Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage "Convoy" coat

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
Hello All-

I thought I would post a pic of my favorite winter coat. This coat I "inherited" from my father a while back. He got it in the VERY early 1960's (@1962-1963). As you can see from the pics it is modeled after the British Navy WWII-vintage convoy coats; dark blue wool with wooden toggle buttons and a hood.

It is an awesome coat and my dad still gets sentimental when I wear it around him. I like it because it is vintage and has a family history, plus it is also VERY warm without being bulky.

Just thought I'd share
PistolPete1969

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Lovely old duffle that.

I'd be interested to know if the RN did actually issue blue duffle coats as I was under the impression that they were all camel coloured?

I expect a volley of knowledge from the usual clued up types...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The duffle coat itself wasn't specifically a RN only issue. There were two colours - blue and 'drab'. The 'drab' version was issued to the RN. Other arms (and including the Merchant Navy) were issued with both, as far as I can find out. See previous thread for details of duffle coat.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
dit dah said:
Lovely old duffle that.

I'd be interested to know if the RN did actually issue blue duffle coats as I was under the impression that they were all camel coloured?

I expect a volley of knowledge from the usual clued up types...

Yes, blue was issued, I have a few pics of the two side by side. Seems to be a more Second World War thing, and not postwar, but I could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24