Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE FEDORA'S WHO'S BEST ?

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well maybe the handling of Mercury explains why yall are stuck in this time warp... *looks at myself* hmf...must be passed down genetically too...

*grumble*

As for a real response to this post I live and breathe Stetson's "Legendary Hats Since 1865". Tho the quality slipped for a few years this year's crop has weathered storms with no die runoff...which has thrilled me (as a few people noted was a problem with their newer hats). As for Vintage I'm with Wild Root on brand choice.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
ledsled said:
Fascinating information Fedora! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. This may be a stupid question, but is mercurial nitrate different than mercury? I remember playing with mercury in the late 50's, so I was wondering about the 1947 date for mercurial nitrate being outlawed in the US.... and if that did not apply to mercury? I often wonder what happened to my cherished supply of mercury. Perhaps I could trace my intellectual shortcomings back to playing with mercury! lol

I'm not a chemist, but I do know that elemental mercury is not nearly so easily absorbed by the body as are compounds of mercury. Simply put, whenever you combine a poisonous heavy metal like say,...mercury for instance, with an element that is easily absorbed by the human body, like oxygen, it's nothing but trouble.
A friend of mine told me about a time when a mercury thermometer broke in a deep fryer he was cooking with, releasing all of it's mercury content into his french fries. He and his friends did not realize this until they had eaten the fries! They called the local hospital and the medical people there told them it was completely harmless and that any mercury they may have ingested would just pass right through them.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Now I'll have to blame other chemicals!

:eek:fftopic:

In my case, that's not a relief. I will no longer be able to blame innocent child's play. I'll have to go back to living a foolish youth full of wild partying. Now, if I could only remember the good times.... :p

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Knox and The Perfect Hat

my two favorite vintage hats are a tan 1930's knox (Stratoliner Style) and a grey hat from The Perfect Hat Company 1930's?

Does any one own a hat from the Perfect Hat Company?

I'll post photos later...

cheers,

WeeGee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR