Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Nothing wrong with vacuum wipers if they are working right, if they have a vacuum tank and a vacuum pump they work as well as electric. Some cars kept vacuum wipers until the late 50s and even the 60s. Buick Packard and Cadillac stuck with them long after all Chrysler products went electric.

Nothing wrong with vacuum wipers if they are working right, if they have a vacuum tank and a vacuum pump they work as well as electric. Some cars kept vacuum wipers until the late 50s and even the 60s. Buick Packard and Cadillac stuck with them long after all Chrysler products went electric.

Yup ... my '57 Sedan de Ville has power everything, but still had vacuum wipers. They tended to slow down when I accelerated.

BTW -- is there a "show us your dealer badge" thread? I ran across this in Santa Fe on a ~'72 Chevy truck. Thought it was pretty cool.

22581421685_e8c9b95bf9_z.jpg

I also liked the way this one was prepared for radiator trouble.

22728599165_15e9b8ed28_z.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
No. The accessory wiper sold through Ford dealers for the Model T in 1925, 26 and 1927 was electric, as were the wipers on cars which used Raulang and Leon Rubay bodies back around 1920. White, Flint, and quite a number of their makers used electric wiper motors in the early 1920's.

Just got a chance to watch the DIVCO truck video - fantastic. I love that it has 95% original parts. In this era of "authenticity," can't believe some "local" farm or creamery wouldn't want it to up their "heritage" bonafides. And great narration Lizzie.

freakazoid

Familiar Face
Figured this is a good spot for these.

I went up to the Mullin Auto Museum. It's up in Oxnard, CA. If you watch Jay Leno's Garage on YouTube you might of seen the place, he's looked at a few cars from there. It is awesome. Took the tour and then walked around getting more pictures. It's not even just a car museum, it's got furniture and sculptures designed by one of the Bugatti's, and also art deco pieces. They rotate what they have on display. They take them out for driving, and racing, sometimes. Two of the cars that Jay Leno looked at weren't there, one of them is at the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA, which I have a ticket to go to during their second day of the grand opening on the 6th. =D My personal favorites has got to be the purpose built race cars, someday, someday...

DSC00333_zpstlkvexa9.jpg

1121151216b_zpsdcdnjgbl.jpg

1121151219_zpseqbnnqdm.jpg

1121151250_zpsxwkldfqh.jpg

DSC00335_zpsujjtarwh.jpg

1121151030_zpsw93stlvy.jpg

1121151223d_zpsenb6wbkb.jpg

1121151226a_zpsx8mblunx.jpg

1121151226c_zpsa7kybqhy.jpg

1121151251_zpshjv34uxf.jpg

1121151252_zps9gvditmw.jpg

1121151302a_zpscn2fqnjq.jpg

1121151302c_zpsqjki74qf.jpg

1121151305_zps0g8wo5hw.jpg

1121151311_zpsdtcm1ppr.jpg

DSC00348_zpsevvsndna.jpg

DSC00350_zpsblzrpnqz.jpg

DSC00353_zps46gdoliq.jpg

DSC00444_zpsjul9mlnp.jpg

1121152210c_zpsnvk9m0jn.jpg

Yup ... my '57 Sedan de Ville has power everything, but still had vacuum wipers. They tended to slow down when I accelerated.

BTW -- is there a "show us your dealer badge" thread? I ran across this in Santa Fe on a ~'72 Chevy truck. Thought it was pretty cool.

22581421685_e8c9b95bf9_z.jpg

I also liked the way this one was prepared for radiator trouble.

22728599165_15e9b8ed28_z.jpg
Love it, Bob!!!!

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
QUOTE:

Some folks insist on originality on some old cars and the old vacuum wipers did suffice if they worked correctly. However, even with a properly functioning system, the wipers would slow down when you accelerated. Manifold vacuum drops when you increase the throttle opening momentarily. Theres a fix for that though. Kids in hot rods with big race type camshafts with alot of overlap in their design were intended for high engine RPM performance. The bad part though is that vacuum assist power brakes were also affected and low speed street braking was very poor due to low manifold vacuum produced from that camshaft. The eventual fix was an extra vacuum canister plumbed into the system that stored much more vacuum volume so there was plenty of brake power assist.

OEM cars had a small canister under the hood so vacuum operated heater controls wernt affected but the canister is to small for wipers ( ( IMO ) but its worth a try. A few bucks from an auto salvage yard.

You can make or buy an assist vacuum canister in one of those high performance parts catalogs on line such as JEGS in Columbus Ohio which is one of the largest or call their toll free number and ask for help. The extra canister works well and is a cinch to install. Even long uphill driving in wet weather wont effect wipers.

Hope the info helps a few here.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The kids find my vacuum wipers ridiculously entertaining.
Vacuum wipers, one minute they go so slow that it's like driving through a car wash, but if you change gear, you would think that they were on amphetamines.
The kids find my trafficators unreal. That's an indicator? NO WAY!

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Its not the wiper vacuum mechanism itself. Its the engine intake manifold vacuum that is constantly changing in stop and go traffic unless you were cruising at a constant speed. A quick demo is to install a simple vacuum gauge on the engine with it extended in drivers compartment and temporarily watching the gauge as you drive. Every time the gauge needle drops with throttle movement, watch the wiper speed slow down. Under full throttle acceleration, watch the wipers nearly stop. Easy experiment to demonstrate the principle.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
More expensive cars had an auxiliary vacuum pump, usually on the fuel pump. These double decker fuel pumps are available for any vintage car with vacuum wipers. Buick and Packard V8s had a vacuum pump built into the oil pump.

There are 12v electric vacuum pumps available.

Nice photo Big Man. I hope the defroster does the job for you.

I spent quite a few years driving air-cooled Volkswagens. Unless you had a new one (or an auxiliary gasoline-fired heater) you seldom had any "defrost". You kept an ice-scraper (for the inside of the windshield) and a hand-towel. I'm convinced that the "grab-bar" on the passenger side of the dash is really a towel hanger. ;)

1960%20VW%20V%20ert%20pics%20to%20OLD%20BUGS%20COM%207-2007%20014.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nice photo Big Man. I hope the defroster does the job for you.

I spent quite a few years driving air-cooled Volkswagens. Unless you had a new one (or an auxiliary gasoline-fired heater) you seldom had any "defrost". You kept an ice-scraper (for the inside of the windshield) and a hand-towel. I'm convinced that the "grab-bar" on the passenger side of the dash is really a towel hanger. ;)

1960%20VW%20V%20ert%20pics%20to%20OLD%20BUGS%20COM%207-2007%20014.jpg
Why was it, that the weird muff extension for the defroster, always came lose on the drivers side? On my 71 Super Beetle, the heater worked good, as long as you were moving, if you got stopped for a wreck, well...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner