Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Dobbs Questions

JazzIsTvRicky

New in Town
@JazzIsTvRicky the defining characteristic in f the Whippet and its clones is wide brim binding. Even at a glance this hat does not resemble a Whippet.

Most people who are new to fedoras think they all look a like. The more you are around them the more the differences stand out.
I’m not new to fedoras my man I’ve worn them since the late 60’s. I just totally disagree that this hat has no resemblance to a Whippet. My hat collection is extensive. No rookie here. You guys are too serious… not fun. But you. Won’t run me away with your rudeness or ego…. Thank you for your opinion
You my friend need to go pick on someone else. I’m not the one. Take your insecure being and disappear. I’m having fun and talking S—-. Lighten up baby

I’m not new to fedoras my man I’ve worn them since the late 60’s. I just totally disagree that this hat has no resemblance to a Whippet. My hat collection is extensive. No rookie here. You guys are too serious… not fun. But you. Won’t run me away with your rudeness or ego…. Thank you for your opinion

I’m sorry if I made a wrong assumption that you were new to fedoras. I didn’t mean anything harm and I wasn’t trying to be rude or run you off. You are right: we are serious about hats and there is a huge amount of knowledge here (I’m not part of that group…I’m more of an enthusiastic amateur). It’s rare that anyone here is intentionally rude, but they are plain spoken and will say it like it is. I can also say that I, and many of us here, could tell that hat was not a Whippet at 20 feet.

Here’s the Whippet thread for reference:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/at-the-dog-track-the-whippets.18602/page-36

Here are some of my Whippets. Notice how they all have wider brim binding which is the most obvious characteristic of the Whippet. These hats go through the 1940s and 1950s. Your Dobbs with the narrower brim binding makes it immediately obvious that it’s not a Whippet. Not saying it’s not a nice hat, but it’s not a Whippet or in the Whippet style. Stick around. I learn new things about hats all the time here.

IMG_7254.jpeg
IMG_7255.jpeg
IMG_7256.jpeg
IMG_7259.jpeg
IMG_7258.jpeg
IMG_7260.jpeg
IMG_7261.jpeg
IMG_7263.jpeg
IMG_7266.jpeg
IMG_7264.jpeg

JazzIsTvRicky

New in Town
I’m sorry if I made a wrong assumption that you were new to fedoras. I didn’t mean anything harm and I wasn’t trying to be rude or run you off. You are right: we are serious about hats and there is a huge amount of knowledge here (I’m not part of that group…I’m more of an enthusiastic amateur). It’s rare that anyone here is intentionally rude, but they are plain spoken and will say it like it is. I can also say that I, and many of us here, could tell that hat was not a Whippet at 20 feet.

Here’s the Whippet thread for reference:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/at-the-dog-track-the-whippets.18602/page-36

Here are some of my Whippets. Notice how they all have wider brim binding which is the most obvious characteristic of the Whippet. These hats go through the 1940s and 1950s. Your Dobbs with the narrower brim binding makes it immediately obvious that it’s not a Whippet. Not saying it’s not a nice hat, but it’s not a Whippet or in the Whippet style. Stick around. I learn new things about hats all the time here.

View attachment 568643 View attachment 568644 View attachment 568645 View attachment 568646 View attachment 568647 View attachment 568648 View attachment 568649 View attachment 568650 View attachment 568651 View attachment 568652
Thank you for your informative response, clearly a different stroke in the pictures you’ve kindly shared. The pictures I was basing my observations on are like this. Just a note I’m not even trying to say my Dobbs is a Whippet but the intensity of your dialogue is quite amazing. And yes my Dobbs is fantastic.. I think I have a Stetson… umm

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 34

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
This site was started with a focus on the golden era. We’ve branched out a bit, but the emphasis is still there. Newer mass produced hats are different critters than the vintage hats this place is about.
I'll direct my comments to the bartenders, but I'm not so sure, from an outsider's perspective, that this is very clear. I've looked for an About Us page, or a Who We Are page, even on the Home page, and I can't really say that I can find much about "who we are" or even that we are primarily (not exclusively) focused on vintage or golden age topics. While looking at some of the forum and thread titles might imply some sort of vintage focus, What Hat are You Wearing and Post New Hats certainly do not. I'd like to suggest the TFL administrators consider updating the Home Page or crafting an About Us page to give some of the background of TFL and explain more about the purpose or focus of many of the areas of discussion. Again, I'm not arguing to exclude recent and /or modern topics, I'm only suggesting that with more information about Who We Are, newcomers might be able to make more relevant initial postings and they might also understand that posting about a modern [product] might not generate a great deal of response.

I'll direct my comments to the bartenders, but I'm not so sure, from an outsider's perspective, that this is very clear. I've looked for an About Us page, or a Who We Are page, even on the Home page, and I can't really say that I can find much about "who we are" or even that we are primarily (not exclusively) focused on vintage or golden age topics. While looking at some of the forum and thread titles might imply some sort of vintage focus, What Hat are You Wearing and Post New Hats certainly do not. I'd like to suggest the TFL administrators consider updating the Home Page or crafting an About Us page to give some of the background of TFL and explain more about the purpose or focus of many of the areas of discussion. Again, I'm not arguing to exclude recent and /or modern topics, I'm only suggesting that with more information about Who We Are, newcomers might be able to make more relevant initial postings and they might also understand that posting about a modern [product] might not generate a great deal of response.

The Lounge has definitely evolved over time. It started as an offshoot of an Indiana Jones fandom website called Club Obi Wan (COW). It was definitely focused on the film(s) and the Golden Era. Over time it expanded in many directions.

I agree that some sort of primer would be helpful. I also concede that I was too dismissive about modern production hats. I know it was more of a reaction to the new guys attitude. I often disappoint myself with a petty streak.

I deleted my post, and I hope I’ll be more tolerant, circumspect, and generous in the future. Thank you for gently calling me out, we all need friends who can hold a mirror to us.

Last edited:

JazzIsTvRicky

New in Town
The Lounge has definitely evolved over time. It started as an offshoot of an Indiana Jones fandom website called Club Obi Wan (COW). It was definitely focused on the film(s) and the Golden Era. Over time it expanded in many directions.

I agree that some sort of primer would be helpful. I also concede that I was too dismissive about modern production hats. I know it was more of a reaction to the new guys attitude. I often disappoint myself with a petty streak.

I deleted my post, and I hope I’ll be more tolerant, circumspect, and generous in the future. Thank you for gently calling me out, we all need friends who can hold a mirror to us.
Thank you for setting an example for all of us. The reason I was attracted here was Google search features you in questions asked about fedoras.

JazzIsTvRicky

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou