Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage caps

I wonder what Max thinks about him issuing his teeth that way.
NQv1anl.png

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
OK, these caps may not be as old as some, but these two Irish brothers are. Or were. Here's some of the info on them, from a book called Vanishing Ireland:
Sprawled high upon the Blackstairs Mountains, the Murphy brothers’ farmstead is sheltered from the whistling winds by the rump of a grassy field, a maze of stone walls and a solitary row of Leyland cypress that seem to shiver incessantly.

Neither Sim nor his younger brother, Jimmy, know when the first Murphy came here – ‘generations and generations’ is their best guess. Murphys galore are recorded here in Knockymullgurry townland in the 1911 census, and when Sir Richard Griffith was making his valuations back in the 1840s, he clocked two Murphys ‘of Knock’, Andrew and Peter. Indeed, it’s little surprise that the closest village is called Ballymurphy.

Ballymurphy is where the Murphys prayed. ‘Oh, by God, we went to church every Sunday,’ says Jimmy. ‘And we prayed here at home too.’ Given that their kitchen wall is bedecked with images of the Blessed Virgin, the Messiah, the pope and the Sacred Heart, that is not a surprise.

You’d need religion to live in a place like this.

That’s what strikes me as we watch Jimmy come down from the mountain where he has been up feeding his cattle. He may be eighty-six but Jimmy still rides up there every day, seated upon a well-trimmed work horse. The cattle feed is transported in a half-dozen white sacks – bound with the same twine Jimmy uses as a belt – which hang down either side of the horse’s back.

Back in his kitchen, Jimmy spreads out his soot-black hands and urges us to take a seat ‘It’s cold enough up there,’ he says. ‘Will you have a cup of tea?’
The tea is made with soft rain pumped from a mountain stream. We sit and drink a while.
45355423_10218666268674709_3636525221562810368_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21