Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Leather Shoe Help

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Caledonia said:
What about squeaky shoes?

I have a pair of 30s pumps that are entirely a lattice work upper in suede with a leather backing. I've tried leather food over the backing, but the squeaking just won't go away. It just isn't possible to wear them - the noise really is obvious! Do I just need to keep working more food in? Is it just a symptom of lack of pliability?

Advice appreciated.

I think these are doomed to be worn only in loud nightclubs!

But, superstitiously, squeaky shoes are supposed to mean you're going to come into money, so do wear them once in a while!

Caledonia

Practically Family
lol Thanks, I didn't know that! Got an event at the end of the month with a large Irish input (and loud Irish music). Maybe the combination of the shoes and the Irish will work fiscal wonders! :D

Caledonia

Practically Family
artful dodgette said:
i wouldn't try it on white suede, because even if it did work it would mark the suede terribly, you could try it on the inside lining of the shoe?

artful dodgette said:
i wouldn't try it on white suede, because even if it did work it would mark the suede terribly, you could try it on the inside lining of the shoe?

I agree, be cautious. Both pairs of white suede that I have (both early 40s), quite clearly have a whitening on them. Not sure if its old or new, but I think if I applied anything to it apart from a top up whitener bad things would ensue...

I tried to loosen off a pair of caramel suede using a cleaner/restorer that I got from Clarks that states it is suitable for nubuck, and you just use a suede brush on the nubuck afterwards. Sad to say it didn't work. The suede was fine, it darkened a bit, but it didn't loosen. I tried it on the lining after that and it really hasn't helped much. However, this pair also squeaked a wee bit, not like the others I mentioned before, and now they don't, so something happened.

Idledame

Practically Family
I had a pair of squeeky work shoes. My shoe guy said it was from two pieces of leather rubbing together, and it took him 3 tries to figure out where it was coming from and to fix it. It was only $5. If you can find an old (they're always old) cobbler. He may be able to fix the problem. They also replace heels, repair shoes, purses, leather jackets etc. I only mention this because alot of younger people aren't even aware that such people exist. And they are getting harder to find, with so many people wearing sneakers.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I did happen to find a cobbler who specializes in vintage shoes (lucky me!) in Drexel Hill, PA. So if anyone is nearby and is interested, I will give them that information.

Mary

Practically Family
I have problems with a pair of textile shoes. The textile is soft of course but the heelbit and in the front it's stiff. I tried to take some water on then stretched them with boot and shoeshapers. I can wear them now but they are still unfomfortable.

Do any of you know what's inside textile shoes to keep the shape of the shoes? Is it leather so I can use pecard?

M

Miss_Bella_Hell

Beyond repair?

As a US size 9-9.5 (which I believe is a UK 6?), I've been lucky enough to come across three pairs of really nice, wearable vintage shoes in my size....or so I thought. I went to get some cosmetic work done on them at my neighborhood cobbler and he wouldn't touch two of them.

So, here are some pics...are they truly beyond repair (he said they'd each cost approximately $200 to fix, since he would basically have to rebuild them)? Should I get another opinion? If I put then on ebay, would that indicate that I'm nuts? I suspect the brown platforms might be ok but the black wedges are beyond repair. Advice appreciated...here are some pics.

Black Vogue wedges:
blkwdg.jpg

blkwdg1.jpg

Unfortunately, it's not just the bottom coming loose, the leather from the actual shoe is coming off too. There isn't a hole in the shoe itself though. The shoe repair guy saw this and said forget it.

blkwdg2.jpg

Brown Platforms:
brnplt.jpg

brnplt1.jpg

brnplt2.jpg

brnplt3.jpg

brnplt4.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Unfortunately, it's not just the bottom coming loose, the leather from the actual shoe is coming off too. There isn't a hole in the shoe itself though. The shoe repair guy saw this and said forget it.

blkwdg2.jpg

I think they mostly don't look too bad, except for this part. Any leather that's scraped off can mostly be patched, but it looks like there's damage/cracks to the platform, and I don't know anything about the fixability of that. I know shoes can easily be resoled - from this picture, it looks like that's what's needed, but there is probably something your cobbler saw that we can't from these photos.

Brown Platforms:
brnplt1.jpg

brnplt4.jpg

This is tricky - I'm not sure about repairing leather straps that are cracked like that. I've never had it done. Certainly, the inside/insole is easy enough to fix (my guy charges $20 for it though), but the straps might not be repairable. I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion.

Miss_Bella_Hell

KittyT said:
I think they mostly don't look too bad, except for this part. Any leather that's scraped off can mostly be patched, but it looks like there's damage/cracks to the platform, and I don't know anything about the fixability of that. I know shoes can easily be resoled - from this picture, it looks like that's what's needed, but there is probably something your cobbler saw that we can't from these photos.

Yeah, the bottom of the actual shoe (not the sole but the leather that your foot rests on) was coming off with the sole.

KittyT said:
This is tricky - I'm not sure about repairing leather straps that are cracked like that. I've never had it done. Certainly, the inside/insole is easy enough to fix (my guy charges $20 for it though), but the straps might not be repairable. I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion.

It's only the lining that's cracked, not the strap, so it might just be a matter of re-lining them. That's why I think they might be salvageable.

Blondie

Practically Family
Caledonia said:
What about squeaky shoes?

I have a pair of 30s pumps that are entirely a lattice work upper in suede with a leather backing. I've tried leather food over the backing, but the squeaking just won't go away. It just isn't possible to wear them - the noise really is obvious! Do I just need to keep working more food in? Is it just a symptom of lack of pliability?

Advice appreciated.
I had a pair of shoes that would poot,
seriously when i wore them for the first time my kids were so embarassed that
i wasnt allowed out of the house wearing them,
i think they had weird airpockets and combined with the shape of my foot would make loud *gassy* sounds,
so sadly put them on Ebay and now someone else has the "poot shoes"

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Miss Bella Hell- Your inbox is full, so I'll reply here-

LOL- My name is Heathyr. Doubtful he'll remember me, but tell him I've been into his shop a few times w/ Nilah Petschelt. He'll know then.

I'm glad he'll be able to help you w/ your shoes!

You're welcome!

Miss_Bella_Hell

Cherry_Bombb said:
Miss Bella Hell- Your inbox is full, so I'll reply here-

LOL- My name is Heathyr. Doubtful he'll remember me, but tell him I've been into his shop a few times w/ Nilah Petschelt. He'll know then.

I'm glad he'll be able to help you w/ your shoes!

You're welcome!

Oh duh, I knew that, I just sent you something! Didja get it?

Thanks again!

Vintage Betty

Balderdash.

The guy either doesn't want to do the job, or it's beyond his skillset.

I've brought in shoes WORSE than that to my cobblers over the years and they have repaired them for a fair price.

Time to shop around for a couple qoutes

Tip: Never, ever be in a hurry for these types of repairs. Ask the cobbler "what's good for you?" When you find someone good, just "keep checking in occasionally" to see how your shoes are doing. And don't call. Come in dressed nicely in skirt, smile and thank him profusely for trying to resurrect the dead. Bring chocolates or candy too. He'll be your new best friend in no time. lol

Vintage Betty

Miss_Bella_Hell

Vintage Betty said:
Balderdash.

The guy either doesn't want to do the job, or it's beyond his skillset.

I've brought in shoes WORSE than that to my cobblers over the years and they have repaired them for a fair price.

Time to shop around for a couple qutes

Tip: Never, ever be in a hurry for these types of repairs. Ask the cobbler "what's good for you?" When you find someone good, just "keep checking in occasionally" to see how your shoes are doing. And don't call. Come in dressed nicely in skirt, smile and thank him profusely for trying to resurrect the dead. Bring chocolates or candy too. He'll be your new best friend in no time. lol

Vintage Betty

Well GOOD! Maybe the guy up the street just wants high volume easy fixes. In any event, I would never rush an artiste! ;)

Mary

Practically Family
I found two pairs of 40's shoes today and they aren't as comfortable as I want them to be.

The first pair is in suede and they are too tight over the area I point at. I tried to put shoe blocks and a spoon (!) in them to widen them. There's leater on the inside. Can I use lederbalsam on that and not damage the suede? Or some water? Just something to make the leater softer to is gives for the pressure?.

And what should I put on them to protect them? Some of those suede sprays?

2008_0420skorhjlp0001.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
The second pair is in snake skin I think. Can I use Picard or some leater dressing on them too? I'm afraid it will flake. And when I clean them, what should I use. They are a little dusty.

And should you use it on the leater soles aswell?

There's a hard spot on them too but I hope it will give when they are softened! And the insoles a little loose so I should glue them back. Can I take just any glue?

I know it's a lot of questions but it would be horrible to destroy something that has survived until 2008. I'm sure you'd feel the same.

2008_0420skorhjlp0004-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo