Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage boats that make a splash with their dash!! (pics)

Warbaby

One Too Many
And speaking of Amsterdam, my all-time favorite vintage boats are the Dutch salon boats from the 1920s:

SalonBoot.jpg

D4-053_salonboot.jpg

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby said:
And speaking of Amsterdam, my all-time favorite vintage boats are the Dutch salon boats from the 1920s:

[/IMG]

They're fantastic. I'd love to take one up a river on a picnic cruise.

DB- Where's you get the pocket battleship pics? That's a beautiful "toy". Must have cost a pretty penny.

Richard

LocktownDog said:
DB- Where's you get the pocket battleship pics? That's a beautiful "toy". Must have cost a pretty penny.
Built by a guy named William Terra out of somewhere in the Northeast, I stumbled across his pics page while doing research on the WWII German Kriegsmarine.

What I have in mind is a similar-sized if not larger replica of the Brooklyn-class USS Nashville, MacArthur's preferred command ship.

Link:
http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmodels/german_models/admiralgrafspeeterra.html

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Warbaby said:
Here are a couple more very stylish vintage boats that I spotted (and lusted after) when we were living in Hamsterdam.

vintcruiser1.jpg

Ummmm......just as a rule........take the fenders up when you leave the dock!!!!!!!!!!!

Not bad, but I'm partial to rag-wavers myself.

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Here's a beautiful example of a fast commuter yacht.
These yachts, in their day, transported well to do owners
from their Long Island mansions to their offices in New York City.
Mohican is a 1929 66' fast commuter built by Consolidated.
_zoom_Mohican.jpg

_zoom_Photo4.jpg

_zoom_Photo3.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Xochimilco

Xochimilco14.jpg

In Mexico City, there is a water park called Xochimilco, which is the last of the lakes that used to fill the Valley of Mexico.
You can rent a chanampa with a driver (they pole them like gondolas) and it has a table and benches down the middle so you can sit and eat and drink. Little old ladies come upt o your boat in canoes and sell you buckets of beer in ice and corn onthe cob, fresh from the boiling water pot on coals in their boat.
People will rent several boats and lash them together to make a big party boat. Musicians come around and tie their boat to yours and serenade you.
Originally these painted name paques on the ends of the boats used to be done in fresh flowers everyday, sadly they have lost that custom.
But it's still a wonderful experience!

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Here's another commuter yacht.
This golden era of yacht building brought about some of the most beautiful yachts ever designed.
This boat is Aphrodite a 1937 fast commuter yacht built by the Purdy Boat Yard
aphrodite2006.jpg

aphrodite.jpg

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Brinybay said:
Did you ever get out there? Take any pics?

Nope. Net yet. Every free weekend I've had since finding out about this, it has snowed like an antarctic witch up on that mountain. :rage: Boys and I have nothing to do this weekend, but guess what?.... that's right ... here come the storms again.

Richard

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Here's a fun shot of my old girl out of her element.
She's was out for a couple months for a refit.
Thankfully she is now back in the water!
DSC00637.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
This new title made me expect to see an engine-turned engine panel stocked with vintage Stewart-Warner gauges. I love those old mahogany boats - though I'm more into the runabouts than the yacht-type craft.

-Dave

dsn-cbxe3.jpg

1933_sterling.jpg

Memnon

New in Town
That first boat in the thread is an art-deco masterpiece. There's something that's so ultra-modern looking about that period that I really don't feel today...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thought I would revive a great thread! There are many that say the Typhoon is the most beautiful boat ever made, who am I to argue. Edsel Ford commissioned George Crouch to design a beautiful and fast boat. Built by Henry B. Nevins Shipyard in City Island, NY, she cost $39,000. In 1930 you could buy a 4 bedroom, brick house for $2500, a Dual Cowl Phaeton Duesenberg cost $15,000, such was the exquisite taste of Edsel, (he had nothing to do with the abomination that carried his name after his death!) Powered by several different engines over the years, from a Write Typhoon dirigible V12 to a 1500hp Packard V12, all to make it go faster. She was sold to one Howard Hughes, who managed to have barrels of high octane aviation fuel delivered at the height of WWII gas rationing! Sadly, she was lost in a fire, but at least one replica has been built!
IMG_5460_zpshl8wdovr.jpg
PNG_typhoon92site_zpsmnrxddnb.png

Reactions: WH1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko