Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hair Crisis

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Fortworthgal, your hair looks fantastic in those photos. (Can I also say you have beautiful skin?)

I like combs because I have very slippery hair that tends to fall out of other barrettes. The closest I've come to "vintage" is by getting as much curl as possible out of my somewhat wavy hair and then pulling it back with combs.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
fortworthgal said:
My hair is almost the same as what you described, landgirl, although mine is shorter than yours in the back. It is extremely thick and layered, but my hair is also very coarse. It isn't quite long enough to do full-on reverse rolls, so I fake it with combs. Combs are the layered girl's best friend! They hold all the shorter hairs in place and seem to grip better than just pins. If your hair is long enough to tuck behind your ears, it is long enough for combs. I've literally done day-long events outside in the wind with no "hairstyle failure" using combs. lol

http://www.ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=2103563

2103563.jpg

I style mine by parting it on the side. Then I backcomb the sides/front a bit for volume. I use a brush and pull my sides and front up (I twist the front bangs towards the back a bit and then combine it with the side, so it stays in place), pouf it up a bit by pushing it forward, then slide the comb in to secure it in place. Spray it! Then I use a curling iron and brush and curl the back, or flip it up - I have seen a lot of 1940s photos of women with hair flipped up in the back. You could also curl the back a bit and wear a snood, if your hair is long enough (mine isn't yet).

Here are a few pictures of the way this looks on me (sorry I don't have any shots of it outside of uniforms):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/WASP and 2006 Fly-In/DSCN1252.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/36th Div Reunion 2006/DSCN1391.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Lancaster 2006/DSCN14453.jpg

And you can see a better example of how the combs are in my hair:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Lancaster 2006/DSCN14421.jpg

Another option would be to only pull the sides up with combs and leave your bangs out, then curl them under into a nice little roll with a curling iron, or do a fringe as other girls have suggested.

Your hair looks gorgeous! I am definately going to invest in some of those combs... but please be prepared for when I can't put them in! LOL I am so rubbish at doing my hair - just too scared to experiment, God knows why - it soon washes out doesn't it!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
try using ordinary hair combs first - just make sure you get ones that are quite deep - they stay in better. I use combs a lot. It's much easier and more practical - particularly if you are wearing a HAT (which of course, nice girls do...) as hats tend to squish rolls.

I look kind of awful with rolls at the front anyway because my head is quite flat and it makes me look like I have antennae!

That's my excuse!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
You can find hair combs pretty much anywhere. The ones I have are just cheap Goody brand, they're like 2 for $1 or something at Wal-Mart. Most drugstores will sell them as well!

Just make sure you put them in with the spikes facing the front (towards your face) and push them into the hair, that way they will really "bite in" and hold better.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
~landgirl~ said:
Your hair looks gorgeous!

Polka Dot said:
Fortworthgal, your hair looks fantastic in those photos. (Can I also say you have beautiful skin?)

Thank you! I am NOT adept at styling my own hair, and even I can do combs. If I can do it, anyone can! And if your hair isn't long enough for rolls or you have odd layers, they really are the best way to go.

And thank you for the compliment on my skin!

Gosh, I sound like a comb salesperson! lol

Grantgirl

New in Town
fortworthgal- I purchased those combs a few weeks ago on ulta's website! funny! Mine are one size smaller though because those long ones stick out in my hair. I part mine on the side and pull up both sides with the combs. You are right, they do NOT MOVE! You really can't get the same effect with barrettes or pins. Combs make a natural type 'roll' on the sides of the head. I have some short bangs out and then pull up the sides.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
They really are awesome. I saw a late 1930s ad for that same brand, Grip-Tuth. I need to swing by Ulta and pick some up!

The combs are versatile. I've only done the style in my avatar and the pictures I've posted, but this weekend I think I am going to try leaving some bangs out and curling them, and curling the back, kind of like this:
http://www.return2style.de/haare11.jpg

GOK

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
They really are awesome. I saw a late 1930s ad for that same brand, Grip-Tuth. I need to swing by Ulta and pick some up!

The combs are versatile. I've only done the style in my avatar and the pictures I've posted, but this weekend I think I am going to try leaving some bangs out and curling them, and curling the back, kind of like this:
http://www.return2style.de/haare11.jpg

Oohh swanky indeed! :D

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ooo, I second the combs for sure! Fortworth you do a great job with your short locks!

You can definitely curl with a flat iron, takes some practice. Try practicing first with the iron unplugged, as you need to be quick. One way is to just "act" as if it is a curling iron, takes lots of wrist action, just keep twirling it around with more tension on one side of the iron.

Another way is to put the iron at the base of the strip of hair, fold it over once with a lot of tension on the top side of the iron (the side that was closest to scalp when put in) and quickly pull out straight and taught. Imagine using scissors to curl ribbon, it's sort of the same thing. You can spiral long hair this way.

We use the CHI irons at work, the 1 inch bladed ones... not sure how other irons would work. The larger plated ones are harder to manipulate.

The combs are wonderful and you can set them at different angles. There are lots of great vintage combs on ebay too!

Landgirl, the way your layers are cut you will get quite a full do when curled, a more "helmet head" effect. However, putting in the combs at the side or top will make it look great! Think of Blondie's touseled do, (I adore that comic's hair!!!), or a softer version of Lucille Ball's such as this,
http://www.artwallpapers.net/actresses/lucille_ball/01/800.htm
or
http://www.skylinepictures.com/Lucille_Ball_mpc8_large.jpg
Ooo, here's another!
http://doctormacro.com/Images/Ball, Lucille/Annex/Annex - Ball, Lucille_03.jpg
I found some lovely pics of her while looking!

Of course it doesn't need to be that curly and I think the pageboy would look great too!

Fleur De I meant to tell you how much your fringe pic reminded me of Carmen Miranda!
http://doctormacro.com/Images/Miranda, Carmen/Miranda, Carmen_04.jpg

If you're going to grow your hair out, be sure to get it thinned so you can stand the process. I razor my client's hair, not on the ends, but taking the point of the razor and slicing into the hair vertically... Hope this helps!

Nikki

Grantgirl

New in Town
ftworth- post your pics when you get done w/ the new 'do'. I put one small roller in my bangs (wet set) and roll it under and when you take it out you can pretty much mold it into anything you want.

I'm reading a cosmetology book from the 30s and it was updated in the 60s and I'm fascinated with pincurl patterns. You can really create a finger wave look by properly patterning the pin curls and it is amazing how many patterns they have and how they will pretty much look exactly as they look in the book. I tried the S wave pattern last night and it worked, it was curly as all H#$% but it created the wave. I brushed it for a long time to work the curls down and then slept on it and it was STILL curled in the morning. I wore it all day today but I had to do a ponytail.

re: the combs, they are a definite MUST HAVE for vintage styles.

Kaela

Vendor
Actually, I had a *extremely* difficult time learning how to do my hair vintage at all! I'm still learning, six years later, all the styles I've loved never seem exactly right.
The first thing that helped me to do my hair better was when it was bleached, and I had killed it's will to disobey! It's true, because my hair was so fried, it was very plyable, and stiff, and stayed wherever I wanted it to. As we all know, that's very, very bad, and my hair is still recovering, but the point is, maybe you need to try something like a setting lotion to get it to mind for a while, and try simple things first!
I'd say rollers are just about the easiest way to get those good curls, without the horribly difficult pin-curls. (For all the sets I've done, I've only done one that I would call a true success! there's always one curl at least that doesn't turn out)! Anyhow, if you try rollers, all curled down, you could get yourself a nice pageboy with that cut.
If you have hair that resists curl, I'd say a hot iron will make curls that you won't like much, and won't last long.
The victory rolls that are so famous, are actually one of the easiest for being most impressive styles I've ever tried myself. Go over the "Beauty Tricks" section on http://www.LipstickVogue.com and I bet if you set in rollers first, you'd be able to get them to work!
Nothing has taught me patience like vintage hairstyles! lol, just kidding, it's not that tricky! Remember, it took me a long time to learn, but until I started, my hairstyle was to just part my hair down the middle and not even dry it!
Good luck!

Grantgirl

New in Town
Oh speaking of rollers, let me tell you what else I LOVE for an easy vintage look. Go and buy the old sponge curlers at the drugstore or wherever. I think I found three sizes at the dollar general. I would stick with medium to large, otherwise you will look like orphan annie.

Then on your side rolls part down from the crown straight down the back of the ear and position your rollers horizontally. One curls down, the next up, the next down, the next up. You should have 4 rollers for the sides. You can take them down after drying and you should have perfectly set finger waves down both sides. If you have enough patience to go around the entire head, go for it but I only do the sides and then roll the back under.

Be prepared to BRUSH the curl for a while to smooth it out and make it less shirley temple and more veronica lake. If you don't wear bangs you can part down the side and start at the part rolling one down, one up, etc. So far, for those who want the finger waved look without the nervous breakdown this is the best way I have found. Be careful to smooth the ends to avoid the 'fish-hooked' effect.

If it is too curly simply run your curling iron quickly down the sides to pull out some of the curl. it will last though and take you through the next day if needed.

Faye Valentine

Grantgirl said:
Oh speaking of rollers, let me tell you what else I LOVE for an easy vintage look. Go and buy the old sponge curlers at the drugstore or wherever. I think I found three sizes at the dollar general. I would stick with medium to large, otherwise you will look like orphan annie.

lol I love how you refer to those really curly/frizzy afro curls as Orphan Annie hair. It's funny, that was what really annoyed me about Annie when I was a little girl; Her Darn puffy curly afro hair!!:rage: lol

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I have ridiculously straight hair that refuses curl, but I found a product that has been like a miracle for me: sunset styling lotion by giovanni.

I tried it for the first time this weekend, while doing a pin curl set (I just combed it through damp hair before winding) and my curls lasted more than 24 hours! My hair was not stiff or greasy and it looked quite nice. I'm very pleased with this product, just thought I'd share in case anyone's looking for something new to try.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I am pretty low maitenence when it comes to vintage hair. I had my hair dresser cut my hair into a Louise Brooks style ( sans the bangs), and it is a wash and wear vintage look I can wear everyday. For speciel occasions, I like to put my hair into finger waves.

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
change

I have decided on a definite 'general image' now. I am going for a burlesque/rockabilly/50's look as I think it suits me best, especially with being into the cars and having trouble getting clothes. I am trying to get my hair like this;

[/IMG]
bdc_tn006.jpg

This is like ms Bernie Dexter. My hubby likes it this way too and I'm getting it cut tomorrow - its already very dark brown. I'm not good at curly but can do it so occasionally!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Eleanor, I think you will look just darling with that new 'do! Be sure to post photos after you've had it done ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy