Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

The Plodge in action, captured the other day by a local street photographer --

plodgedrive.jpg

I am not giving the Vulcan Salute.
Looks like you put 15 coats of wax on her. Nice!

rjb1

Practically Family
Agree with respect to both car and driver.
It makes me want to cry that I had a 1934 Plymouth 2-door sedan and sold it for hardly anything. Many years ago, but I still regret it.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad you are finally getting to drive the Plodge. OK the front end needs work, this must be getting monotonous.

At least, parts are available and with the front end done over, a good alignment job, and a set of new shock absorbers you will think you are driving a new car, no kidding. I know guys who had this done on old cars and it transformed the driving experience.

I'm glad you are finally getting to drive the Plodge. OK the front end needs work, this must be getting monotonous.

At least, parts are available and with the front end done over, a good alignment job, and a set of new shock absorbers you will think you are driving a new car, no kidding. I know guys who had this done on old cars and it transformed the driving experience.

That is one of those things people don't understand. They think an old car handles like a truck---it does after 50 years of wear. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It isn't any surprise to me -- I'm fifty years old and all my joints are worn out too. I wanted to get the rest of the car dealt with first, get it drivable, and then move on to the fine tuning. It actually handles quite nicely given our crappy roads -- and when I call our roads crap, I'm being charitable, especially the back roads. The steering is extremely smooth for a car of this size, and when it gets tightened up a bit I expect it'll be even better.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Friend of mine had a 51 Chev, he was talking about having the front end cut off and replaced with a Camaro front end with power steering.

I talked him into having it repaired, and an alignment done. This transformed the car and took away all desire for power steering.

You have the advantage that your car has better steering and suspension, and was one of the first cars to adopt tubular shocks, the Chrysler Oriflow shocks, at that time the best on the market.

You can buy modern gas shocks and have a ride like a new car.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Posted this in another thread but figured it was worth a cross post.

Just picked up a 39 Dodge Luxury Liner Deluxe. Original except tires and breaks. Drives like a charm. Bumpers are off right now for rechroming
a8ebyqum.jpg
benu2yde.jpg

Gas ration sticker I added
bysy9yby.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just picked up a 39 Dodge Luxury Liner Deluxe. Original except tires and breaks. Drives like a charm. Bumpers are off right now for rechroming

Very nice.

Very cool ride!!

a8ebyqum.jpg
benu2yde.jpg

bysy9yby.jpg

Obviously a well-loved and well-maintained machine.

The Plodge in action, captured the other day by a local street photographer --

plodgedrive.jpg

I am not giving the Vulcan Salute.

Big Man

Sometimes the strangest things happen ...

My old '48 Plymouth has had a leaking rear wheel brake cylinder for as long as I've had the car. It doesn't leak enough that it has to be fixed right away, but enough that it will need to be one day (way too many other "projects" ahead of this). I'll occasionally add a little brake fluid, but never more than just a little bit to "top off" the master cylinder. The brake pedal has always been a bit "soft", but always stopped the car like it should.

Well, today I get in the car to drive to the Post Office and, what do you know, the brake pedal is nice and "stiff", just like it should be. I can't tell any difference in the way the car stops now with a "stiff" pedal or before with a "soft" pedal.

Also, and I know the two are not related, the fuel gage now works. It never worked before, but now it is registering. Go figure.

Anyone have any thoughts?

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Sometimes the strangest things happen ...

My old '48 Plymouth has had a leaking rear wheel brake cylinder for as long as I've had the car. It doesn't leak enough that it has to be fixed right away, but enough that it will need to be one day (way too many other "projects" ahead of this). I'll occasionally add a little brake fluid, but never more than just a little bit to "top off" the master cylinder. The brake pedal has always been a bit "soft", but always stopped the car like it should.

Well, today I get in the car to drive to the Post Office and, what do you know, the brake pedal is nice and "stiff", just like it should be. I can't tell any difference in the way the car stops now with a "stiff" pedal or before with a "soft" pedal.

Also, and I know the two are not related, the fuel gage now works. It never worked before, but now it is registering. Go figure.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The Cobbler's elves have branched out into auto repair. Feel free to send them my way when you are finished with them.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I went to the early Gatsby picnic yesterday tha tis put on by the Art Deco Society of Ca. and was a shuttle driver. I was driving people from the gate tot eh picnic in my Model A sedan and more than one people remarked how big the back seat was. O shuttled a group of teenage girls that got hooked n Downton abby and that is why they got all dressed up and came to Gatsby.

Mike

Big Man

This is how a Cadillac should look. This is my second cousin, D.A. Grayson, with his car. I always remember D.A. driving a big, white, Cadillac. Anyone know the model and year of the car?.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

This is how a Cadillac should look. This is my second cousin, D.A. Grayson, with his car. I always remember D.A. driving a big, white, Cadillac. Anyone know the model and year of the car?.

I love the early P-38 fins better then the latter giant 59 fins!

Beautiful car and absolutely what should be expected of a Cadillac.

The '59 was, in my opinion, the most perfect year for Cadillac. Those cars were everything a guy like me would want in an automobile.

I love the early P-38 fins better then the latter giant 59 fins!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy