Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Knitting!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Tried looking in your spam and trash folders?

I bet the invite is hiding in there......

I checked there too! I wonder if there isn't a problem with it bouncing back from Hotmail?:(

zaika

One Too Many
that's really odd!! i wonder if you couldn't contact them? 'cause in order to look up your status on the list, you have to enter your email you used...right?

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
zaika said:
that's really odd!! i wonder if you couldn't contact them? 'cause in order to look up your status on the list, you have to enter your email you used...right?

Yeah, I looked all over the pages you can access as a non member and I can't see any contact details!

It's all very peculiar, I will wait and see what happens with the other email address I tried, hopefully I'll get my next invite within the next week as I have about 3,000 people infront of me. I don't really see what else I can do!!!!!!

(Finger crossed)

olive bleu

One Too Many
my apologies if this has been already discussed...has anyone used a knitting machine? or any experience with ? i am toying with the idea of purchasing one ...

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
olive bleu said:
my apologies if this has been already discussed...has anyone used a knitting machine? or any experience with ? i am toying with the idea of purchasing one ...

I've toyed with the idea of purchasing one, too. From what I've seen, you can purchase a fairly inexpensive one for doing modern, sport weight and up knits, but if you want one that can do the finer weights for vintage patterns, you're gonna spend close to $1,000. So far, I've decided that if I get one, it will be the Silver Reed SK-270, but it's WAY out of my price range, so I'll keep dreaming.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have seen some used ones for sale locally for about half that.I most likey will invest in one over the next year. I do hand knit, but really, there is a limit to how much time i will spend on a project and still consider it fun:)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
kamikat said:
I've toyed with the idea of purchasing one, too. From what I've seen, you can purchase a fairly inexpensive one for doing modern, sport weight and up knits, but if you want one that can do the finer weights for vintage patterns, you're gonna spend close to $1,000. So far, I've decided that if I get one, it will be the Silver Reed SK-270, but it's WAY out of my price range, so I'll keep dreaming.

i am now KICKING myself, thank you. a few months ago there was a c. 1950 knitting machine listed on craigslist. it was up for weeks and i debated buying it the whole time, and then i didn't. it was in "like new" condition, and came with all the instructions and everything! $100. i was considering offering them $80, which i bet they would've accepted. :(

Justdog

Practically Family
Knitting

If I may I would like to tip a glass to my Mother here, she is a masterful knitter, I attribute my eye for color and feel for texture from the hundreds of balls of soft wool I got to play with as a kid, so many colors. This year she knitted my brother 3 pairs of socks that I was just in awe of. Wish I had photos. She can and has knit about everthing for a loooooong time, smile. Dont want to date her, smile.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
For those ladies that knit, you may be interested to know that a much sought-after book of 20s, 30s and 40s knitting patterns from the 70s called A Stitch In Time is being republished sometime this year or next. Apparently it chages hands on eBay for a lot of money due to going out of print in about 1979. It's being updated with new patterns and pictures. I don't knit, though I really want to learn because I was lucky enough to be picked to be one of the knitwear models for the book! :D:D Oh the stuff I got to wear...drooooool...but not to keep, or even buy (I begged!) :cry:

More info here: http://www.knitonthenet.com/stitchintime/

Kishtu

Practically Family
Knitting help!

My mum - bless her - has finally completed a cardigan for me after about 6 months work.

And it... erm.... it.... well, it's an interesting shape.

HELP!!!

It isn't pure wool, it's a wool blend, in a very bright red. It's probably about twice as wide as I am, and it's long enough to hit me at mid-hip. Probably the least flattering length in existence *sigh*

Now, there's a lot of work gone into it, and I don't want to just stuff it into a cupboard, but on the other hand this thing is like a marquee.
What on earth can I do with it?!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im not sure of the point of your question.

Are you looking to re knit it? I would think you didnt mean that, saying as how your mom went through all the trouble.

You could wash it in hot water and possible shrink it, but there is no way to tell the end result would be what you want it to.

Did she use a vintage pattern?

Im just trying to see the relevance.

LD

Kishtu

Practically Family
Lady Day - I was hoping for some advice like you just gave :)

Shrinking it would (maybe) give a fitted look, which would work for a 50s look, but like you say couldn't guarantee an end result.

I was thinking more things like on another thread someone suggested a belt over the top of a cardigan - sadly tried that and it didn't work :( Really anything that might get this thing to work with a vintage wardrobe, maybe it's as simple as unpicking the ribbing on the bottom and re-knitting it longer, but then I can't see that going too well with circle skirts and petticoats which is what I usually wear....

Ideas I guess for what look might even vaguely be achievable with some customisation of the thing.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
If it's an odd shape, you could unpick the seams and restitch it, you will have excess on the inside, but it will be wearable. Also wash it in soap flakes and dry flat, see if that can take up a bit of the slack.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Oh Kishtu, I know what this is like, I feel your pain. It's even worse when you have knitted it yourself !!!:( which I have done many a time in the past....

If it is a wool blend then a couple of washes may help to shrink it a little, but beyond that it may be a bit tricky.

The length is the easy part to fix you can just undo the ribbing and either knit a longer rib or knit more onto the main body.

The width you won't be able to fix without a re-knit really, you wouldn't necessarily need to undo the whole thing. One possibility is that you could undo up to about half way and then knit in a dolman type shape into the body.

It's always difficult when someone else put so much effort into making you something.
If it were me I would either:
1) Store it carefully away (you may decide you love it at some later point)
2) Wash it to shrink it a bit and wear it with a belt
3) Tactfully ask your mum if there is any chance she could alter it a little.

Aurora's suggestion could work too, it rather relies on just how much excess you would need to take in.

Any chance you could post a pic?

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Hello Ladies.
I'm new to Fl and just wanted to say hi and start off with a question. I knit and all the times i have been using my 40's knitting patterns it always comes out huge. I always make the smallest size and I always check my gauge. What am I doing wrong? To me it seems like even if I use a different yarn but the gauge is right it should come out the right size, no? Well, hope someone can enlighten me on this. And I also would like to say that I really enjoy the discussions here in the powderroom, I've been sneekpeeking for awhile ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
For those ladies that knit, you may be interested to know that a much sought-after book of 20s, 30s and 40s knitting patterns from the 70s called A Stitch In Time is being republished sometime this year or next. Apparently it chages hands on eBay for a lot of money due to going out of print in about 1979. It's being updated with new patterns and pictures. I don't knit, though I really want to learn because I was lucky enough to be picked to be one of the knitwear models for the book! :D:D Oh the stuff I got to wear...drooooool...but not to keep, or even buy (I begged!) :cry:

Oh my goodness, that IS good news!

A friend showed me her early 80s copy and I really wanted to buy it but they are stupidly expensive. I really like that they are the original patterns, not interpretations. I hope that's what they are sticking to in this edition.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:

Ooh, Fleur, that's you on the cover! Isn't it? :) Can we see more pictures from it somewhere?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Knitting and Crocheting FAQ

I am working on this fabulous snood pattern. I am not sure what size yarn or hook to use. It seems every pattern has a different system and my hooks and yarn balls all have different numbers and letters all over them. I am currently using a 2.5mm hook with some Red Heart Luster Sheen Sport-Fine #2 (?).

I understand that with knitting, you can check the tension, and change needle size accordingly. Can you do the same with crochet hooks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925