Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

Canadave

One Too Many
scotrace said:
My experience in getting new glasses this year has been a trip. No optometrist in my area carried the vintage frames i wanted. So I ordered via an internet company...

Can you provide a link to that internet company? Thanks.

Andykev said:
...Glass lenses are dangerous, heavy, and prone to scratching ...

Actually, I think plastic is more prone to scratching than glass. My father was an optometrist.

David

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I like the glass for the fact that I think it is just cool. I really wouldn't recomend the glass. Logically I should go with the plastic... thin glass close to your eyes is a bad combination.

Though, I will still order the glass for future prescriptions.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Canadave said:
Actually, I think plastic is more prone to scratching than glass. My father was an optometrist.

David

Not as much anymore as they used to. With the new anti-scratch coatings they offer for plastic lenses, I rarely get scratches now. Regards! Michaelson

Merlin

Familiar Face
The Wolf said:
Great glasses!
You look like the guy that played Pvt. Gripweed in "How I Won the War".

Umm. . . wow, I've never heard him referred to that way. The guy who played Gripweed in "How I Won The War" was a musician named John Lennon.

=)

Canadave

One Too Many
Merlin said:
Umm. . . wow, I've never heard him referred to that way. The guy who played Gripweed in "How I Won The War" was a musician named John Lennon.

=)

John Lennon? Wasn't he in a band with the guy from "Wings"? ;)

David

swinggal

One Too Many
I have a few pairs of vintage sunglasses. I think they were the hardest thing aquire over my many years of collecting to complete my outfits. I prefer the 1930s ones actually. My grandmother had a pair of white ones with green lenses that were great....wish she had of kept them.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Matt..nice look all the way around! Thanks for starting this thread. I have wanted to look into vintage frames for some time, but wasn't sure if they could be fitted with prescription lenses. Now I know and a hunting I will go! :cheers1:

shamus

Suspended
Vintage Eye Glasses

I have an old pair of Windsor eyeglasses that I picked up in a thrift shop a few years ago and have worn them ever since... They're actually Winsor brand too.

The problem is someone at some time had resodered part of the nose piece and now it's a little off but I"m use to it and live with it becasuse I love these glasses so much.

Anyone else have an old windsor pair they're wearing? Know any place that can put a new nose piece on?

I've been watching ebay for about 2 years now and never have found my same pair for sale...

They're tough as nails and light as a feather. I'll never wear new glasses again!

Hiram

New in Town
Speaking of Vintage Eyewear

Has anybody here seen these guys before? I did a search here and didn't find it, so I figured it may be worth mentioning. I've been looking for a pair of Henry Miller glasses for a long time.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have bought a few pairs from these guys. They're a husband and wife team, and make vintage inspired glasses as well as selling vintage frames. And putting the lenses in through them is cheaper than taking them to my eye doctor. They go to the Rose Bowl flea market and the Vintage Expo in Santa Monica if you want to try them on yourself. Then they can put in your persciption and mail em to you. Or you can take them to your eye doctor to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112