Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Hi all - this is my first post over here, coming from The Cap Faction thread. I've been casually collecting eyewear for over 25 years - and I'll enjoy posting some of the wild things I've found in my travels. I put my prescription in the ones I love - here's the first one to intro to you - 1840's 'D Frame' specs, made for train riding (coal dust was apparently not enjoyed by passengers on windowless train cars!). Such an elegant and totally modern design.

motorist1.jpg motorist2.jpg motorist3.jpg

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and I look forward to some good exchange with you!

Keith

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Wow, I guess this is dead, judging by the tumbleweeds rolling through here....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Not dead yet.

I choose to wear pince-nez as my reading glasses - mainly because they are small and the case (a beautiful sterling silver art deco model) fits easily into my pants pocket. DSCF2253.JPG

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
After being inspired by MisterGrey's post the other day, I bought a pair of glasses from the bay yesterday.

They looked good in the picture(s), but I guess I'll see when they get here.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
The eyeglasses I wear the most, as seen in the photo below, I purchased used from an Unclaimed Baggage outlet for $5, and just happened to already have lenses very close to my own prescription. So close that I've never bothered to change them. I have no idea about the brand or if they are true vintage or vintage reproduction. Still, what a deal at five bucks.
1375834_10153377042575077_2069453302_n.jpg

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Hi guys, nice to see your specs!

Shanghailander, love your pince-nez! I often think of getting my prescription in some, but I'm kind of blind and I think they would be too heavy with my poor prescription. I'll dig out an amazing pair of Italian folding 1930s pince-nez frames with original orange lenses that are one of the coolest eyeglass designs I've ever seen.

Matt, I remember seeing that picture when you showed your Fedora – I noted the glasses mentally then. Do the temples curl around your year? What do the backs look like? They are a really great shape for your face. Nice!

Keith

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I would never wear contact lenses. I don't like the idea of putting anything in my eye, despite what millions of people do every day.

If I was to need glasses full time, I would definitely go with what Matt is wearing, or what MisterGrey showed above.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Glad to hear I'm having a positive impact! Can't wait to see what the new specs look like, scotty. Speaking as someone in the optical field, I also share your concern with contact lenses; there's an incredibly high threshold of responsibility required that, to me, isn't worth the cosmetic benefit; very recently I've encountered a spate of individuals coming into my office for medical reasons related to contact lens abuse and misuse. Since I handle the glasses end of things, some of the stuff was pretty shockingly horror-movie worthy; one patient in particular, barely older than me, is facing permanent blindness in one eye because of CL abuse. Not a risk one runs with spectacles. It's also worth noting that, for those of us with astigmatism, CLs aren't as precise as glasses, and won't correct vision as thoroughly.

earl

A-List Customer
The eyeglasses I wear the most, as seen in the photo below, I purchased used from an Unclaimed Baggage outlet for $5, and just happened to already have lenses very close to my own prescription. So close that I've never bothered to change them. I have no idea about the brand or if they are true vintage or vintage reproduction. Still, what a deal at five bucks.
1375834_10153377042575077_2069453302_n.jpg
Those look like the first prescription glasses I bought some 8 years ago. Still use them as a second pair. Earl

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I've worn various iterations of these old Art-Craft rimless "Marshfield" frames since I was a child, forty years ago.

IN addition these days I also wear Shuron Zyl framed and rimless Pince-Nez, generally a fingerpiece as it holds my bifocals in just the right position.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Very nice. I would date those to about 1840. Amazingly similar detailing to a pair of small round silver specs I own. I will don them tomorrow and take a few snaps. Thanks for the tipoff!

Keith

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Vitanola, are those new pince-nez glasses?

Mine are all vintage and I had new, plastic, prescription lenses made for them. I have three styles, all rimless - the C-bridge, hoop spring, and Astig.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
As promised! 1840's folding arm silver specs. Got these in about 1990 for $50 at a consignment shop. I've worn them to death. Newsboy cap is Class of 1919 (come over to the Cap Faction if interested, lots of amazing lids there).

Keith

1840s.jpg 1840s-2.jpg class_of_1919-2.jpg

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Nice looking rimless specs Vitanola. I've been wearing the Art-Craft semi-rimless Rimway style (cable temples) for some twenty years now. Best glasses I've ever worn. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran