Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Disapointment

Naama

Practically Family
Over here, there are actually NO vintage people at all and Rockabilly is also pretty small. But in my district, there is this one girl, and she's pretty much 1020's, she even wears a coat I almost also got (not a vintage one, but a very 20's one and rather expensive, I never saw anybody else in that coat)! And she takes the same buss as I, she also goes to the same school! I think this is so funny! But I'm just too shy to talk to hear even though I would love to! But I just can't talk to people I meet on the streets! If it would be at a concert or club or something, I could, but at the bus? I could freak her out (she looks pretty shy somehow) I really wish I wouldn't be that shy!

I always wonder what people might think, if they see two people, who are sepereted both in vintage/retro looks are on the same buss...... lol

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
I have had that happen at some local estate sales around here.

its like they think I am gonna get all the goodies so they are rude and quick and try to get ahead of me.

Its not a friendly club we are in.. aparently. hahahah lol

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted by exquisitebones:
I have had that happen at some local estate sales around here.

its like they think I am gonna get all the goodies so they are rude and quick and try to get ahead of me.

Ha! I can see that, although I haven't been to many estate sales to experience it. :) If you want the goodies, just go in the opposite direction. Once you meet in the middle you can be fast friends - you've each cleaned out your respective sides and can pick over the other's remnants. :D

SarahLouise

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
Oh yes. There's one person in particular (they aren't on this forum and I won't mention their name, I'm sure some of the other London ladies will know who I'm talking about), who seems to be fairly arrogant and precious about vintage fashion. She tends not to reply to messages asking simple things like where she got clothes from or how to do her hair (I'm not the only one who's experienced this) and apparently is fairly rude in person when complimented on how she looks.

Although I could just be jealous, because she is very beautiful!

I'm intrigued! I have no idea who you're talking about. Spill the beans Lyburnum lol

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Perhaps she was shy? Shyness can often be mistaken for aloofness and can come across as being cold, without being intentional. I speak from personal experience! It depends on the individual, you can't generalise by just one person you've come across. I've met some lovely people and some not so lovely people. Some people think that just because you share interests with somebody, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get on with each other and be best of friends so if they have that attitude to start with, it may come across as being snooty. It can also be a result of jealously (you know how bitchy some of us girls can be!) and countless other reasons. That whole "holier than thou" issue can be seen in all scenes.

I am too shy to go up to people so it's usually people who come up to me to compliment me or start conversation. None of my friends are into vintage but I recently made a friend at work with a 1940s girl who came up to me in the canteen to compliment me on my style. She was so excited and intrigued to meet somebody with similar interests!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Naama said:
Over here, there are actually NO vintage people at all and Rockabilly is also pretty small. But in my district, there is this one girl, and she's pretty much 1020's, she even wears a coat I almost also got (not a vintage one, but a very 20's one and rather expensive, I never saw anybody else in that coat)! And she takes the same buss as I, she also goes to the same school! I think this is so funny! But I'm just too shy to talk to hear even though I would love to! But I just can't talk to people I meet on the streets! If it would be at a concert or club or something, I could, but at the bus? I could freak her out (she looks pretty shy somehow) I really wish I wouldn't be that shy!

I always wonder what people might think, if they see two people, who are sepereted both in vintage/retro looks are on the same buss...... lol
What about a quick "Nice coat!" comment? It might be the opening she is looking for to talkto you!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
SarahLouise said:
Perhaps she was shy? Shyness can often be mistaken for aloofness and can come across as being cold, without being intentional. I speak from personal experience! It depends on the individual, you can't generalise by just one person you've come across. I've met some lovely people and some not so lovely people. Some people think that just because you share interests with somebody, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get on with each other and be best of friends so if they have that attitude to start with, it may come across as being snooty. It can also be a result of jealously (you know how bitchy some of us girls can be!) and countless other reasons. That whole "holier than thou" issue can be seen in all scenes.

I know who Lyburnum is talking about, and I don't think she's shy from what I have heard, just a little precious (like you say, Sarah Louise 'holier than thou'). She's not on FL, so I don't think anyone here will necessarily know her.

Saying that though I got talking to a lovely girl on the tube once because she had the BEST fake bangs I have ever seen, and she was really, really, nice... and at the Couture Christmas I felt a bit out of place being alone in vintage, so just went up and introduced myself to someone else in vintage, and she was really nice too, and introduced me to all her friends, and it was generally all very pleasant. It's like anything I suppose, some people are nice, some are not.... I like to try and imagine most are nice and the mean ones are the rarity.

Smuterella

One Too Many
well i met the famous miss S*mmi S*dler recently. bought some shoes from her on ebay and recognised her when i saw her. so unfriendly it was unbelievable. its like some folk are so precious of their vintage secrets that they are scared to share

Blondie

Practically Family
I guess it doesn't matter where you live, there will always people with that kind of attitude.......... It really sucks big time.

fluffy-tiger

New in Town
I work with a girl whom I have heard from other people is into vintage, and frequents rockabilly and burlesque nights, and no matter how hard I have tried to get her into a conversation about it she just brushes me off. I have told her that I collect and make vintage clothing, and go to nights myself, but she just doesn't go for it. She told everyone she was going to a burlesque night the other week, but wouldn't tell me where it was and kept telling me she had forgotten(I found out anyway). Apart from this we get on okay, I thought it would be really good to know someone who is into vintage like me as none of my friends are, but I have no idea why she has no interest in talking about it to me and does with other people who have absolutely no interest..... Maybe it is just me....:-(

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fluffy-tiger said:
I work with a girl whom I have heard from other people is into vintage, and frequents rockabilly and burlesque nights, and no matter how hard I have tried to get her into a conversation about it she just brushes me off. I have told her that I collect and make vintage clothing, and go to nights myself, but she just doesn't go for it. She told everyone she was going to a burlesque night the other week, but wouldn't tell me where it was and kept telling me she had forgotten(I found out anyway). Apart from this we get on okay, I thought it would be really good to know someone who is into vintage like me as none of my friends are, but I have no idea why she has no interest in talking about it to me and does with other people who have absolutely no interest..... Maybe it is just me....:-(

My opinion? She's a poser who just wants all the attention to herself.
You can do better than her for friends.

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy