Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes...Dearborn Classics. They're good.
Also, if your pockets are particularly deep, you could try Dennis Carpenter. He probably has what you need, but he's proud of it. Consider yourself warned.

I've looked through their catalogs (both print and on-line) and don't see anything that would work for my car. I have purchased a couple things in the past from Carpenter, and yes they do like their things, but I have found them to be of good quality.

I’m not an expert but from my experience on a good deal on a repaint.
I have some questions.

Before applying the paint, what are they going to do as far as preparation of the metal ?

Will it be done to bare metal ?

If not, what type of paint do you have on your car ?

What type of paint will they be applying.

My paint job was excellent, but it only lasted for about over a year before signs of
peeling showed up in certain spots.
A well done paint job that last for a longer period takes good preparation before
applying the paint.

As far as the chrome on your bumpers.

I made the mistake of replacing my original front bumper with a new chromed bumper.
But the bumper came from overseas & began to tarnish over a year.

I found out that there are different levels of chrome & are priced accordingly.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product .

Good Luck !

:doh:
Good advice. Sorry to hear about the problems.

+1 on the crappy import repro stuff. The fit and finish is poor. I go with NOS or good used original when and if I can.

Big Man

I’m not an expert but from my experience on a good deal on a repaint.
I have some questions.

Before applying the paint, what are they going to do as far as preparation of the metal ?

Will it be done to bare metal ?

If not, what type of paint do you have on your car ?

What type of paint will they be applying.

My paint job was excellent, but it only lasted for about over a year before signs of
peeling showed up in certain spots.
A well done paint job that last for a longer period takes good preparation before
applying the paint.

As far as the chrome on your bumpers.

I made the mistake of replacing my original front bumper with a new chromed bumper.
But the bumper came from overseas & began to tarnish over a year.

I found out that there are different levels of chrome & are priced accordingly.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product .

Good Luck !

All good questions.

The guy who will be re-painting my '65 has been in the business for about 30 years and his reputation is sterling. I've known him all that time, and "my family has known his family" for a couple generations. As a matter of fact, he painted my '65 about 30 years ago when I got it from my aunt. I should have had it re-painted about 10 years ago, but things just got in the way. If his work lasted well for 20 + years, I'm not worried about it now.

As to the bumpers, I'm going blind on this one. I've never dealt with that kind of thing before. Just yesterday, I located a place in Arkansas, Born Again Classics, that seems very willing to work with me. We've exchanged e-mails about the bumpers and I plan on giving them a call within the next couple days to talk specifics.

Last edited:

Big Man

Well, I just secured a front and rear bumper for my 1965 Ford Custom 500. I got up with Mark Reynolds from Born Again Classics in Arkansas and, just as a coincidence, got a set of bumpers that would fit my car finished up yesterday. I took that as a good sign.

We talked this morning for a long time and I sent him a deposit to hold the bumpers. When my car goes in the shop in a couple weeks, I'll send him my old bumpers and he'll send the "new" ones back. Very nice guy to talk with and has some excellent references. When everything gets finished, I know I'll be sharing some photos.

Well, I just secured a front and rear bumper for my 1965 Ford Custom 500. I got up with Mark Reynolds from Born Again Classics in Arkansas and, just as a coincidence, got a set of bumpers that would fit my car finished up yesterday. I took that as a good sign.

We talked this morning for a long time and I sent him a deposit to hold the bumpers. When my car goes in the shop in a couple weeks, I'll send him my old bumpers and he'll send the "new" ones back. Very nice guy to talk with and has some excellent references. When everything gets finished, I know I'll be sharing some photos.

Perfect. :thumb:

Big Man

I was riding through town today minding my own business when I saw this '53 Chevy Bel Air that yelled out to me "stop and look at me." I went as far as talking to the guy that owned the car and before I left he said he would take $5,000 for it. I was afraid to look too closely or ask too many questions right off the bat. I just might have to ride back by there tomorrow or the next day and look a little closer. Actually, I was afraid to look too close or ask too many questions, because when I saw the car the bank was still open. My better judgment said to move along before I made a commitment.

I was riding through town today minding my own business when I saw this '53 Chevy Bel Air that yelled out to me "stop and look at me." I went as far as talking to the guy that owned the car and before I left he said he would take $5,000 for it. I was afraid to look too closely or ask too many questions right off the bat. I just might have to ride back by there tomorrow or the next day and look a little closer. Actually, I was afraid to look too close or ask too many questions, because when I saw the car the bank was still open. My better judgment said to move along before I made a commitment.
Uhhhmmmm......if you're looking for help saying no to that deal I think you're looking in the wrong thread. [emoji3]

ingineer

One Too Many
Dang Big Man
that looks concourse
at least put a deposit on it
For 5K? even if the bearings are spun easy correct.
i'd be camping out on the lot
Re-chromed bumpers, solid body
What more do you want?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yes, yes, yes, buy it Big Man! Oops, guise I am not very good at the twelve step program for addiction recovery!

Big Man

Uhhhmmmm......if you're looking for help saying no to that deal I think you're looking in the wrong thread. [emoji3]

Don't I know it. :D

I need another old car like I need a hole in my head. While that is a really good deal on that car, it's still a lot of money to spend. My real problem is, a "normal" person could pick that '53 up for 5k and turn around and sell it for a profit. If not that, a "normal" person could buy that '53 for 5k and then sell one of his other old cars and not be out any money. Unfortunately, I just not a "normal" person. If I get something I like, I end up keeping it forever.

All last night I could hear that '53 Chevy calling my name. I'm trying hard to talk myself out of buying that car.

I need another old car like I need a hole in my head. While that is a really good deal on that car, it's still a lot of money to spend. My real problem is, a "normal" person could pick that '53 up for 5k and turn around and sell it for a profit. If not that, a "normal" person could buy that '53 for 5k and then sell one of his other old cars and not be out any money. Unfortunately, I just not a "normal" person. If I get something I like, I end up keeping it forever.
I am exactly the same way! :doh:

At least I don't get grief from Mrs. 1M1. Well, not that much grief. :p

Big Man

I am exactly the same way! :doh:

At least I don't get grief from Mrs. 1M1. Well, not that much grief. :p

My wife is the same way. She says, "well, you know what you're doing, get it if you want to." While I am thankful for the support, it doesn't make it any easier to walk away from what I know is a good deal.

If that Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol van would just pull up in my driveway, I'd be set ...

Every single person on this thread knows what a car like this is worth better than I, but that is a stunning car, has Big Man written all over it and in a world in which $5000 is still a lot of money, but ain't at all what it used to be - that doesn't sound like a crazy price. I'd love to see you enjoying it.

I keep scrolling up to look at it. It is really sharp looking.

Big Man

Every single person on this thread knows what a car like this is worth better than I, but that is a stunning car, has Big Man written all over it and in a world in which $5000 is still a lot of money, but ain't at all what it used to be - that doesn't sound like a crazy price. I'd love to see you enjoying it.

I keep scrolling up to look at it. It is really sharp looking.

You are not making this any easier, but then I would expect no less. :)

If I hadn't already committed to having my '65 Ford painted in the next couple weeks, not to mention investing over $1,000 in new chrome bumpers, AND not to mention I'm still in the process (too far in to stop now) of restoring my '61 Chevy, then this find would be a no-brainier. I know I'm going to be kicking myself in the butt for passing on this car, but then I'd probably kick myself more if I went ahead and spent that much "extra" money.

Then, again, I could go back to work part-time and make a little extra cash till my Social Security starts up in a couple years ...

You are not making this any easier, but then I would expect no less. :)

If I hadn't already committed to having my '65 Ford painted in the next couple weeks, not to mention investing over $1,000 in new chrome bumpers, AND not to mention I'm still in the process (too far in to stop now) of restoring my '61 Chevy, then this find would be a no-brainier. I know I'm going to be kicking myself in the butt for passing on this car, but then I'd probably kick myself more if I went ahead and spent that much "extra" money.

Then, again, I could go back to work part-time and make a little extra cash till my Social Security starts up in a couple years ...

An "extra" car is not a small purchase. However, I was surprised (again, as someone who has lived in NYC for decades and hasn't owned a car since '89) that it only cost $5000, especially as it cosmetically (at least) looks to be in decent shape. But I do understand that cars - especially old ones - are negative cash-flow assets so they are not small undertakings.

I only chimed in as it so has you written all over it. But I'll always encourage and respect financial prudence.

Big Man

... I only chimed in as it so has you written all over it. But I'll always encourage and respect financial prudence.

Blah, blah, blah. Now you're trying to make me feel good about passing up this great deal. Well, it's not working. :D

That part-time job option is starting to sound really good ...

Boy......if I had a dollar for every time I had to make the financially prudent decision, I could buy that car AND all the gas it would take to drive up there and get it. [emoji3]
Certainly everyone here understands that situation, though.[emoji20]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy