Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Exercise Techniques

cecil

A-List Customer
I think that a great vintage exercise technique is having an active lifestyle!

I recently looked at photos of my grandmother and her sisters and noticed that I have the exact same body shape in terms of bone structure and fat distribution, but I don't look anywhere near as good because I'm flabbier and have far less visible muscle tone. I then looked through the album again and noticed that there were so many photos of the girls being outside. Kayaking, tennis, horseriding, swimming, everything, whereas I'm a total slob! I've been trying to shake five pesky kilos (10 lbs ish) for a year now by fiddling with my diet but as much as I try to deny it it's blindingly obvious that I need to spend more of my free time at the beach than at the bar. Dagnabbit.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cecil said:
I then looked through the album again and noticed that there were so many photos of the girls being outside. Kayaking, tennis, horseriding, swimming, everything, whereas I'm a total slob!

People also just walked a lot more back then, and that's a great way to keep off weight.

I remember when I totaled my car a couple years ago and went without for over 2 months. I lost weight just from all the walking!

lindylady

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
People also just walked a lot more back then, and that's a great way to keep off weight.

I remember when I totaled my car a couple years ago and went without for over 2 months. I lost weight just from all the walking!

Also, people didn't have the modern-day conveniences (i.e. dishwashers, ride-on lawn mowers, online banking, most things that we use to multitask today). They had to go to the banks, run errands on foot, and do a lot more chores by hand than we have to.

harvesthobo

New in Town
Hula Hoops

I saw one of the ladies here mention hula hooping, and I was wondering how well it actually works. I'm fairly thin but I'd like to flatten my stomach (people think I have a six pack but that's only because they never see my pot belly when I'm not sucking it in haha) and I have a slight hourglass shape to my waist that I'd like to enhance if possible. I don't really want to use corsets or anything - I'd rather just get the smallest waist I can within my body's natural limits. I know that a lot of the hourglass figure depends on bone structure (especially ribs) so I might already be at my limit, but I'd at least like to see if I could slim it down any more. I've heard weighted hula hoops are good for that, but I can't really tell if it's true or just a bunch of internet hype. Any info?

Also, does anyone know what the difference is between a weighted hoop with grooves and a smooth one?

Elaina

One Too Many
I was going to say walk. Every woman I have known from the era walked.

I walk a dog (who isn't mine) twice a day from 1-5 miles. Sometimes we get some speed since he's a big, happy rambunctious dog, most of the time I meander, and then I walk everywhere else.

While I don't do this on heels then, I make a point of walking a treadmill with a pair of old, 2" pumps several times a week, since I read that when I was little Tina Turner did that and look at HER legs. I ascribe this to not having cellulite on my legs.

All in all, it's helped me lose 60 lbs and I'm still going.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Must echo walking. I do about four miles a day during the week, then on the weekends usually have one longer walk one day (6, 10 miles) and take the other day off. It keeps my legs fairly toned and its pretty much all the exercise I do though I'm trying to add dancing and some upper-body workouts with little weights.

I'm rather resigned to always being wide-hipped. I don't know what to do about it. I've gotten smaller all over and gone down pants sizes, (I've lost weight veeeeery slowly but haven't yo-yoed nor have I given up my pasta, so I'm happy enough) but proportionately my hips are still rather wide for the rest of me. My thighs are actually comparatively lean and my butt is big but I don't mind it but I would love to know if my hips are something that can be changed. Do you think the dancing will help? Or squats?

I would love to buy a set of real weights but that has to wait until at least next year after I move. I am NOT shipping dumbbells all over the planet - who would be the dumbbell then? lol

My guy has made me promise not to lower my calories below 1600 but I'm trying to eat clean.

bendingoak

Vendor
There is a formula to loosing weight for both men and women. It involves changing the way you eat and cardo. Diets don't work because you go on them and that implies yo will go off of it.
The number of fat cells you have past that tender age you keep for the rest of your life. You can only reduce the size of the cells making you look like you lost them but you still have them. Thats the reason for the life style change. If you go on a diet and get to your target weight. Then you go off of the diet and gain weight again. you just reduced the size of the cells and then they blew right back up. Ounce you past into adult hood you must change your life style or you will always yo-yo back and forth with your weight.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Pudgy Stockton

Thought you ladies might find this interesting. There are lots of pictures of this woman. She was contemporary to John Grimeck and Steve Reeves, so 1940 - 1960ish. I love this picture since I do heavy lifting myself! I also found one of Marilyn Monroe that I had not seen before (who was also into weightlifting.)

pudgy_stockton.gif
[/IMG]

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Good luck on your weight lose pursuits!

I just lost about 30 pounds and numerous dress sizes in 9 weeks - becasue of the insanity of Basic Training - or boot camp as you may know it.

I've got to say - the most vintage way to lose weight is just hard work - run, run and more running - we ate whatever we could get - I had pie about three times a day - a habit I miss now that I'm home and have to control myself. This is an extream enviroment and we were always hungry from the intensity.

Losing weight is hard - good luck, go running or any other hard cardio and don't forget to do strength training. Don't be afraid is you are losing inches but not weight - at the end of basic that's what happened to me, I stopped seeing a number lose, but I built abdomninal and arm muscle while burning fat.

Good Luck!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
RebeccaDoll said:
Good luck on your weight lose pursuits!

I just lost about 30 pounds and numerous dress sizes in 9 weeks - becasue of the insanity of Basic Training - or boot camp as you may know it.

I've got to say - the most vintage way to lose weight is just hard work - run, run and more running - we ate whatever we could get - I had pie about three times a day - a habit I miss now that I'm home and have to control myself. This is an extream enviroment and we were always hungry from the intensity.

Losing weight is hard - good luck, go running or any other hard cardio and don't forget to do strength training. Don't be afraid is you are losing inches but not weight - at the end of basic that's what happened to me, I stopped seeing a number lose, but I built abdomninal and arm muscle while burning fat.

Good Luck!

One thing I don't know if anyone has mentioned:
Retro Style garments look best on a certain type of body...one that isnt too muscular or straight, one that has a defined waist, and one that is healthy looking. So it stands to reason that the exercise routines of the past would be good ones for ladies like us, that love Vintage style. Calisthenics, dancing, roller skating (as was mentioned), weight training...these are all things that have never gne out of style because they're still the best way to do things...tried and true! Swimming, Tennis...keep active and stay healthy. Pilates is another great method because it incorporates the muscles w/out bulking them up. These things and a clean diet will almost always have great results.

Okay, that's my two cents.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
harvesthobo said:
I've heard weighted hula hoops are good for that, but I can't really tell if it's true or just a bunch of internet hype. Any info?

Also, does anyone know what the difference is between a weighted hoop with grooves and a smooth one?

I don't know the difference between grooved hoops and smooth ones - I don't think there's a big one in terms of benefit. You do want a weighted one though! I have a friend who has lost a couple of inches by hooping, and it's something you can easily do at home while watching TV. I have a lot of friends who are into hooping and it's FUN! That's the best way to make sure that you stay on any exercise regimen.

Something else to consider - birth control pills. The aforementioned friend lost about 20 pounds by going off hormonal birth control. Most women gain weight on the pill, so that's something to consider.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I don't know the difference between grooved hoops and smooth ones - I don't think there's a big one in terms of benefit. You do want a weighted one though! I have a friend who has lost a couple of inches by hooping, and it's something you can easily do at home while watching TV. I have a lot of friends who are into hooping and it's FUN! That's the best way to make sure that you stay on any exercise regimen.

Something else to not - birth control pills. The aforementioned friend lost about 20 pounds by going off hormonal birth control. Most women gain weight on the pill, so that's something to consider.

Of course, most women gain weight being pregnant too.... ;)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I haven't had trouble with weight gain (from the former)...but I am extremely active. I am also hoping not to gain weight with the latter state of being, when that day arrives.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
harvesthobo said:
I saw one of the ladies here mention hula hooping, and I was wondering how well it actually works. I'm fairly thin but I'd like to flatten my stomach (people think I have a six pack but that's only because they never see my pot belly when I'm not sucking it in haha) and I have a slight hourglass shape to my waist that I'd like to enhance if possible. I don't really want to use corsets or anything - I'd rather just get the smallest waist I can within my body's natural limits. I know that a lot of the hourglass figure depends on bone structure (especially ribs) so I might already be at my limit, but I'd at least like to see if I could slim it down any more. I've heard weighted hula hoops are good for that, but I can't really tell if it's true or just a bunch of internet hype. Any info?

Ah HarvestHobo, a woman after my own heart! I am a hula hoopdance junkie! I hate exercise and this is the only way I can exercise consistently. I've only been doing it since the spring so I haven lost a ton of wight but I am starting to see some definition. The first hoop I bought was from a company called hoopnotica. The hoop weighs about 1.5 lbs and is a smooth hoop. The weight is enough to keep the momentum up and keep it on your body and light enough to manipulate and dance with. I have since downsized to a lighter smaller hoop that I made myself (so economical)that makes certain tricks easier. The weighted hoops with the ridges on them are only to be used for waist hooping and aren't reccomended for use on other body parts.

It's so much fun. Feel free to PM me is you have any questions or advice on a hoop. I have some hoops to spare!

Maja

New in Town
I think swimming is one of the best forms of exercise, you get resistence and cardio. I'm also fond of rollerskating, biking (60-90 min daily), walking, and weight training.

bettylovekitten

New in Town
I like to walk by the picture at the gym I go to of Marilyn Monroe weight lifting. She lifted weights and ran. She had a marvelous figure! I would like to say too sometimes women are fearful of weights nervous they will put on bulk. I am 5'2. I am definitely a pear shape. Although from weight training I definitely am more symmetrical.

It doesn't have to be complicated to really lose the weight and shape the body you want. I used to avoid working the lower body with strength training because I didn't want to gain bulk there. I would do cardio and it definitely slimmed me down. I will say that kickboxing, and running are some of the best cardio you can do to slim down. They both are all over body work. I have never had a problem with gaining bulk in my lower half from either one. If anything they leaned me out the best! lol and I love them both! I think too in line skating is a fantastic idea! I just found a new love- the stair climber. And of course I have decided to take on working my lower body with strength training. I'm so happy I did. I have seen more change, and very happy with the result :)

A magazine I love to check out is oxygen- excellent workouts you can do with weights at home. Also clean eating magazine. Excellent recipes! When I started strength training, and doing a variety of cardio- I dropped weight but most of all I dropped inches quicker. Don't always rely on the scale. Not everyone is meant to have the same weight. And depending on muscle mass its more important to look at your inches to find out how your body fat percentage is spread out.

Also one more thing about the cardio- I have two kids and not always a lot of time. So when I strength training I do high interval cardio on about two or three days. But I never go over 25-30 min usually. And I still have great results, in fact you may burn more fat.

So have fun with it! Take a class! Super fun!

zombi

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Something else to consider - birth control pills. The aforementioned friend lost about 20 pounds by going off hormonal birth control. Most women gain weight on the pill, so that's something to consider.
:eek:fftopic:
There has actually been research that shows that there is no evidence that oral contraceptives cause weight gain. Some types of hormonal birth control can more readily lead to weight gain in individuals and some types can lead to water retention and/or increased appetite. However, it's also important to consider that many women begin taking hormonal birth control in their later teens and early twenties, during which time they may gain weight and experience changes in their body shape regardless of whether or not they take hormonal birth control.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
bettylovekitten - I love weight training too and for all of the same reasons you mentioned. I, on the other hand, am rather tall and heavy boned. But, still, I also do not have bulk issues (and I lift very heavy as compared to most.) I also love the pictures of Marilyn lifting weights. I need to get a couple from my husband to post in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112