Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

SteveAS

Practically Family
I recently got these frames from Fine Arts Optical in San Francisco. They are made of water buffalo horn and of recent manufacture, but the design is from about when the company was founded (1931).

2011-12-20_09-41-41_675.jpg

2011-12-20_09-42-04_519.jpg

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
One of the problems with glass lenses is weight. My first pair of glasses in the sixties was horned rims with glass lenses. Even with a mild scrip, they were constantly sliding down my nose. Very frustrating. Plastic lenses are much easier on the nose.:cool:

mooglesrcute

New in Town
Question about Tart Arnel

I hope this hasn't been covered, if so I apologize, my digging didn't yield the answer I sought.

After much researching, I'm left to assume that the variety of glasses Johnny Depp often wears are most likely Tart Arnel original vintage frames from 50+ years ago.

my question is, does anyone know if the original Tart Arnel or his progeny still manufacture new frames? As much as i'd like a pair of vintage frames, I'm not sure I can afford to spend that much at this stage in my life, I was hoping that a contemporary manufactured pair might run a little cheaper.

Is this website affiliated with the original Tart Arnel? http://www.tartoptical.com/main.html

Also, has anyone found a good website or place for browsing vintage Tart frames? I've found a few pair on ebay, but if there is a better place I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

univibe88

One Too Many
I can tell you this, the vintage Tart Arnel frames are WAY overpriced. The Tart Arnel name has some name recognition and has caused premium prices for their frames. You are better off just keeping an eye out for some vintage frames by a lesser known brand. You can also look at new frames from someone like Shuron (which is without a doubt the same Shuron that was pumping out browlines and horn rims in the 50s and 60s.

Another good source for brand new frames with vintage design is Moscot.

I am only guessing that the Tart link you provided is from a current day reincarnation who is cashing in on the brand recognition of the Tart name. I don't know this for sure, but it is my guess. They are certainly charging a pretty penny for those frames.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I hope this hasn't been covered, if so I apologize, my digging didn't yield the answer I sought.

After much researching, I'm left to assume that the variety of glasses Johnny Depp often wears are most likely Tart Arnel original vintage frames from 50+ years ago.

my question is, does anyone know if the original Tart Arnel or his progeny still manufacture new frames? As much as i'd like a pair of vintage frames, I'm not sure I can afford to spend that much at this stage in my life, I was hoping that a contemporary manufactured pair might run a little cheaper.

Is this website affiliated with the original Tart Arnel? http://www.tartoptical.com/main.html

Also, has anyone found a good website or place for browsing vintage Tart frames? I've found a few pair on ebay, but if there is a better place I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

I think the answer is yes... but whether they have the quality of the vintage frames I don't know. My dispenser fitted my NOS Tart Countdowns and commented on the quality of the manufacturing especially the hand finishing.

eBay is still the best place but once you want Depps in amber in say 44/46 you must expect to pay.

mooglesrcute

New in Town
Thanks for the help everyone. I have stumbled on moscot's before, and they seem to be a suitable substitute at this stage in my life but I'm glad to see them mentioned here again, as that makes me feel more comfortable with going that route.

As far as I can ascertain from ebay, vintage tart arnel frames seem to run anywhere from $400-$800, does that seem accurate from what you fellows have witnessed?

univibe88

One Too Many
It also depends on what style you want. Tortoise in the exact style that Johnny Depp has in size 46 lenses will cost a fortune.

Look at this link: http://www.vintageeyeglassesonline.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=1&log=false&category=2

"Johnny Depp" glasses for $1199. Ridiculous! Same frames in a clear/redwood combo are $199. Personally I love the combos. Very vintage look without but more unique. Solid black/tortoise is becoming pretty standard issue in the hipster crowd.

univibe88

One Too Many
Another suggestion for you: http://allynscura.com/legend.htm It's modern repro made in Japan. I have some (as I think some others in this thread do.) The are very well made frames at an affordable price that will give you the vintage look you are looking for.

Which reminds me, I noticed on the Tart link you provided that those frames are made in Japan. That supports my thought that they are modern reproductions.

havershaw

Practically Family
hey, all! I realize I don't get to stop in here very often anymore. But someone directed my attention to this thread - and I have become something of an expert on vintage eyeglasses in the last year, so I actually have something to contribute here!

I wear vintage Tart Arnels daily - I have a pair of amber, black, and two brownsmoke, as well as a pair of Arnel-ish Wilkie in blackwood, and a pair of black Tart FDR.

The Arnels, especially in amber, are indeed extremely pricey. Probably not worth it for a lot of people, but once you've seen an authentic vintage pair in person...that color is really something special...it changes a man.

If you want to engage in some serious vintage eyeglasses lust, I direct your attention to the following site:
http://optvisions.com/shop_v52/vintage-01.html
Amazingly detailed photos of every possible size and color combination of both the Arnel and the FDR.
All are sold out, so you can't buy any, but you can really examine these great frames in astonishing detail (I can't believe how much time I've spent on their site).

The currently-operating Tart Optical is a boutique manufacturer out of CA. They were making Arnel and FDR repros for the last few years...pretty good quality (I've owned a pair of the Arnel), though overly chunky and curved in the front. But decent. They were about $200.
But in August, Tart got a new manufacturer, and 'redesigned' the Arnel and made it available in a much wider range of colors. The bad news is that now it's even less authentic in shape - even more curved, with the horns really smoothed out. And also, they are over $400 now. sigh.

For repros, there is a seller on eBay called licena36 who sells decent Arnel repros for a reasonable price. Their demi amber is a reasonable facsimile of the vintage amber (which is a magical color when seen in person).
The Dolabany Arnold is also supposed to be a great Arnel copy.

I have owned repros and originals...and for my money, no one has gotten the repro right. The fronts are too curved, the angles of the horns aren't right, the colors aren't great...I don't understand why in the world it's so hard to make a really accurate reproduction, but no one has done it.

When I finally broke down and spent the crazy money on the originals, it was worth every single penny. The repros seemed like a joke to me once I'd actually held the real ones in my hand. And I understood better why the originals are so expensive.

They are awesome.

If you live in the LA area, I recommend Alex at Optical Sphere. He's in the Fairfax district, on 3rd across from the Farmer's Market. He's got a pretty amazing selection of vintage frames from all eras, and his prices are really great (he also does prescription lenses at an amazing price, which is why I have 9 pair of vintage frames all fitted with lenses for my incredibly heavy astigmatism).

He's also quite a character. Tell him Bob from Arizona sent you!

mooglesrcute

New in Town
interesting that you mention allyn scura univibe, I actually have a pair of legends, they were my first 'tart' style frames, and i've been so very pleased with them. For anyone looking for a modern replica, they are great quality for a reasonable price, I got mine probably about 2 years ago for 165ish I think.

Havershaw thanks for all the advice it was most helpful =D

univibe88

One Too Many
That's cool that you have some Allyn Scura. For what it's worth, I also own some. So to anyone else reading my recommendation is from personal experience. The same with Shuron.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I have been watching this thread on glasses does anyone have say a "Name Brand" glasses that might be in stock in a optical store that has good vintage lines? Most shop's here in the midwest carry basic name brand glasses.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Coastal Contacts offers a pretty good Depp for a fairly decent price: Johnny Depp 8005. I have some pretty good experience with Coastal, though I can't vouch for their plastic frames as I have no hands-on experience with them.

johnny-depp-8005-me-S.gif

havershaw

Practically Family
Those Johnny Depp glasses are cool, but they just look like 80s Wayfarers to me.

This site has really great Tart reproductions. Very high quality, and MADE IN USA. Also, a lot of cool color combos:
http://microshapes.com/midcenturyframe.html

I also wanted to share with you something I got today. The rarest of the rare - An original Tart Arnel - in BLACKWOOD.

AidEgAWCAAAbm4V.jpg

Some folks say that Tart never made the Arnel in Blackwood. My answer would be:
AidFXRCCQAEQADy.jpg

(note "New York 1" address, indicating it's at least pre-1963)

but I won't argue that they sure didn't make many. Probably the second pair I've ever seen.

Last edited:

havershaw

Practically Family
Great blackwood color. Look real good on you. Did you find them on eBay?

Yep. I kind of took a chance, because the bridge on these is smaller than what I normally wear. But on the really old Tarts, I've found that the bridge tends to be a little bigger than it's marked. My 42-24 brownsmokes that are super early Tart have a bridge that measures out to 25mm. I can comfortably go down to 22. So I was hoping, like my older brownsmokes, that the bridge would be a little bigger, and sure enough, it measures 21.

(you know they're really early Tart if there are no stamps on the arms.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran