Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage electric carpet sweepers

Wild Root

Gone Home
Any one here own one of these?

156hh.jpg

In the late 1920?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and early 1930?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the American house wife was starting to get a helping hand in keeping the home clean and comfortable. This new modern invention was ?¢‚Ǩ?ìsweeping?¢‚Ǩ? the nation! There were some very interesting models coming out by many brands that are still around today and some that were not so lucky.

Apex made some very glamorous and streamlined uprights in the 1930?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, Airway also made some very interesting designs in the early 1920?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. The graphics on the bags were very unique. Air way had a biplane on their bags! Hoover was getting up towards the top of the market! GE, Eureka, Regina, Royal, Kenmore, Westinghouse and Kirby were close behind! These early vacuum cleaners are very attractive but, the best part is that they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re heavy! They get nice and close to the carpet and do a good job! If the wheels are good, they glide over most carpet with ease!

I'm looking for a nice 1930's vacuum cleaner right now. I have a friend that has a few and well, the bug just bit. These are quite unique appliances. They really do work well and they sound really neat.

I'd love to see some vintage vacuum cleaners if any one has one.

=WR=

PS. Here is a link to a web site that is all about vintage vacuum cleaners.
http://www.vachunter.com/

Gee, I have an old Hoover upright but I don't think it is quite that old. You might be surprise what you can find at the local vacuum shop though. They have them sitting around and no one buys them. I know there are vacuum shops like that here anyway. I see older chrome jobs like that once in a while. I doubt they are quite that old though. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
I give you, THE HOOVER CLEANER!

That's right ladies and gents! I just picked up a 1929 Hoover! It's a model 575and looks to be a rather nice little set. She's missing the original bag but, I'm hot on the trail to find one! But, she's real clean and will work soon as I get a bag on the old girl. A friend at an antique shop gave it to me. She wanted it out of her shop since no one wants it so, talk about being at the right place at the right time! The cord isn't original and in fine shape! Should get the 6 feet of carpet I own clean.:p Man, I need an area rug!

So, what do you guys think?

1181855img4qa.jpg

1181856img6rz.jpg

Any one have a 1929-1931 cloth Hoover bag?:p

=WR=

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Is anyone making book on the likelyhood of you finding someone with a 1929-1931 cloth Hoover bag? I'd like some of that action. Perhaps you'll bump into some in a hallway: "Hey you got your Hoover bag on my electric carpet sweeper!" "And you got your carpet sweeper on my cloth Hoover bag!"

For heaven's sake, don't turn that thing on until you meet your mate, unless you want a mouthful of dust bunnies.

A note to the married men here-abouts: In this season of giving, gifts that are sensible, sure to be useful and certain to give years of fine service are not what most ladies are looking for. *checks his wife's wish list* Nope... no Hoovers.

:) :cheers1:

Wild Root

Gone Home
jake_fink said:
Is anyone making book on the likelyhood of you finding someone with a 1929-1931 cloth Hoover bag? I'd like some of that action. Perhaps you'll bump into some in a hallway: "Hey you got your Hoover bag on my electric carpet sweeper!" "And you got your carpet sweeper on my cloth Hoover bag!"

For heaven's sake, don't turn that thing on until you meet your mate, unless you want a mouthful of dust bunnies.

A note to the married men here-abouts: In this season of giving, gifts that are sensible, sure to be useful and certain to give years of fine service are not what most ladies are looking for. *checks his wife's wish list* Nope... no Hoovers.

:) :cheers1:

Hahah, funny stuff! Yeah, I know some guys who collect vintage vacuums so, I know I can find a bag that will work.

Today there is no woman that would like a vacuum cleaner as a gift unless she's into vintage hard-core like some of us or, it's 1929 and the little lady is tired of beating her rugs with a wire beater! In those days the house wife would love any electric appliance that would make her life easier.;) Different times for sure.;)

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
When our family moved into our "new" old house the previous owners had abandoned a great old Kirby with the box of dozens of attachments. Nobody else wanted the thing so it is mine now.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Hoover #300.

1181857img8bx.jpg

1181858img1nt.jpg

1181859img6ls.jpg

1181860img5kg.jpg

Well, this is my #2 cleaner I have picked up. Found it in a small antique shop last weekend. It was cheap and in good shape. The motor works well and so, I just need to do a few minor things to it before she works perfectly. It is also a model that has a light!

This model I believe is from the mid 1930's Maybe about 1936 or so.

Thought I'd share, enjoy.

=WR=

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a newfangled model

I have the Eureka and the "Junior Model H" of the same color:

82723793_fa5208e53e_o.jpg

What I love about that Eureka is that it has the appearance
of a deco-era car. I had it overhauled when I bought it
(Goodwill, $5 if you want to know). The old vacuum fanatic
who overhauled it used parts he had from an identical spare!
He asked me if I "want to take it for a spin" on his carpet before
I left the store. He did not have a new bumper and refused to
replace the original. Yes, BTW, there is a headlight above the badge.

As a bonus for Wildroot, since he's a fan fan, here's another
angle, along with the 40s (?) Westinghouse fan I picked up
at an estate sale this summer. It's a quiet giant:

82723766_b964990400_o.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Eureka!!!

Hello, this is a surprise! Wow, I really dig that red 40's Eureka! And the matching hand held model! What can I say, I am impressed! You know, that fan is rather neat too! Looks late 40's to me or early 50's but, it looks like a real but kicker of a fan! You know, I would like to know some about that art deco cabinet that's sitting behind the vacuums! Is it a radio cabinet with a record player? Or is it a fancy bar? I need to know, it's really cool!

Your contribution is very much appreciated!

=WR=

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
You know, I would like to know some about that art deco cabinet that's sitting behind the vacuums! Is it a radio cabinet with a record player? Or is it a fancy bar? I need to know, it's really cool!

Heh heh. I thought you might spot that...
It's a Stromberg-Carlson cabinet. I assume it's from the
late 40s. By the time I got it, it had a replacement
Japanese tube integrated amp (nothing interesting)
mounted on a 50s or 60s era insert in the top shelf
and the original, but much delapidated turntable in the
tall lower shelf. The original light fixture is inside,
but no longer triggers when the doors open (I suppose
I could fix that).

The bottom, where you see the fabric, seems to have
one original speaker and one replacement. Two speakers,
but you can be sure it wasn't stereo.

Don't miss the butterfly veneer. Mahogany burl I assume.
And the reversable deco handles. What I love about
this thing, aside from its classic deco appearance, is
that it is built like a battleship. I wouldn't think of lifting it.
Compare that to the plastic boxes used to hold together
the stereos of today.

I admit I removed the built-in turntable. It had some style,
but it was totally trashed. I removed the amplifier and sold
it for about half what I paid for the cabinet. Now I hide my
modern stereo inside. And if I need a *real* turntable, my
Victrola stands just to the left of that cabinet!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey, if it was already molested, who cares! I think it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a great cabinet! Too bad that it was changed too much electronically. Would be worth a handsome sum all original but, you make it work for you and that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s really cool! The cabinet is beautiful and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d say it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s early 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. Not sure, if you find a model number on the inside of the cabinet, I bet I could find out the year for you. Nevertheless, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s grand!

Back to Vacuums:

Last night my Hoover 300 got a new light bulb and belt! Oiled it up a little and now she runs like new! Just need to mend the small hole in the bag, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s no big deal. But, it works good and sounds so neat! Got to love it!

=WR=

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
With an industrial-strength fan, BB...

The smoke from space-heater fires can be vented to the outside MUCH more rapidly. SO, the combo ought to be required for all vintage electrical collectors.

BTW, love the new avatar. Very cool! (Although it does make you look like a masked bandit! Or zorro in a newsboy cap, can't decide which!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner