Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Coffee Makers

Elaina

One Too Many
I'll agree with you, perked coffee over a campfire is awesome. Of course, my idea of roughing it is a hotel where my kid has to sleep in the bed with me...but you get the idea.

I have to have coffee. With the boy scouts, we all (read they) learned how to make coffee over a campfire when we did cooking et al.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
I'll agree with you, perked coffee over a campfire is awesome. Of course, my idea of roughing it is a hotel where my kid has to sleep in the bed with me...but you get the idea.

I have to have coffee. With the boy scouts, we all (read they) learned how to make coffee over a campfire when we did cooking et al.

I'm not a huge coffee guy, but there's nothin to put a kick in you for a long day loggin like a nasty cup of leaded coffee.lol

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Thats alright, Sawyers are a dying breed, machines and such and a distinct lack of good wages. I'm gonna make something of myself anyway!;)

Elaina

One Too Many
Hey, don't confuse my aversion to doing it as a put down. My daddy was a Teamster trucker and I have nothing but respect for those that have to earn their money by turning their collars blue. I had a decent economic life because of that kind of hard work.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Dan G said:
Thats alright, Sawyers are a dying breed, machines and such and a distinct lack of good wages. I'm gonna make something of myself anyway!;)

Yes, a way of life that is really gone for ever. As a boy, I grew up in a railroad logging camp up at the base of Mt. St. Helens. About two hundred loggers in bunkhouses and a dozen families living in old rail cars. We lived in a cabose. Breakfast in the cookhouse was something to behold. Mountains of bacon, eggs and pancakes and gallons of coffee every morning. About the closest I come to that lifestyle these days is elk camp every fall.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
No, no, no confusion! Sorry:eek: Though daddy and my collars are definitely blue;), I'm a bit of a dreamer, Delusions of grandeur maybe, but I'm gonna make some money!!:D

Oh man, even if the wages suck, the cooking is AWESOME!!!

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
I believe that hard work will get you somewhere. I have to, because this book writing I do sucks. Give me my multi-book million dollar contract, and we'll call it even already.

Amen to that!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I love coffee!!!!!!! Ground coffee. Coffee that has been well roasted and ground so that is smooth in flavor with a delicious aroma hmmmmm... I don't use a vintage perculator [huh] I use a cristal pot that has a filter, I put several spoons of coffee into it, then pour boiling water and allow the coffee to draw for some minutes. The brand of this pot is called 'bodum' and it's made in Switzerland. I personally don't like my coffee to boil because it tastes burnt.
If I don't drink strong coffee in the mornings, I cannot wake up.

celtic

A-List Customer
RedPop4 said:
Eight O'Clock coffee is acceptable alternative to Starbucks, the price is better, as well.

i actually think Eight O' tastes better than starbucks by the pound. it's a bonus that it costs HALF of what starbuks costs...

RedPop4 said:
The Green Mountain coffee that Exxon sells, is surprisingly passable as well. I blend 1/4 of a 24 oz. cup with the breakfast coffe, and 3/4 with the Dark Magic.

i don't mind green mountain or gullivers(?)

RedPop4 said:
OH, and don't grind that Eight O'Clock in the store, it'll begin going stale as well as taste and smell like all the other pre-ground stuff. Wait until you're ready to make your coffee and THEN grind it.

this is a MUST. never pre-grind your coffee, especially cheap coffee...it loses taste faster than britney spears on a bender.

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
We have a local coffee roaster in the town I live near called Herman's Boy. They roast a lot of coffee for such a small place. It's great, because it allows me to get fresh roasted coffee in small amounts. I make my coffee in a french press, or sometimes a stove top espresso maker. French press is the best way to get all the flavor and aroma. Plus, I'm the only coffee drinker at my house, and I don't really need more then 2 cups on a Saturday morning, so it's perfect.

That said, I have had perk coffee, and I'm not impressed. I may be doing it wrong however. I've heard many people suggest just thorwing the grounds in a perk type pot, minus the basket. Then to sort out the grounds from the coffee either 1. pouring in some cold water, which will settle the grounds or 2. egg shells will do the samething. I've tried the former, with no sucess. The latter I've never tried.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Outlaw Kyle, that place is a treasure, then.
I forgot about my mokha pot--the stove-top espresso maker. It's definitely a close second to the press, tied with my ibrik for making Turkish style coffee.

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
We also have a semi-large place called Ferris Coffee & Nut that has been around for a while. However, there coffee isn't nearly as good, and costs more. I can get a good estate coffee from Herman's boy for $6.50 to $7.50 per pound. It would be $10/lbs at Ferris. And Starbucks? $8.00 for 12 oz. Bah! Overpriced.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I can get my green beans for between $3.50 -$5.00 per pound. That's about the highest I'll go. Also, the more you buy, the less the price per pound, they lower the price per pound at 3, 5 and ten pounds. It lasts longer. I buy beans once every nine months or so, spending around $120 per order.

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Do you get them from sweetmarias.com? I've often wanted to try roasting them my self, but it's the art of doing it in cast iron or a fairly high start up cost for a roaster. How do you do it Redpop4

spiridon

A-List Customer
Kyle, I'll chime in for RedPop till he returns........all you need is a hot air popcorn popper, and it's so simple it's scary! Check by your nearest Goodwill or thrift store and you can usually find just what you need for 2 bucks or less. Also, check the Sweetmarias site....lots of good info on there telling you how to go about it. One quick tip though...when looking for a popper, make sure you get one that has the air vents on the sides of the cylinder vs. having the hot air blow up thru a screen in the bottom.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Thank you Jon.
I had a nice automatic roaster, but it makes a horrible noise now. So I'm using a popper. It's a little speed demon, too. I can have my beans done within four minutes sometimes. Then another five minutes of shaking them in a collander to cool. They're ready for the next morning.

I keep my beans in those Hillshire Farms deli meat containers made by Glad. It takes me three batches of beans to fill it. So I'm looking at about 30-40 minutes total to have four days worth of coffee. Sometimes it lasts longer.

I've not purchased beans from Sweet Maria's, but Spiridon has. I buy all my beans from a place called Coffee Bean Corral. A good friend of ours, formerly a master roaster for Peet's and Kaldi's in New Orleans, works at CBC. He's also a cigar-smoker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana