Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Leather Shoe Help

epr25

Practically Family
Hi there. I tried to search for this topic. I am sure it's been covered. I was wondernig if any one has ever found a good leather lotion or something like that. I have recently purchsed the shoes below. They are new old stock but they are just the slightest bit crunchy. Not bad at all. But before I rubbed them down with something I thought that I would ask everyone to see what was recomended.

redpeep1.jpg
[/IMG]

epr25

Practically Family
I have yet to find anyone in my area that I would trust. None of them are real cobblers here any more. I had one place that was good but is no longer in business.:(

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
sc_logo_80_percent.jpg

This is the best leather dressing out there. try some on a small area first. You can get it on eBay for cheap. Allow a couple of days for it all to work. If it seems to darken the color a bit, wait for a few days before deciding it's too dark, as this will often go away after it's completely dry. It goes on much like Vaseline. You rub on a thin coat with your fingers, then leave them alone until next day. Add another coat and walk away. Once they are no longer soaking up the stuff, wipe off the excess and allow them to dry for a day or two. I use it regularly on my wife's shoes. It can really work miracles on old scuffed leather as well.
I recently re-hydrated a 80+ year old leather item over a four day period. Soft as new now. This is the stuff many guys use on their WWII leather jackets and other irreplaceable items.

After they are moistened up again, you can polish as usual. :)
Never use mink oil or neatsfoot oil. Other leather moisteners/preservatives I have used that are worthwhile are Lexol PH, and a German product called Lederbalsam (Restoration Hardware). They are both creams.

(GREAT shoes, btw)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Just be careful the leather conditioner doesn't change the color of the shoes too much. I had cherry red pair of vintage shoes. I put Neat's Foot Oil on the shoes to condition the leather and it made the color of the shoes darken and slightly splotchy. I wonder if Pecard does the same thing? At any rate, it's always good to test a small, inconspicous spot first.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I edited more info into my post above, sorry. ;) Your story is exactly why i suggest avoiding "Golden Era" leather treatments - they didn't know what we know now, and there was nothing else available. Neatsfoot oil, over time, will also cause cracking. It used the be THE thing for softening baseball gloves. When old gloves are pulled from a trunk in the attic today, they are often cracked badly.

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
you've just got to remember that leather is basically treated skin, so it does need handling with some care.
im not familiar with that product in the uk, but we have something called 'dubbin' over here which seems to do the same job and is really good.
also remember to clean your leather with baby wipes, as they lift dirt and put moisture back into the leather, and keep them away from heat such as radiators!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Scotrace - thanks for the info on Pecard. I went to eBay to buy some, but there are several different types of Pecard. Which do you buy for shoes? The paste for antique leather or the oil for shoes?

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi, Ive got a pair of 30s shoes that are cracked and papery. Do you think the leather treatments would do any good now or are they best left in the box now?

Tuppence B.

New in Town
And what about snake skin? I bought a vintage pair in Copenhagen this autumn, but haven't dared use them... I worry about what polishing might do to dry scales...

(Here eagerly inspected by Soda (our Danish farmdog)- who fortunately does not struggle with skin dryness...)
SlangeskomSoda.jpg

Tuppence B.

New in Town
Thank you - Isn't she just! And she's just all eagerness, as well. Jumps like a jo-jo when she's happy, and tries to lick everyone's noses at the same time :)

Weird, but nice :)

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Cherry_Bombb said:
I've been looking to soften a pair of white suede vintage shoes I have. Does anyone know if the Pecard Dressing is ok to use?

i wouldn't try it on white suede, because even if it did work it would mark the suede terribly, you could try it on the inside lining of the shoe?

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Tuppence B. said:
And what about snake skin? I bought a vintage pair in Copenhagen this autumn, but haven't dared use them... I worry about what polishing might do to dry scales...

mmm, im not sure here either, as when snake drys out, the scales want to ping off! however there is some glue polish you can get for snakeskin, i'll go and investigate!

(Here eagerly inspected by Soda (our Danish farmdog)- who fortunately does not struggle with skin dryness...)
SlangeskomSoda.jpg

awwwww! so gorgeous!

birddog

New in Town
Leather Care

The German Lederbalsam mentioned earlier is excellent. It contains beeswax & other organic materials that do an excellent job restoring leather's pliability.

I never used Picard, but have heard alot of positive things about it. Never use anything with silicone or petroleum in it as these are non-organic & can cause other problems in the log term. Neats foot oil is OK for industrial sports use but will darken leather permanately & can promite molding in damp climates.

I have been working with leather for nearly 40 years, keeping my original flight jackets,flight bags, boots & motorcycle riding suits in as-new condition.

Look for good Lederbalsam at horse riding tach shops.

Birddog

Caledonia

Practically Family
What about squeaky shoes?

I have a pair of 30s pumps that are entirely a lattice work upper in suede with a leather backing. I've tried leather food over the backing, but the squeaking just won't go away. It just isn't possible to wear them - the noise really is obvious! Do I just need to keep working more food in? Is it just a symptom of lack of pliability?

Advice appreciated.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick