Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hair Crisis

GOK

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
jen, a really good trick for cutting a fringe accurately is to use a beard trimmer! Because it's a mini clipper with a flat edge you just make sure it's dead straight then press into your fringe with it. Then go along matching it up until you have done all the way across.

That is such a cool idea, Fleur - I shall have a go. Since K has both a beard and cropped hair, he has trimmers for both! I assume you do it dry?

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Tourbillion said:
You could try some styles like these:
326941004_aae07be08c.jpg

That fringe is how I have done mine today - all pinned back! It's just knowing how to do the ends that way but I think my hair would bounce that way without too much trouble!

I am going to post a pic of me in my new skirt and cardigan in the 'Red Dress Shoppe Skirt' thread a little later today, so perhaps you can see the fringe!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
GOK said:
That is such a cool idea, Fleur - I shall have a go. Since K has both a beard and cropped hair, he has trimmers for both! I assume you do it dry?

I've done it dry and wet, though obviously with dry you know exactly where you are and can allow for curl etc. It really is a great way of doing it, and the beard trimmer is much sharper and more precise than say a normal clipper. Plus if you've already got one to try and you can already do it with scissors anyway in case it doesn't work for you, even better!

GOK

One Too Many
I think if there was more curl/wave in the body and bottom of it, it would look very vintage. As for colour, I have to be honest and say that I preferred it dark. However, that's not to say it doesn't look nice like that. :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
You could get it with hot curler tongs but not sure with straighteners, you could try curling it around the straighteners but it might make a square curl! When you make them with hot things it's best to pin them in place as they cool then they will last longer. You could always pop to Argos before tonight to get a set of hot curlers which are on offer at the moment! Until the end of today at any rate. Annoying since I bought my best friend some last week before they went on offer! Those you just stick in and leave in until they are cooled. with the top like you posted and just a few curlers around the bottom to just add wave it wouldn't take long to make a more 40s-y look.

GOK

One Too Many
My hairdresser showed me how to curl using GHDs - needless to say he is brilliant and I am not! However, I do my fringe with them at least three times a week, so I'm not completely useless!

Check this out;

http://www.ghdhair.com/index.php?c=uk

It's a bit convoluted, so bear with me! Along the menu bar above the flash pane, click on:

Trends ----> Looks ----> (in the flash pane itself) Step by Step Techniques ----> (choose from list) ----> (choose intro, video, step by step guide)

Or you could choose Scarlett Johansonn from the Celebrity Looks menu - that one is quite a vintage look.

Good luck!

fleur

One of the Regulars
Jen before pinning it have you tried giving it a little tease at the root, twist it once or twice then before actually pinning push it forward so it gives it a bit of height.

this works for me for the height thing but I have fine hair - you might want to forego the teasing once you are used doing it.

Grantgirl

New in Town
I think we all tend to think we need vintage tools to get the look sometimes. I can't pin curl for $%^# but if I take my shower, get out and wring out as much water as I can still leaving it fairly wet, put some styling product in (I use a gel) and start pin curling as best I can around the sides and then use my electric curlers (without the heat) to roll up the back and the rest of what I can't pin curl, if you have a bonnet dryer to sit under, you can achieve the look without the 'orphan annie' look that comes from leaving them in overnight.

If you don't like the look of the pin curls, tone them down w/ a curling iron and then take a large chunk of hair and brush it around your fingers to get that turned under roll. Then pin your bangs a little more over to one side and I think you will have it. You might let the sides grow out just a touch but your bangs are dead on if you decide to do the 'short bangs' look. I think you guys call it fringe, we say bangs haha...

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My hair is almost the same as what you described, landgirl, although mine is shorter than yours in the back. It is extremely thick and layered, but my hair is also very coarse. It isn't quite long enough to do full-on reverse rolls, so I fake it with combs. Combs are the layered girl's best friend! They hold all the shorter hairs in place and seem to grip better than just pins. If your hair is long enough to tuck behind your ears, it is long enough for combs. I've literally done day-long events outside in the wind with no "hairstyle failure" using combs. lol

http://www.ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=2103563

2103563.jpg

I style mine by parting it on the side. Then I backcomb the sides/front a bit for volume. I use a brush and pull my sides and front up (I twist the front bangs towards the back a bit and then combine it with the side, so it stays in place), pouf it up a bit by pushing it forward, then slide the comb in to secure it in place. Spray it! Then I use a curling iron and brush and curl the back, or flip it up - I have seen a lot of 1940s photos of women with hair flipped up in the back. You could also curl the back a bit and wear a snood, if your hair is long enough (mine isn't yet).

Here are a few pictures of the way this looks on me (sorry I don't have any shots of it outside of uniforms):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/WASP and 2006 Fly-In/DSCN1252.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/36th Div Reunion 2006/DSCN1391.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Lancaster 2006/DSCN14453.jpg

And you can see a better example of how the combs are in my hair:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Lancaster 2006/DSCN14421.jpg

Another option would be to only pull the sides up with combs and leave your bangs out, then curl them under into a nice little roll with a curling iron, or do a fringe as other girls have suggested.

Kim_B

Practically Family
fleur said:
Jen before pinning it have you tried giving it a little tease at the root, twist it once or twice then before actually pinning push it forward so it gives it a bit of height.

this works for me for the height thing but I have fine hair - you might want to forego the teasing once you are used doing it.

This is what I do and I've gotten many compliments on how "vintage" or "old-fashioned" my hair looks...I use pretty much any type of barrette as long as it matched my hair color, as my hair is too thick to hold pins and they slide out immediately after I have them perfectly in place! I part my hair as normal (or which ever way it feels like going that day...), grab the section of hair I wish to pin, give it a slight twist back (not too tight, but kind of roll it over a time or two), and push it forward a bit. Then I pin/barrette it, gently pulling out a few smaller sections that need a little more oomph! I do this on both sides and it takes me no longer than 10 minutes and I do it either wet or dry without any products. I'll have to take some pictures so you can see what I mean.

I do this either on the front and sides if I part my hair, or I do it in the front only, for more of a pomp look (ha! almost typed pimp! silly girl...)

I am going to have to try the combs that you suggested, fortworthgal - I forgot all about those, and your hair looks lovely!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Kim_B said:
I part my hair as normal (or which ever way it feels like going that day...), grab the section of hair I wish to pin, give it a slight twist back (not too tight, but kind of roll it over a time or two), and push it forward a bit. Then I pin/barrette it, gently pulling out a few smaller sections that need a little more oomph! I do this on both sides and it takes me no longer than 10 minutes and I do it either wet or dry without any products. I'll have to take some pictures so you can see what I mean.

I do this either on the front and sides if I part my hair, or I do it in the front only, for more of a pomp look (ha! almost typed pimp! silly girl...)

I am going to have to try the combs that you suggested, fortworthgal - I forgot all about those, and your hair looks lovely!

That's pretty much how I do mine, I just use the combs to hold it in place. It is super easy, and I always get compliments on how "40s" my hair is when I do it.

Thanks for the compliments!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
~landgirl~ said:
Do you think I could achieve the curl with my straighteners? I am rubbish at curling my hair!

Probably not. You really need to curl hair to get it to look 40's and it is hard to get a curl with a straightener.

I can get my hair to curl under with the curved edge of my straight iron, but that is about it. In a pinch you could try to curl the ends under in back a do a pageboy look. I don't know if your razor cuts are in the wrong place for that or not though.

Here is an ideal pageboy that is kinda like your hair (except with fringes):

47pageboy.jpg

p.s. It might be time to get a curling iron, with a moderately small barrel, i.e 5/8" or 3/4".

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Tourbillion said:
Here is an ideal pageboy that is kinda like your hair (except with fringes):

47pageboy.jpg

p.s. It might be time to get a curling iron, with a moderately small barrel, i.e 5/8" or 3/4".

This is the most delightful cut I've seen for those who don't do well with pomps or rolls in the front--like me. I try so hard, but can't get the height normally.

OH! But I'm going to try some rats or even homemade ones and I'll let you know how those go.

Anyone here try rats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy