Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage clothes - where do I find them?

MissTayva

Trickeration said:
Wow. I'm not familiar with that store (I guess I tend to stay more south and west of LA). It looks interesting, though. I'd love to check it out, but I'm stuck down here during the day until our bathroom remodeling is done. But one of our sax players just moved to Studio City and his wife really knows vintage clothes and such. I'll see her tonight at a gig, so I'll pass the address on to her. It'd be so much easier if they had there online store up.

Anyone else been there yet?

No, but I'm headed there! I definitely want to stop in next time in L.A. (which is in the next month).
It's good to know that they have other stuff aside from clothing. I was disoriented upon visiting the site... I expected to see clothing and saw a big ol' photo of mid-century pottery. That is my #1 weakness!
My husband will be excited to visit there, I'm sure. He's pretty familiar with all the vintage in the area, and has never mentioned that place.

MissTayva

Trickeration said:
Wow. I'm not familiar with that store (I guess I tend to stay more south and west of LA). It looks interesting, though. I'd love to check it out, but I'm stuck down here during the day until our bathroom remodeling is done. But one of our sax players just moved to Studio City and his wife really knows vintage clothes and such. I'll see her tonight at a gig, so I'll pass the address on to her. It'd be so much easier if they had there online store up.

Anyone else been there yet?

Oh y eah, have you been to Repeat Performance in L.A.????

MissTayva

Trickeration said:
So what brings you out this way? I love the chance to hit new shops when I travel. When I go by plane, I even take a small vintage suitcase as my carry-on so I can safely bring back fragile items. I haven't been to Repeat Performance either. Now that gives me 2 new stores to try.

I'd love to see your pics. I'm a big collector, too. The only rooms in our house that aren't vintage now are my kids rooms and the family/music room where the tv, computer, and music gear are. Someone had started a vintage home thread a while back. Maybe we can get one going again soon and start showing off all of our goodies.

Well, let me know when you'll be in town. If the timing works out, maybe we can all have dinner or something. Wildroot and Matt Deckard live in the area as well, and they're both really cool to hang out with.

We go out there quite a bit 'cause my husband is a musician and plays out there on a monthly basis. I also do modeling, and go out there for photoshoots and whatnot. My husband also used to live out there when I met him... that's how he knows all the great spots.

Repeat Performance... that one is by appointment only, but they have really, REALLY good stuff. I'm sure you can find it in the phone book. I *think* it's on Highland in Hollywood, but I could be wrong.

There is also another gal, Stacia Dunham, who has a showroom out in Ontario or that area. She used to sell on eBay as seller theit-girl, and had some pretty good looking stuff. She also used to sell wares for Dita von Teese (so that should clue you in to the quality of the stuff). She no longer has a computer, but I think still takes appointments. I'll see if I can dig up her phone number (we just moved).

Are you on LiveJournal at all? I have some photos posted of my home on one of the communities there.

MissTayva

swinggal said:
Whats this place like? Not that I'll ever go, seeing as I live in Australia.

http://www.vintageplayclothes.com/index.html

Looks like peole rent her stuff out for films, she has a pretty a full list of credits like the Aviator and Carnivale.

Oooh, I asked my husband about this place and he said they have REALLY good stuff. He said a lot of the men's clothing is all reproduction, but he said it's really good repros. We were just in Studio City a couple of weeks ago... I would have stopped had I known this place was here (he is so forgetful)! We just usually shop in Long Beach, though, since we get such good deals!

MapleHughes

New in Town
Vintage Clothing in DC

carpecaligo said:
My favorites (that haven't been posted) are repro sites like:
www.stopstaringclothing.com
www.daddyos.com

But what area are you in?
It's a lot nicer when you can try something on before you buy it - and if you happen to be in the DC/MD area, I've got the skinny on all the best joints ;)

Hi I am in Alexandria till the end of September, I would love to know where to go or even to meet up with you for a shopping excursion. You can contact me thru my yahoo account gnirps13@yahoo

Chat with you soon
Maple

Doe Peterson

New in Town
Trickeration said:
I'm also a big thrift shopper. I think they're my favorite stores. A trick I've learned for thrift stores is that if you find one item, like a 1930's skirt, you should check the rest of the store, thoroughly, to see what else may have been donated by the same home. You'll likely find more items from the same era in other departments, because people don't usually donate just one item, but a boxfull or more. This works best with stores that keep their own inventory. If the store gets their merchandise from a distribution center, lots may have been seperated and trucked out to several different stores.

Also, but only for the brave, hit the thrift shops in the rough part of town. The dealers are less likely to go there, and the folks who live near it would probably rather buy a boombox than a vintage radio.

Happy hunting! T

Thank you for the great advice! I've become disenchanted with thrift shops here in the city over the years. I experienced a dry spell in finding clothes from the 30's - 50's. But you've renewed my interest again!

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
For a person who is just getting interested in vintage clothing, I suggest you find some vintage clothing stores that you can visit and see and touch and learn. Maybe you'll get really lucky like Lauren did (see her "in memory" post) and find a mentor who will take the time to teach you about old clothes. Also, read everything you can about the style of the eras you are interested in. Look at lots of pictures. Find some old fashion magazines or catalogues from the time period.

Shopping on eBay is fun, but an inexperienced vintage buyer needs to be very careful. I just checked one category, 1920-38 shoes. Out of 44 listings, only about 25 of them were actual shoes from that era. And hats are even worse. So if you are going to shop eBay, I'd advise shopping with sellers who sell mainly vintage clothing and know what they are talking about! Email the seller before bidding if you aren't sure about the item.

There are 100s of websites selling vintage clothing, and they are great places to buy if you find sellers who specialize in the eras in which you are interested. But so many of them just sell the 60s & 70s, and even 80s. When I find a great selling site, I bookmark it so I can find it again. Good web sellers go into detail to make sure the buyer knows exectly what she or he is getting.

I love thrift stores, but they take lots of time. There's no guarantee you'll find anything and there's usually a screaming child or 2. Still, I love them, and have a hard time passing one up without going in. It really does help to have experience, here, however. There's tons of stuff, and most of it is not vintage. Still, there are real treasures to be found.

Probably my very favorite places to shop are large antique markets or malls. Again, it helps to know what you are looking at, but I've found some real treasures at these places. And not only clothing, but also vintage magazines and household items.

I'm getting all worked up. Gotta go shopping... :jeep:

Lizzie

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Some of the links here are fantastic. As I am in the UK I probably won't be able to visit any of the stores mentioned, but if any of you should be paying London a visit in the near future then let me know and I can point you in the right directions. There are some great vintage clothing fairs here and some fantastic vintage stores. Most of my best items have all come from the States as the seller I usually buy from/work for visits a couple of times a year and brings back plenty of goodies for me. Thanks for all of the great links....

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I went to Portobello Road when I was there this summer and it was a blast! Great vintage stuff... it was like a vintage expo every weekend, though the prices matched.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Finding Vintage Clothes

Hi everyone,
I am totally new to this. Just started getting into it thanks to my visit to the Queen Mary, and meeting such a great group of people. Anyway, Although my collection has just begun, I have come across some great finds on e-bay. I have been frequenting a local thrift store in MA, so if anyone lives in the area I can get you the name and address. She gets new stock in almost everyday, and I have already bought a beautiful hat, 2 dresses and a suit. All at incredibly reasonable prices. This is do to the fact that she does not know about ebay, and has no idea that her prices could be a lot higher. But I'm not breaking the news to her.
Anyway, I know I'm totally new at this, but e-bay has been great!:)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hi everyone,
I am totally new to this. Just started getting into it thanks to my visit to the Queen Mary, and meeting such a great group of people. Anyway, Although my collection has just begun, I have come across some great finds on e-bay. I have been frequenting a local thrift store in MA, so if anyone lives in the area I can get you the name and address. She gets new stock in almost everyday, and I have already bought a beautiful hat, 2 dresses and a suit. All at incredibly reasonable prices. This is do to the fact that she does not know about ebay, and has no idea that her prices could be a lot higher. But I'm not breaking the news to her.
Anyway, I know I'm totally new at this, but e-bay has been great!:)

Lucky you! If you're in MA there is a shop near Williamstown called Greystone Gardens that is really wonderful. When I was at WTF we had 3 1920s shows in a row, and we found dozens of absolute treasures at GG. They have a fabulous stock of jewelery too. (Heck, if I lived in MA I wouldn't tell anyone about it! ^_^) They have a web site, but all the treasures are in the store.

BV

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks

BettyValentine said:
Lucky you! If you're in MA there is a shop near Williamstown called Greystone Gardens that is really wonderful. When I was at WTF we had 3 1920s shows in a row, and we found dozens of absolute treasures at GG. They have a fabulous stock of jewelery too. (Heck, if I lived in MA I wouldn't tell anyone about it! ^_^) They have a web site, but all the treasures are in the store.

BV
Sorry it took so long for me to thank you for the name of the MA store, I just came across this post today. Well, thank you. I'm going to try to get to Williamstown this coming weekend. I keep going back to the one shop down the street from me, for she seems to be the only one who gets great vintage in, and it's so close to home. It's always fun to discover a new vintage store, thanks so much:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran