Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
In my mind, three factors weigh in favor of making this trade:

1) The abbreviated 1942 model year - which makes the car rarer and therefore somewhat more desireable;
2) The family connection to a 1942 Plymouth; and
3) The extra cash.

Three factors also weigh against:

1) The abbreviated 1942 model year - which makes getting correct parts tougher than for the more-common ‘46-‘48 models, although I assume they interchange for the most part;
2) The memories you’ve already created with your 1948 Plymouth; and
3) The poorer condition of the ‘42 versus your ‘48.

I’m particularly worried about that last factor, as the current owner wants out of the ‘42 and into a more-common, and nearly identical model badly enough that he will throw in cash.

If you want a project, the ‘42 would probably be worthwhile in my mind, but if you just want to continue cruising and tinkering, I’d stick with the ‘48. Good luck, whatever you choose!

-Dave

Rathdown

Practically Family
A friend of mine once pointed out that you buy an old car as much with your heart as your head.

All things being more or less equal, I'd take the '42 and the cash, and be ready to dump a grand into the '42 during the first year that I owned it (tires, mechanical woes, something will pop up almost before you'll get it home). Ultimately the '42 has two things going for it that your '48 lacks-- one is the emotional connection to your dad, and the other is rarity. Ultimately the '42 is the more valuable car.

Okay, well how close is it in condition to yours? Could you bring it to the same condition as your current car for the 5-800 dollars? I completely understand why you'd want a car just like your father's. I want a 66 Caprice Wagon for the same reason. Just be sure that this 42 is going to do for you what your 48 does.

We haven't gone that far in talking yet. I would think we could trade with somewhere in the $500 to $800 range. I'm still not convinced that I want to trade my '48 yet, but it would be nice to have a '42. I'm going to give it a week or so before talking to him again.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good arguments for and against from everyone. Thanks for your input.

As to the "value" of the two Plymouth's: The '42 at a price of $6500 is more than double what I paid for my '48, so if we traded even I'd still come out ahead money-wise. Of course "value" is relative - it's only important if you plan on selling the car at some point.

I like owning and DRIVING my old car (be it my '48 or, if I trade, the '42), so resale "value" isn't that great of an issue with me. Mechanically and cosmetically I think the two cars are just about equal - excepting for the interior. The interior of the '42, with the exception of the seats, is original. This increases the "value" of the car, but I'm afraid with regular driving it would soon need replacing/restoring. Having the seats recovered (not that they need it, but they just look butt-ugly), would cost me several hundred dollars right off. Again, with the money I have in my '48, I could spend around $3000 on the '42 fixing it up and still be even. Of course, I could keep the '48 and not spend anything.

Do I sound like I'm trying to talk myself into doing something? Maybe that's a sign I need to keep a good thing like my '48. But, then again, that green '42 is a nice looking car ...

Talbot

One Too Many
As to the seats, I fitted NOS Howard Zinc seatcovers to my '54 H/T.

Fit could be better in spots, but its a period correct look and very serviceable. They have been on for about 10 years now, and still in good shape.

T

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Sold the Model A

The title says it all -- well, no, it doesn't. I owned a '31 coupe for 20 years. I sold it two weeks ago. Then I turned around and bought a '63 Ford Falcon Futura convertible, white/red interior/black ragtop. It is on the West Coast; I live near the East Coast. I am trying to decide whether to attempt driving the car here, or placing it on a truck.

I have not decided.

Rathdown

Practically Family
FWIW in my experience it is always cheaper to ship a car from Los Angeles to, say, Richmond, Virginia, than it is to fly out, pick up the car, and drive back. Example: the recent Rolls-Royce Owners Club national meet was held at Lake Tahoe and for what it cost to make the round trip drive (in both time and treasure) it was cheaper to ship a car both ways and fly out for the meet. But as the man said... YMMV :D

Taz-man

Familiar Face
My truck is actually a classic, I wish that I owned something older, but it is a 1970 Chevrolet CST-10 pickup truck. I found the truck about a week after my graduation and I fell in love with it. I bought the truck with my graduation money. The truck is really rare because of the options that the truck has. The CST option is basically the top of the line option which made the truck have all of the deluxe options. It has a 350-CID engine, with the original carb. It also has power steering, and brakes. The truck is painted a metallic Dark Olive with a white roof. I am in the process of restoring it, I am swapping a new set of heads onto the engine and hope to have it running soon.

Talbot

One Too Many
Old vehicles have to survive those unloved years before they become of interest to the masses again.

41 year old trucks need love too! You and Tom aught to compare notes.....

BigFitz

Practically Family
We have several threads for cars in various parts of the forum. But there's always room for more. I have posted pics ad nauseam of my two oldies, but here they are again. By the way, Silver Dollar's modeling skills are amazing.

IMG_5813-1.jpg

1948 Buick Special Model 46S Sedanette

DSC_0375psa.jpg

1958 DeSoto Firedome

Beautiful cars StraightEight! I especially like the Buick but the Desoto is way cool too. Two doors down from my Dad's is a 58 Firedome that's rotting away in the weeds in the back "yard". I first saw it in 1978 when my Dad bought his house and it was already sunk up to the body.

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
Here is a picture of my '29 Chevrolet coupe. It is in very good original condition, but I'd rather have something I can drive farther than just around town. Mechanical brakes and wood spoke wheels are scary on the street, let alone putting the backroads between towns.

IMG_0619.jpg

edit: forgive the mess.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I think you could make some sensitive upgrades that would preserve the character of that ‘29, not be irreversible, and greatly improve the driveability. How about hydraulic drums and 16-inch steel wheels off a ‘40s Chevrolet? It was common for Model As (and we’re not talking hot rods here) to go to 16-inch tires in the 1940s. Some tire dealers even offered remanufactured wheels with 16-inch rims replacing the OE 19- and 21-inch hoops.

Or, I see Coker is offering a 20x4 steel wheel that could potentially fit your 450-20 tires for a more “period accessory” look. You would have to go to five-lug hubs, though.

Of course, once you make the road manners better, you may want to throw an overdrive behind the Stovebolt to keep her alive longer at high speed.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21