Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage electric carpet sweepers

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wildroot- Glad to hear the Hoover is, as the English say,
hoovering. It's crazy, but it'd be great to see a movie of
the beast in action, headlight blazing. I LOVE those powerhouse
old appliances. Especially with that great old design.
BTW, WR, I was guessing late 40s on the S-C cabinet
only because it had an electric turntable. The design could
be a lot earlier. If I get a chance to get in there and find a
serial number, I'll PM you.

Zemke Fan- Don't know much about the fan. It was up in
the attic of a 1920s home having an estate sale. It is
quiet and extremely efficient. Superb design- easy to roll
around and perfectly balanced in spite of its significant weight.
Wildroot had an earlier thread about vintage fans and, although
I have a lot of them, I wasn't able to contribute at the time.
Maybe next summer, eh?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Biltmore Bob said:
Burn your house down yet?

Nope, no fires! These Vacuums aren't any risk! The heater has been in service only on occasion and hasn't burned down anything. Vintage works!

FeltFan, the advent of the electric turntable and electric cartage pick up for record players was introduced onto the open market in the very early 1930's! They were found on only high priced models but, they were rather common by 1939-1942. Great looking set!

=WR=

PS. I just got a replacement bag on that Hoover 575 (the first one I posted) and it works real good! These old Hoovers really have power after nearly 80 years! Just can't keep a good vacuum down!

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Zemke Fan said:
Man that is some fan. Is it Navy surplus? Looks like it could cool a battleship!;)
It looks like a Westinghouse fan we had while I was growing up. Dad worked for a time as an engineer at Westinghouse and we had a number of their products. On hot nights, we'd aim it out a window and it would pull cool air into the rest of the house. A powerful fan indeed. That one looks like it might have been painted. I remember ours as a medium gray color.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
feltfan said:
I have the Eureka and the "Junior Model H" of the same color:

82723793_fa5208e53e_o.jpg

Since Feltfan posted this in '05, I have learned some more about cleaners. My friend has an Eureka model M of this same type, however it's not red, it's a bare metal finish and has the older logo on the badge:

l_a103f324babe279ec80b4b9295265bd1.jpg

Yes, he has two of them lol:

l_092e178aa6d44f99767aa3a5c43afc7a.jpg

I would surmise that the model M came out earlier maybe in the late 30s then, after the war, Eureka just kept the same body style and then painted it... Or, maybe they reconditioned cleaners like Hoover did in the 40s and 50s? Not an unlikely possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner