Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Knitting!

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Hello Ladies!
I feel really selfish asking this, but would you mind scanning and posting some of the patterns you've got?! I love old knitting patterns and thought that since there are,apparently, a buch of us on here that feel the same way we could all benefit from it.I have a few knitting pattern books with hats and bags that I could post from if you'd like.I also found this website a few days ago and thought that you may be interested!
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/womenspatterns.html

Thank you!

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie, will do!Thanks for the reminder!:) Do you think that it would be better if I delete that part of my message? I will do so gladly if you think that it is better.

Thanks for the link Kishtu!

leaette

A-List Customer
i am a crocheter. it's hard to find vintage patterns at flea markets/estate sales. at least in my neck of the woods. so i've gotton all of my vintage patterns on ebay. you can get them for a few bucks each. there are a lot of sellers selling copies of originals for a buck or two. and some will just email you the PDF so you don't have to wait for it in the mail.
i think the most i've spent on patterns is a lot of 3 WW2 military/red cross pattern books. i think i paid around $20 for that.
and if was in crochet, i would have spent more. i just wanted the knit ones because i collect ww2 stuff.

leaette

A-List Customer
ohhhh i am sooo excited. i went to a yard sale today and the lady had 4 big bags full of yarn. i'm not talking Joanne Fabrics yarn, i'm talking the very expensive kind from the boutique yarn stores. all are natural fibers too: wool, mohair, silk, etc. full skeins/hanks, doesn't smell funny.
i made out good! i spent $33 but i got probably about $200 worth of yarn! the one was $15 originally per hank (still had the price tag on it) and i got 3 of them for $15!
i'm going to make some pretty shawls with some 50's pattern books i have.
my hubby was laughing at me the whole time i was shopping. he knows better than to get in my way! hahaha.

Mimi

New in Town
I've managed to find some fabulous Minerva books from the mid-30s on eBay for a few dollars each. If you're a diligent searcher, you can also find some vintage Columbia-Minerva yarns, too...they are exquisite and you can't imagine the difference!

The reproduction books aren't bad, but I've found the originals much cheaper!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ah one of my favorite threads!

Kamiakat, you can find vintage knitting patterns with great ease for purchase on eBay.

And show us what you knit! I must admit that I'm an avid knitter but I don't do much knitting from vintage patterns because they are usually very very small needles for large products. But I'm always on the lookout for sweater dresses, so I can appreciate someone else's work!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I'm not having much luck with eBay. Since I posted my first post in this thread, I have been outbid on 5 vintage knitting magazines. They're out there, just in high demand. I'm getting quite frustrated. I guess I should only look for things that are ending right away so I don't get outbid. I fell in LOVE with a design recently and was outbid by $0.50 in the last 15 seconds. I almost cried! I did print a copy of the auction page and took it to a high-end yarn shop. The owner said she will try to find a similar pattern, she swears she's seen it before. It was a v-neck cardigan with a cute peplum.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Don't know if anyone can help me out on this one (and indeed not sure if mum will still know where the wretched things are...)

Couple of years ago I bought a bundle of vintage sewing and knitting patterns which were in some magazine of the period - it may have been "Golden Hands" or similar - anyway, these things were not repro, but genuine period handicraft magazines. Mum was going to knit me some lace edging out of one of them.... anyway.

IF she still has them (and she'd better have!) given that they are about 90 years old and the magazine has long since ceased publication, would I be infringing any copyright were I to put any of them up?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
for the US

Copyright subsists for a variety of lengths in different jurisdictions, with different categories of works and the length it subsists for also depends on whether a work is published or unpublished. In most of the world the default length of copyright for many works is generally the life of the author plus either 50 or 70 years. Copyright in general always expires at the end of the year concerned, rather than on the exact date of the death of the author. (The right to reclaim a copyright--or "terminate the transfer" of a copyright--commences and ends on the anniversaries of exact dates in the United States.)

So when can one conclude that a book is in the public domain? In the United States, all books and other works published before 1923 have expired copyrights and are in the public domain. In addition, works published before 1964 that did not have their copyrights renewed 28 years after first publication year also are in the public domain, except that books originally published outside the US by non-Americans are exempt from this requirement, if they are still under copyright in their home country (see How Can I Tell Whether a Copyright Was Renewed for more details).

But if the intended exploitation of the work includes publication (or distribution of derivative work, such as a film based on a book protected by copyright) outside the U.S., the terms of copyright around the world must be considered. If the author has been dead more than 70 years, the work is in the public domain in most, but not all, countries. In Italy and France, there are wartime extensions that could increase the term by approximately 6 years in Italy and up to about 14 in France. Some works are covered by copyright in Spain for 80 years after the author's death.

From the Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

Check for other countries....

Kishtu

Practically Family
Thanks. Will need to check out the magazines (knowing what they were would be a good start, right? ;) ) for dates etc but if they are okay I'll certainly make them available.

Whilst scuffling round the internet last night looking for something else altogether I came across this though....
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/patterns.html

kosmonaute

New in Town
Hello Ladies!
My name is My and I have been sneeking around all summer. I'm a big fan of vintage knits and I have a collection of magazines and books from the 20's-50's, too bad they're all in Swedish...
I just found this wonderfull site and it really hurts me that I'm not fully capable of reading the english instructions. I'm working on it, though.

http://www.agoodyarn.net/PT_Main.htm

My

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
While I was back home in Australia last month my mum gave me some of my grandma's knitting patterns. Here are some of my favorites.

000_1879.jpg

000_1880.jpg

000_1881.jpg

000_1882.jpg

000_1883.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925