Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage lipstick

Another Tip

I have found that when wearing my Revlon cream lipsticks, if I blot with tissue, and then dust over with loose powder and lightly blot again to bring the color back up, I get a nice matte finish that lasts for hours and does not kiss off or get on your teeth. I do loose some color when eating but I will try the all over liner tip that Jitterbugdoll mentioned and that should help with that.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've tried all the long-wearing lipsticks and I always end up with the same problems mentioned here - the inside of the lips wears off, and then all that remains is the liner, and you can't reapply without having a gummy mess! Also, a lot of the long-wearing ones require the topcoat, which makes it really glossy. I also feel like I have to constantly reapply the topcoat, which I don't like.

The best one I've found so far is L'Oreal Endless Lipstick. It claims it will last 8 hours. It has a matte finish and no glossy topcoat, so it feels pretty dry - but it definitely lasts. I wore it for a dance a couple of weeks ago and didn't have to touch up my lipstick once during the whole night. I think the color I picked up was called "Crimson Joy."

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Dubonnet is actually the color they used on Gwen Stefani in The Aviator (also, the eye shadow Club was used on her, and that is a gorgeous shade!)

I cam across this ad for Cutex nail polish the other day, and it showed off some fun lipstick colors, too:
866ada.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I find Mac Russian Red (haven't tried any others, though I constantly wonder if Ruby Woo is a different enough shade to make it worth investing in!) to be the best lipstick ever...and I have tried lots of those ever-wear type things. I find that after a few hours they kind of go flakey and gritty. Gross! I guess everyone's lips are different, but on me the Mac only fades on the very inside, even after eating a huge sandwich and drinking from a glass (I usually ask for a straw!). I reapply maybe once in an entire evening? It's well worth the money.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Ruby Woo is a slightly more blue then Russian Red, and a little bit more dry/matte. I am actually about to purchase another tube (if you turn in six empty cases, you get a freee lipstick of your choice, excluding Viva Glam), as I am out of both Ruby Woo and Russian Red.

decodoll

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I find Mac Russian Red (haven't tried any others, though I constantly wonder if Ruby Woo is a different enough shade to make it worth investing in!) to be the best lipstick ever...and I have tried lots of those ever-wear type things. I find that after a few hours they kind of go flakey and gritty. Gross! I guess everyone's lips are different, but on me the Mac only fades on the very inside, even after eating a huge sandwich and drinking from a glass (I usually ask for a straw!). I reapply maybe once in an entire evening? It's well worth the money.

I was passing the MAC counter yesterday and decided to stop and look at Ruby Woo. I usually wear Russian Red, Dubonnet or Viva Glam. The salegirl told me the only signifigant difference between Russian Red and Ruby Woo is the texture.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, this is all good to know. I have recently changed make-up from Trish McEvoy to Besame. I liked trish, but i found that Besame has a much longer wear. I do love the shades of the lipstick, but I have found, although it keeps my lips a shade of red, that it drys out kind of fast. Does the Mac keep it's sheen throughout the night if you don't re-apply? I just love the Besame eyeshadows. They stay on perfectly throughout the entire day with no touch ups. But, as I said, the lipstick tends to dry out, and I find myself always placing a coating of gloss over it, just to keep the shine lasting a little longer.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
Dubonnet is actually the color they used on Gwen Stefani in The Aviator (also, the eye shadow Club was used on her, and that is a gorgeous shade!)

Ahh, I wasn't aware of that! I'm guessing the shadow is matte, then? I used to like Maybelline's eyeshadows, but they tend to have those icky little glittery things in them that stick in the crease of your eyelids by mid-day. :eek:

I cam across this ad for Cutex nail polish the other day, and it showed off some fun lipstick colors, too

Old ads are such fun! I adore her nails, too. I should have mine done that way until I'm good enough at it myself. :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have both Ruby Woo and Russian Red--the texture is different (Russian Red is a little creamier), but when compared side by side, Ruby Woo leans a little more to the blue side. It's a very slight difference, but I can tell when comparing photographs of myself wearing the two shades.

Actually, Club is a 'duochrome' (“muted reddish brown with green opalescent shimmer”), and has a slight iridescence. (It does crease ever so slightly if you don't properly prep your eye lids.) I have read beauty articles in 30s-40s magazines indicating that pearlized colors were available at that time...

MAC's retro matte line of lipsticks is very dry--no sheen at all. Ruby Woo is drier then Russian Red, and MAC Red is a creme with a fair amount of shine. Dubonnet is what they call an "amplified creme"--so it has shine as well.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a lipstick combo by Max Factor that I really love, its called Lipfinity. It is a great shade of red, with burgundy tones, yet not too brown and dark. I have no idea what the name of the shade is, since I threw away the cardboard it came on, and there are only numbers on the bottom of the tubes. I looked it up on their web site, but the color they show that coordinates with the numbers on the tube look nothing at all like the color I have. I do remember buying it on sale, so I'm now concerned that it has been discontinued. Either way, it sure looks like they have a few different shades that could look 30's or 40's ish. It is really long lasting. The first step is to apply the color. It goes on like a gloss, but it is not too shiny. Then, you place a clear top coat over the color to set it. Once again, this doesn't add any extra shine, it's just to set the color. It truly is long lasting, and if you want to brighten up the color throughout the day or night, you just have to touch it up with the top-coat; this just re-brightens the under color, and doesn't cause a thick pastey mess, which a lot of two step lipsticks can do.
Anyway, I like the way it wears, and I really like the shade. Especially since it is not too bright of a red, which I know was one of the styles back then, but I just feel too self conscious in something too bright. So, aside from Besame having a great pallette, I would have to recommend Max Factor. After all, they were around back in the day, and I have been told that they try to keep their colours the same over the decades. Of course adding more modern ones, but always keeping some of the older ones. And, you really can't beat the price, which means I can buy lots of different ones to play with.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Max Factor and Cover Girl are owned by the same company, so Lipfinity and Outlast are the same product, only with a slightly different color palette. You'll notice that the two brands carry near identical items (there is a new mascara out with a special brush, for example), only Cover Girl's version will usually be about $2.00 cheaper.

Max Factor has been overhauled recently, as the brand’s sales are lagging in the US (which is too bad, considering the history). The new face of the company is Carmen Electra. They've kept some of their original products, like Pan-stik foundation, but overhauled the colors of the eye shadows, etc., to give the brand a new image.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
Max Factor and Cover Girl are owned by the same company...
Max Factor has been overhauled recently, as the brand’s sales are lagging in the US (which is too bad, considering the history)...

Ahh, yes, Procter & Gamble. I saw one of the TV ads recently; not exactly my style, but maybe those more in touch with modern trends/society will like it. :)

This subject reminded me of a good book on cosmetics and their history:
history.jpg

Of course there is also "Hope in a Jar":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805055517/103-2592564-3414236?v=glance&n=283155

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The cool-red warm-red thing is very confusing to me. As a result, I have never bought a red lipstick.

Which shade should a very pale pink-skinned person wear? Which is most flattering to creating the impression of white teeth? I'm light to the extreme but am not ivory-colored, I am PIIINK and I don't want to look like a tomato.[huh]

Also, am I going to have to learn how to apply lip liner? I'm lost here. I usually just put on a shimmery non-color and call it good.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Viola-I am super pale and *very* pink. (I do wear foundation to even out the pinkness and give my skin a more ivory tone--this makes a huge difference and gives your face an overall polished look, which is important in creating a vintage face.)

As I am an extreme red lipstick junkie as well, I think I can help you out :)

I prefer true reds (not too blue or orange) and blue-reds (cool-toned.) Orange reds are usually too warm, but they can work if you adjust the rest of your makeup (I generally avoid them, though.)

Here are my picks for reds that look great on me:

MAC Ruby Woo, Russian Red, and MAC Red. The first two are blue-reds, and the last is a true red.

Besame Red, Red Hot Red, Red Velvet, and Cherry Red are all excellent. My favorite is Besame Red.

MAC Dubonnet is a deeper red, slightly more neutral. It's slightly less shocking then the others, due to its neutral undertones.

Revlon Cherries in the Snow is a pink red that looks great as well (you would think the pink factor would be a problem with pink skin, but it's not.) Certainly Red and Love That Red are also good shades to try.

Lip liner is a must with red lipstick to minimize feathering and smearing. It easy to use--just outline your lips, fill (color) in your lips, and top with lipstick. I suggest MAC Cherry or Brick, or Rimmel Red Diva.

Hope that helps!

Irena

One of the Regulars
Are there any vintage shades (other than red) out there? Reds and I just don't agree, I think it is the contrast. In the Cutex advertisment, there is shown a coral lipstick, are these corals any different than today's?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
To give an impression of white teeth, mix in a glass water and red food coloring. Swish in your mouth for a minute, spit out. The food coloring does not stick to the teeth, but makes your gums 'pinker' which gies the illusion of whiter teeth. Also, there are many teeth whitener's out in the market that are very affordable. I have tried and loved, and so have many people I know, Crest white strips. The reason I like them is that they don't leave a gross taste in your mouth like a lot of products do, it's clean, not messy and works great.
Lip liner: it is actually quite easy to get a hang of. Just practice outlining your lips and you'll have it down...sort of like tracing. I do have some tips however for you. To create fuller lips, line just outside the natural lip line. For thinner lips, line just inside the natural lip line.
Do put on lip liner that is the same shade, or as close as possible to the color of lipstick that you are wearing.
Good luck! :)

magneto

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
To give an impression of white teeth, mix in a glass water and red food coloring. Swish in your mouth for a minute, spit out. The food coloring does not stick to the teeth
Good luck! :)

Yes! Y'know (you know obviously) that in the 20s they sold bottles of "liquid carmine" for this very purpose! (In Colette's book "Mitsou" from the 20s there's a description of the showgirl getting ready for a big date, doing this). I've been looking for an old bottle (to display, not use!) for a while. Of course back then the "carmine" was probably real carmine, made from actual beetles. :p

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ewwww...the things us girls do to be beautiful!:rolleyes: :D
Daisy, I LOVE max factors lipsticks as well...the colors are great. I'm also glad to hear what you though of lipfinity as well. I'll definetely have to buy me some!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy