Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Glasses...

My green, tortoise shell, UV protected, scratch resistant, progressive, transition bifocals were bought at 39dollarglasses.com (see avatar). My 100% titanium clear lenses also came from there. Most frames are $39. My glasses were $108 apiece. LOTS of styles to choose from.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I have been needing glasses for a while and just found the Zenni site courtesy of my wife. Naturally, I came to the lounge to see if anyone had experience with them - how did this venture come out? Was the quality there?

-Dave

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SHOW US YOUR SPECTA .... CLES

I cannot recall if I ever posted these. French Zyl octagon frames from I suppose the 1930s but help provenancing them is appreciated. I had my optician put light green prescription lenses. (I now regret it, because I wish they were normal sunglasses without prescription or else non-sunglass prescription glasses. But ... c'est la vie.)
DSCF3128.jpg

These are similar to Ronsir Shurons but have a safety-glasses crucifix type thing on the edges, which gives the freakish cast of which I am fond, plus the arms are shiny chrome.

DSCF2229.jpg

Dr Doran

I got these for my daughter. Kind of 1950s/early 1960s-looking, the thick black nerd spectacles thing. They cost one dollar.

DSCF3098.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
kabuto said:
I bet the cheap price won't pay for astigmatism grinding, and certainly not for any sort of variable focus lenses.

Not an issue for me, thankfully. It is for my wife, unfortunately.

They tried to sell me up to better frames, and about a half dozen coatings and lens treatments. I just said No to everything. I wore those glasses a long time.

My local optometrist can't even be bothered to properly size frames to your face. I'm tired of it.

Still wondering if Dinerman got the Zenni frames.

-Dave

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I got a pair of their line less bi focals after I ruined my previous pair by getting overspray on them. I paid around $50 for them and while their not very stylish they are decent work glasses.
d_2048.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
cooncatbob said:
I got a pair of their line less bi focals after I ruined my previous pair by getting overspray on them. I paid around $50 for them and while their not very stylish they are decent work glasses.
d_2048.jpg

That's the exact pair of frames I was planning to get (along with a set of aviator sunglasses). Any pictures of them on? They're a dead ringer for my current frames, but with a slightly taller lens.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
cooncatbob said:
Here you go, actually my frames are brown.

Thanks, Bob. It looks like they're not entirely different from what I'm wearing right now. I'm afraid I'm very much stuck with wearing rectangular frames, round frames just make me look - well... round!

CampusFive, I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm actually looking to save a bundle rather than look period-correct. I can basically afford the eye exam right now, but not the eyewear. Zenni's prices are so cheap, I can actually afford to get two pair and still come out ahead.

-Dave

Dr Doran

Thanks. I'd love to see more specs. (Wouldn't it make more sense to put everyone's new glasses in a single thread rather than starting new threads each time someone gets new glasses? Like what happens with Show Us Your New Suits and the Spectators thread.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy