Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

fashion frank

One Too Many
Wow looking at the size of the block itself its awesome !

I had a Hudson Hornet with twin carbs ,was a six cylinder and had a huge block ,looking at that one made me think of the hudson.
I am I getting this right ,that car still was running with the piston like that ?

All the Best , Fashion Frank

fashion frank

One Too Many
I said wow once already but I gotta say it again WOW , to think it was still running with a piston like that truly amazing !

This got me to thinking about the cars I had in the past .
Right now it's a 1995 toyota camry and a 2006 toyota sienna .
I also own a 1987 honda keyster 750 motorcycle that I restored ,a 1997 harley davidson sportster 1200 stock ,a 2006 harley davidson road king classic.

Thats what I presently own ,BUT in the past ( I am 57 so I've had a ton of cars ) my favorite cars and I owned more than one at a time were , 1957 desoto firedome w/ a hemi wedge engine ,it looked like the batmobile ,a 1953 or 54 hudson hornet sedan a 1953 chevy ,w/ a three speed on the column.

Boy oh boy I wish I had even one of them now . [huh]
May I ask what the exact model of your car is ?

All the Best , Fashion Frank

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Thats way cool ,that must have been one of the last models made before the war when they switched over to making tanks instead of cars ,good luck with it.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Hundreds of thousands of those engines were used during the war in various applications including tanks.

Believe it or not, Chrysler built an engine for Sherman tanks using 5 engines like Lizzie's arranged like the petals of a flower. This gave them a 30 cylinder , 21 liter, 470HP tank engine.

It was developed in under 2 months when tank engines promised to Chrysler by Ford were not forthcoming.

The engine was something of a stopgap and was replaced as soon as better engines became available. Still, tests at the Aberdeen Proving Ground proved it one of the most reliable engines they had. There were also stories of tanks returning on their own power after 2 of the 5 banks were disabled by enemy fire. That would be impossible with any conventional engine.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Chrysler-A57-MultiBank-Engine/A_112613/article.html

Hundreds of thousands of those engines were used during the war in various applications including tanks.

Believe it or not, Chrysler built an engine for Sherman tanks using 5 engines like Lizzie's arranged like the petals of a flower. This gave them a 30 cylinder , 21 liter, 470HP tank engine.

It was developed in under 2 months when tank engines promised to Chrysler by Ford were not forthcoming.

The engine was something of a stopgap and was replaced as soon as better engines became available. Still, tests at the Aberdeen Proving Ground proved it one of the most reliable engines they had. There were also stories of tanks returning on their own power after 2 of the 5 banks were disabled by enemy fire. That would be impossible with any conventional engine.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Chrysler-A57-MultiBank-Engine/A_112613/article.html

Looks like an engine designed by Rube Goldberg. :p

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
After yet another summer of not using our ‘68 Camaro convertible, and instead hauling the family on road trips in my wife’s modern car, I’ve finally decided that it’s time to reorganize my automotive priorities.

I’m now on the hunt for something like this: a large, ‘49 to ‘54 convertible to replace my Camaro and Falcons. I’ve mentioned elsewhere I’d been thinking about getting a sedan or wagon from this period as a road-trip car - this supplants that idea.

I feel very bad getting rid of the Camaro, as I fixed it up with my father, who is gone now. But I never anticipated having three kids to haul around, along with their assorted accouterments. I was never much of a muscle-car guy anyway.

So, if anyone knows of any ‘50s ragtops for sale in the $15,000 to $20,000 range; shoot me a PM, would you?

Incidentally, this won’t be a daily driver for me - it will be stored winters. I’m looking for a used late-model Mustang or small pickup (S-10/Sonoma, Ranger/Mazda B, Tacoma, Frontier) to fill that role. The lawyer says passenger car and the tinkerer says pickup. I guess we’ll see.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
After yet another summer of not using our ‘68 Camaro convertible, and instead hauling the family on road trips in my wife’s modern car, I’ve finally decided that it’s time to reorganize my automotive priorities.

I’m now on the hunt for something like this: a large, ‘49 to ‘54 convertible to replace my Camaro and Falcons. I’ve mentioned elsewhere I’d been thinking about getting a sedan or wagon from this period as a road-trip car - this supplants that idea.

I feel very bad getting rid of the Camaro, as I fixed it up with my father, who is gone now. But I never anticipated having three kids to haul around, along with their assorted accouterments. I was never much of a muscle-car guy anyway.

So, if anyone knows of any ‘50s ragtops for sale in the $15,000 to $20,000 range; shoot me a PM, would you?

Incidentally, this won’t be a daily driver for me - it will be stored winters. I’m looking for a used late-model Mustang or small pickup (S-10/Sonoma, Ranger/Mazda B, Tacoma, Frontier) to fill that role. The lawyer says passenger car and the tinkerer says pickup. I guess we’ll see.
Dave,so does that mean the Ragtop Camaro is for sale?

Talbot

One Too Many

Interesting article, thanks.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
My brother found this while parting out a 1959 Plymouth. Anyone know when credit cards first appeared? This one must be close to the beginning!

imagethbh.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
My brother found this while parting out a 1959 Plymouth. Anyone know when credit cards first appeared? This one must be close to the beginning!

imagethbh.jpg

I believe the first credit cards were called "charge plates" and were issued by department stores in the thirties. Interesting question.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I've found a car I'd love to own. I know it probably won't appeal to most American Loungers, but I adore it. It's a 1938 Morris 8 roadster. I may have to take a trip up to Pambula for a test drive. It reminds me of Noddy's car!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28103426...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1219
meNnHeftGRO4gND2MFhGvMg.jpg
noddy-and-his-car.jpg
I cant speak for all Americans, but this one thinks that it is a really cool car. It would definitely be a hit at any car gathering. Even Hot Rod drivers would get a kick out of it. I say, if you can afford it, buy it, you will only regret not owning it! Plus, if you do buy it, please post photos of the car.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I've found a car I'd love to own. I know it probably won't appeal to most American Loungers, but I adore it. It's a 1938 Morris 8 roadster. I may have to take a trip up to Pambula for a test drive. It reminds me of Noddy's car!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28103426...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1219
noddy-and-his-car.jpg

Noddy's car. lol lol I know that car because my son used to watch the show. If it will do all things that car did then that would be one heck of a car. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I believe the first credit cards were called "charge plates" and were issued by department stores in the thirties. Interesting question.

Oil companies were issuing paper credit cards in the thirties as well, mostly to business customers, but the embossed plastic ones didn't come along until the late fifties or early sixties depending on the company. Texaco was still using paper as late as 1956.

Rathdown

Practically Family
noddy-and-his-car.jpg
Morris 8s are great little cars, although a trifle underpowered for day to day driving. I'd say buy it and drive it and, if you decide you need more poke under the bonnet, you can always replace the Morris 8 engine with the 1275cc engine and gearbox from a 60's MG Midget or Austin Healey Sprite for a bit more oomph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart