Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
Trying to find a back window for my buddy's '48 Dodge. Someone thought that breaking the windows out of every car on his street would make for a good time.

306816_320836164675961_1295836920_n.jpg

59Lark

Practically Family
Folks; it seems that a lot of you loungers are trading or selling your classics, as for me I have had my studebaker for nearly 25 years, and this year I came close but a millonare solved the problem, for me, offering a 59 lark v 8 with an original 50, ooo miles an arizona car for $3500. finding out that my vans all broke down, my roof was leaking and then my foundation let go, he offered me 2ooo. dollars and my answer was come on over, we are gonna burn it in the driveway in front of you first. then he said okay i will give you want you want and then the day he was coming he tried $3200. so i said stay home, I dont want to sell it to you. Since then my brother took the engine and tranny out of one van and put it in the other, the high miler actually was the more reliable engine, had it since new and changed the oil reg. The other van became a donor and we bought a carvan something that i said i would never own, but $1500. for a running van, everything works and its got 340,ooo km on it, but it was owned by a mechanic and he fixed everything, how many 12 cars the ac actually works, so re mortaged the house, new roof and fixed the foundation, we are back in business, moral of my story keep your car if you love it, it might be the only one you get. 59Lark#

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Folks; it seems that a lot of you loungers are trading or selling your classics, as for me I have had my studebaker for nearly 25 years, and this year I came close but a millonare solved the problem, for me, offering a 59 lark v 8 with an original 50, ooo miles an arizona car for $3500. finding out that my vans all broke down, my roof was leaking and then my foundation let go, he offered me 2ooo. dollars and my answer was come on over, we are gonna burn it in the driveway in front of you first. then he said okay i will give you want you want and then the day he was coming he tried $3200. so i said stay home, I dont want to sell it to you. Since then my brother took the engine and tranny out of one van and put it in the other, the high miler actually was the more reliable engine, had it since new and changed the oil reg. The other van became a donor and we bought a carvan something that i said i would never own, but $1500. for a running van, everything works and its got 340,ooo km on it, but it was owned by a mechanic and he fixed everything, how many 12 cars the ac actually works, so re mortaged the house, new roof and fixed the foundation, we are back in business, moral of my story keep your car if you love it, it might be the only one you get. 59Lark#

I'm sorry to hear about all your home and automotive words of woe, and glad to hear you got things mended. And you are right about keeping the car. Especially when someone does not keep their word about an agreed on price. It is always best to give people like that the "bums rush."

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Ok, getting my Walter Mitty on this morning. I’ve looked at an ad for this beauty several times over the last few months, but always overlooked it because the Fireball Eight is locked up from rust and water:

3E53Ge3p45If5G45K1ccj3d5726d2e1a21339.jpg

Suddenly, however, that’s feeling less insurmountable. Especially if the body’s as good as it looks. What do you think? Good buy for $1200?

Ok, getting my Walter Mitty on this morning. I’ve looked at an ad for this beauty several times over the last few months, but always overlooked it because the Fireball Eight is locked up from rust and water:
3E53Ge3p45If5G45K1ccj3d5726d2e1a21339.jpg

Suddenly, however, that’s feeling less insurmountable. Especially if the body’s as good as it looks. What do you think? Good buy for $1200?

The question has a few areas to consider:
ONE are you willing to replace or rebuild the engine.
TWO Will you be able to budget for the expenses to get it road worthy.
THREE do it in a time frame that makes it something you will finish.

The reason I ask is a have several friends that have restoration projects they haven't started in over 6 years.
Other friends have projects that have slumped to a halt with little indication they will be resumed in this lifetime.

For some people they are better off with something that runs and can be registered than a project car.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The question has a few areas to consider:
ONE are you willing to replace or rebuild the engine.

Yup. The price on this one is so low, it leaves ample room for a rebuild (especially once the Falcons are sold). Which is good, as the rebuild kits are not inexpensive.

TWO Will you be able to budget for the expenses to get it road worthy.

I will have to look it over to see what it needs, but I believe so. I’m pretty good with the mechanicals, I just don’t do paint and body very well. That’s what’s nice about this one - it’s a Tennessee car with minimal rust.

THREE do it in a time frame that makes it something you will finish.

Again, I believe so. No full restoration planned, just a clean-up, rebuild, and drive. Major dis-assembly is not in the cards.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Again, I believe so. No full restoration planned, just a clean-up, rebuild, and drive. Major dis-assembly is not in the cards.[/QUOTE]

Aaaahhh, the famous last words. From your post you said the engine was locked up, that is going to be at least $2500 and plan on doing the tranny and maybe the rear end. Don't forget the brakes and steering....See where this is going? I am just saying if you can't drive the car you ahve no way of knowing if these things are up to snuff. The price is really good if the body is straight and the interior is good. Just plan on digging into the power train just in case until proven otherwise.

Good luck,

Mike

Rathdown

Practically Family
I'd rate any quality, rust free car of the '50s a fair buy at something around $1000, so your Buick is probably close to the mark concerning value. $1200 is probably pretty good if it includes delivery. So, if ya like it, buy it, and don't worry too much about the price. Worst case scenario all you are doing is paying next year's price for the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy