Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cowboy???

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Here's one for the crew! I'm honestly not sure exactly what era/decade the popularity of these was at it's highest- but does anyone know where I might be able to find a repro western style shirt? The double breasted style that an occasional cowboy/hero wore, something similar to a chef's jacket or tunic. Even a pattern would be nice as I could probably have one made. I've googled it and only found mention of characters wearing them but not even a good picture. in which to work from. If anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm thinking of going with the vintage cowboy look this Halloween! ;)

Thanks!
-Scuffy

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Check out this...

...eBay vendor-

sensei2685 good prices-

b1_1_b.jpg

Buy-it-Now $24.95
http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/...=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=sensei2685

B
T

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Holy cow! That was fast guys! Thanks for the info. So they are called bib shirts huh? Okay... for my next question... *add suspenseful music* ;) What kind of pants did our retro cowboys wear?? My girlfriend shows quarter horses so I'm into modern styles with the tighter wranglers and such but I'm clueless as to what was warn around the 30's or 40's both in movies and on working ranches and the like. Obviously the clothing was not as flashy and gilded.

On a side note. I've been to the Buffalo Bill Cody Historical Center in Cody, WY and they have quite a collection of vintage show chaps, saddles and guns from the late 1800's up to some of the earliest Hollywood ventures. Unfortunately though there were no pants in the displays. If ya ever get the chance to visit Cody- do it! For all those interested in firearms than that would warrent a sidestep into the Cody Firearms Museum which is part of the same building. They literally have at least one of just about every gun manufactured in the states and in Europe (probably some from all over the world- there were too many to keep track of!). It'll take a whole day to visit.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling! Thanks again guys!

Simon82

One of the Regulars
I bought a red cavalry bib from a Shepler's in Oklahoma City this summer, and it's *bright* red. :cool:

Unfortunately, I look less like John Wayne or Tom Mix in mine than I do Peter Tork from The Monkees. :p Or maybe like a roadie for Riders in the Sky.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Bunch of "closet" cowboys here? ;) I used to do Cowboy Action Shooting back in the late Eighties. Lot of good repro clothing out there for the period. Probably even more, now.

Brad

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Try this site www.rockmount.com. Rockmount shirts are American made (for the most part) and go back to the 1930s. There are two retail outlets in Denver. The owner, Jack Weil, is over ninety years old and still works there with his son. He invented the snapped shirt. He has a book out, "Western Shirts: A Classic American Fashion" that is nicely illustrated going way back to the beginning of popular Western wear.
Happy Trails

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I always figured snapped shirts were invented so their wives could rip their shirts open without having to sew buttons back on everytime. :p

Brad

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about this for the "wild west" look?

DSC01588.jpg

This is (another) one of my great uncle on one of his adventures. This photo was probably taken around 1930. I don't know who the guy on the right is, but it's an interesting look he has going, not to mention that cool camera. Is that a 620?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo