Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

HeyMoe

Practically Family
He doesn't have a computer right now so I told him about tapatalk app which is a mobile forum viewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Here you go GHT, speaking of MG badge!
Morgan9_zpsc645956d.jpg

Oh wow! Just wow!
One of our television companies ran a series called: "For The Love of Cars." If you click on that link, it will give you all seven episodes. Click on the car on episode five, if it comes up on your side of the pond, look for the GI, who, now 90, still drives the MG that he had shipped back home at the end of WW2. He is some character, and his car's not bad either.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Oh wow! Just wow!
One of our television companies ran a series called: "For The Love of Cars." If you click on that link, it will give you all seven episodes. Click on the car on episode five, if it comes up on your side of the pond, look for the GI, who, now 90, still drives the MG that he had shipped back home at the end of WW2. He is some character, and his car's not bad either.

Darn, "not available in your area!" I will see if I can find it elsewhere. Thanks.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Hey I have a question that hopefully someone knows the answer to:

My 39 Dodge's front bench seat keeps slipping out of it's locked position. It does this at the most inopportune times like when going uphill or doing a hill start. It is very bad when someone is on the passenger side, the thing just moves freely.

Anyone have any idea how to keep the darn thing in place?

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Moe,

You may have to take the seat up and replace the spring that hold the lock in place-I am assuming there is one. If not then you may have to clean the lock mech. up so that things stay locked into place. There may be enough rust/corrosion so that things don't seat very well. Just my guess.

Mike

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
There is a latch mechanism under the seat. Usually two, one on each side, connected by a wire.

Over the years they get dirty, the wire sags or breaks, and the seat does not move and latch as it should.

There were also springs to pull the seat forward, making adjustments easy.

To fix it properly you need to remove the seat. Not a huge job as it is held by only 4 bolts through the floor.

You should also find that there are extra adjustments. By rebolting the seat to the tracks in a different position you can move it a few inches forward or back, up or down.

It is also possible to add or remove seat springs for a custom fit.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hey I have a question that hopefully someone knows the answer to:

Me too. Older cars, that run off a dynamo, can have electrical starvation if too many extras are fitted. It would be easy to fit a modern alternator, but not so easy if the car's polarity is positive earth. The one problem that I go out of my way to avoid, is the stop start traffic queue. The temperature guage has risen when in this situation, but as yet, it hasn't boiled over.

To correct the overheating, it wouldn't be too difficult to fit a temperature sensitive radiator fan, if I can find such a part with the correct polarity. But fitting additional electrics can cause breakdowns, due to insufficient electricity reaching the spark plugs. Suggestions anyone?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
99 percent of voltage problems in a 6 volt car are caused by poor wiring -- a 6 volt is much more sensitive to corroded connections, bad grounds, etc. than a 12 volt car. Replace the wiring harness, make sure you have battery cables that are actually correct for a 6 volt battery, and you won't have problems. I did this and I have zero electrical troubles.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
GHT, as far as the overheating goes....I assume your radiator is perfectly clean along with the block....Maybe, a thermostat to slow the water down just enough so that it dissipates more heat? Otherwise there is a blockage somewhere, rust, grease from the water pump, something is obstructing the water flow. Have you backflushed it?

Mike

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. Mike, as far as I know, the radiator and engine block are clear. The car hasn't actually overheated, but when stationary, or crawling along, there's no incoming wind through the radiator to cool the water, that's why I thought a fan would help. Perhaps it's best just to carry on avoiding dense traffic, although I will check on the thermostat. Thanks again.

Talbot

One Too Many
Not a solution to your problems, but a tip given to me by an old timer is to roll down the windows and turn the heater on.

When your engine temp guage starts to climb this will help take some heat out.

Not pleasant but worth remembering if you are caught.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I took my little granddaughter out for a ride to Paddy's Creek in the old '48 Plymouth today. When we got back home she said, "teach me to drive, Granddaddy." I told her that I would - just as soon as her feet touched the pedals AND she could see over the dash - all at the same time. I think that satisfied her, at least for a little while.

This reminded me of a story about my Dad and another old car that took place at this same house and along this same driveway. When my Dad was a boy, the family had a 1927 Oldsmobile four-door sedan. My Dad must have been about 10 or so years old at the time. He and some of his friends pushed the '27 Olds to the end of the driveway and then let it roll back down the drive (it is an ever so gentle slope) while they steered the car. On one run down the drive, while my Dad was behind the wheel, one of his friends yelled out, "look, Bill, there's a cow in your Maw's cornfield." Of course my Dad looked, and while he was looking drove straight into the grapevine that ran along the side of the driveway. That put a quick end to his driving for a while.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
For overheating or marginal heating problems one simple thing is often overlooked. That is, a buildup of dirt and bugs in the radiator. Clean by blowing out the dirt from behind with a compressed air hose or vacuuming from the front. The air hose is more effective if you have one.

You might be surprised how much dirt is clogging the rad, and impeding air flow.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab

I took my little granddaughter out for a ride to Paddy's Creek in the old '48 Plymouth today. When we got back home she said, "teach me to drive, Granddaddy." I told her that I would - just as soon as her feet touched the pedals AND she could see over the dash - all at the same time. I think that satisfied her, at least for a little while.

This reminded me of a story about my Dad and another old car that took place at this same house and along this same driveway. When my Dad was a boy, the family had a 1927 Oldsmobile four-door sedan. My Dad must have been about 10 or so years old at the time. He and some of his friends pushed the '27 Olds to the end of the driveway and then let it roll back down the drive (it is an ever so gentle slope) while they steered the car. On one run down the drive, while my Dad was behind the wheel, one of his friends yelled out, "look, Bill, there's a cow in your Maw's cornfield." Of course my Dad looked, and while he was looking drove straight into the grapevine that ran along the side of the driveway. That put a quick end to his driving for a while.

In the old days you would have held her on your lap and let her "drive" along a quiet country road.

That was back before seat belts and car seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran