Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage caps

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
In Ireland, 101 years ago:

219504_orig.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Crazy Kid
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv332%3A6%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B63%3A465434%3Bnu0mrj

Say Greg are there still pushcart hotdog vendors in NYC I sure miss em
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34754%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3B63%3A465534%3Bnu0mrj
:cool:

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Did the 8 dart cap start to go out of fashion in the 1930s in favour of the round two-piece and the 8 panel newsboy? I've found that photos I see of the octagonal darted caps tend to be from the 1920s mainly.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Did the 8 dart cap start to go out of fashion in the 1930s in favour of the round two-piece and the 8 panel newsboy? I've found that photos I see of the octagonal darted caps tend to be from the 1920s mainly.

You may be right. I've noticed that too on vintage pictures. But maybe one of the other loungers knows for sure.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Since I am originally from Philadelphia, I had to
add the pretzel man and his cap.
Even back in the sixties, pretzel vendors
wore these caps we called Jeffs. They
would wheel their carts up to the school
yard fence, take orders and pass pretzels
with mustard through the hurricane fence
openings. Several would first, of course,
wipe their nose on their shirt sleeve.
Violated every health code, yet no one
ever got sick.
http://www.phillyhistory.org/blog/index.php/2014/07/it-all-comes-down-to-yo/

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Interesting story to them as well. A thirteen year old boy had been drowned and the police hired Engelhart & sons to help find the body. When the sons couldn't find anything after several hours, mister Engelhart himself (who was 70 at the time!) went into the water and found the boy's collar and tie.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Interesting story to them as well. A thirteen year old boy had been drowned and the police hired Engelhart & sons to help find the body. When the sons couldn't find anything after several hours, mister Engelhart himself (who was 70 at the time!) went into the water and found the boy's collar and tie.

I was hoping you could give us the history behind the pic, thanks.

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
My pleasure! I only stumbled across the story after I had posted the photos. It actually gets even worse. The boy was sent to the bank with a fake cheque worth 760 guilders (about 4500 euros nowadays) by two guys. When he came back with the money, these two lured him onto a rowboat and killed him. Here is a collection of articles regarding the case (in Dutch): http://oudheidkameroostzaan.nl/?p=252 if you are interested. (It has some more photos, too) It seems like it caused quite an uproar (logically so!). There was even a song written about it.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
My pleasure! I only stumbled across the story after I had posted the photos. It actually gets even worse. The boy was sent to the bank with a fake cheque worth 760 guilders (about 4500 euros nowadays) by two guys. When he came back with the money, these two lured him onto a rowboat and killed him. Here is a collection of articles regarding the case (in Dutch): http://oudheidkameroostzaan.nl/?p=252 if you are interested. (It has some more photos, too) It seems like it caused quite an uproar (logically so!). There was even a song written about it.
:eeek::eeek::eeek: So tragic....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points