Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage caps

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Much appreciated. I've been travelling a bit lately and always bring my leather jacket. Well, we all know what happens when you pair a fedora and a leather jacket, so I'm trying to decide which is worse:"Hey, it's Indiana Jones," or "Gee, you look just like your old man!" Luckily, most people I meet travelling didn't know my dad, so I'll go with the caps.

That's my approach, too. When I wear my leather jacket, the cap goes on the head, for the same reason. Although I don't have to worry about comparisons to my dad...

GregNYC

One Too Many
Tropicalbob, you bring up a couple of very interesting points. I have some great leather jackets and thus far have never worn a felt fedora with any of them! Like you say, we know what happens. Caps do look cool with them though.

As for my father, no longer with us -- he wore caps and hats. I do look like he did at my age. I like the styles he wore.

Some caps may add years to one's appearance because of being associated with old men. My age permits this ambiguity.

So something funny happened a few weeks ago. I went to John Wick in the theaters about a month ago. I was wearing a non-vintage Kangol ivy cap with a tweed gun-club check. I go to the movies every week, but for the first time in my life, I was given a "senior discount" ticket!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
a group of English actors on a ship crossing the Atlantic to do a traveling show in the US. Seated at far left in the dark coat is Arthur Stanley Jefferson, soon to be better known as Stan Laurel, before he met Oliver Hardy:

stanlaurel.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Black River Falls (vicinity), Wisconsin. April-June 1937. Photographs show families who live on small farms in cut-over areas. Dilapidated log cabins and shacks; interior details. Poor families; Bohemian farm families.

SHORPY-8b38873a1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21