Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage bosalino felt question

Interesting. What you see there is an artifact left over from the time when hats had a draw string at the back that actually worked. It truly was a one size nearly fits all case. LOL
The one you picture does not appear to be working but just ornamentation. This explains why we have the odd little bow at the back of our hats still today.
I know this because it came from a very informed master craftsman. We were discussing this a few weeks ago. His initials are AF. :D Dang college experience keeps me constantly seeking useless knowledge a decade after I graduated. LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Perforations and ribbon

GColling, did you notice the ribbon thru the perforations. It is to "snug up" a loose fitting hat with the bow. It is functional on this vintage hat, not on most others. It is very nice detail featufe.

John Galt

Vendor
I have a Borsolino "Serikon" plush hat with a pretty stingy 1 3/4 brim from the "original house" that I picked up on Ebay for about $14.00 a while back. I don't know the vintage, but it's got a white liner, and a white tag with a blue lettering. It also has a 1 7/8 dark brown sweatband. The plush felt sure feels "buttery," but the hat doesn't look that old & could be brand new by appearances. I have been collecting vintage hats for about 10 years and have some pretty decent quality Stetsons and Resistols, so I believe I have a pretty fair eye for quality. I have a hard time imagining a hat with this sort of "hand" as the kind of low quality modern Borsalino described in this thread. I bought this hat mostly because it was a Borsalino at a great "buy it now" price, but I have to say that I really do like the hat, and have even gotten to the point where I can wear it in public without feeling too self-conscious about the plush felt. I would post a pic, but am too much of a newby. Comments?

John Galt

Vendor
Like this one? 1960s - 1970s most likely, prior to the factory relocation.

Again, sorry for the delay. I saw the one you linked to before it went down, and mine is a bit different. It is a chocolate (beaver) colored brown with alternating "links" of light and chocolate brown felt for the band. Will post pics tonight if I can get permissions & don't get jammed up.

John Galt

Vendor
Are you having technical trouble posting your picture?

Technical problems posting photos are now in full swing. I have been reviewing the FAQ and still haven't been able to figure out why I can't post an attachment. I apparently still don't have permission, but that doesn't seem to be the only problem. I am now quite frustrated.

John Galt

Vendor
6321649806_c99e666ea7_m.jpg
6321649264_dee5a2d93b_m.jpg
6321125619_b114622b7b_m.jpg
6321649408_0a674e38a0_m.jpg

Well, that was interesting. Here's my Borsalino Serikon. Hope it was worth the wait ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart