Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ok..the video tutorial would obviously only work for ambidextrous folks, because I know that even if I could manage one hand doing it freehand like that...the other hand, would end up a train wreck.

so envious that people can do stuff like that on their own hands.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I got a french manicure today...I have always thought of these as very classic, where there popular during the golden era? Anyone know the history of the french mani?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:

Yep...while something similar was definitely in existence, it is doubtful it was the super neat and bright french manicure of now where the white area is extended in most cases past where the white would be in your -real- nails underneath it

The kit to do the brighter French Manicure...was invented by the guy who started Orly...in say 1970's ...

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
When it comes to manicures, I'm terrible. I never wear polish on my fingernails. I'm very hard on my nails, so they look terrible within a day. They tend to stay on the short bordering long side. They are a fuctional length, I don't dig fake nails much (they aren't practical with what I have going on). I tend to favor red and deep plum, but the business I'm in is stuffy...and well, boring. I don't think they like much color on nails. I'm considering the french mani....seems like a good idea...

I was thinking of getting a pro to paint them (reguardless of my apprehensions with salons), for my husband's x-mas party. I want my toes done too, but I can't afford both...hmmmm

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lareesie Ladavi said:
I was thinking of getting a pro to paint them (reguardless of my apprehensions with salons), for my husband's x-mas party. I want my toes done too, but I can't afford both...hmmmm

I would suggest manicuring/pedicuring them yourself and then just having them painted at the salon. Most salons don't charge much at all for a simple polish, often less than $10.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
curse this thread!!!!:rage: ;) :rolleyes: lol no, it's my own fault for using cheap nail polish. After browsing through these pages, I thought "gee, I should pain my nails, Hmm, I'm feeling vintagey and need something fun, don't I have some RED polish somewhere?" I then proceeded to paint my nails with about 10 layers of different nail stuff to make my nails shiny,neat,painted,and non-chippable. It took me an hour each hand, and looked GREAT. It stayed on over a week (which is A LONG time for me) Then I proceeded to take it off....well....TRIED....the POLISH came off, but the the COLOR stayed ON. It had stained my nails red. I hoped it would wear off, tried more remover, then a few days later had to actually FILE the stuff off of my nail, taking a few layers of my nail with it.

has this happened to anyone else?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn said:
curse this thread!!!!:rage: ;) :rolleyes: lol no, it's my own fault for using cheap nail polish. After browsing through these pages, I thought "gee, I should pain my nails, Hmm, I'm feeling vintagey and need something fun, don't I have some RED polish somewhere?" I then proceeded to paint my nails with about 10 layers of different nail stuff to make my nails shiny,neat,painted,and non-chippable. It took me an hour each hand, and looked GREAT. It stayed on over a week (which is A LONG time for me) Then I proceeded to take it off....well....TRIED....the POLISH came off, but the the COLOR stayed ON. It had stained my nails red. I hoped it would wear off, tried more remover, then a few days later had to actually FILE the stuff off of my nail, taking a few layers of my nail with it.

has this happened to anyone else?

I've never had it stain. my big problem is I usually leave the polish on for weeks at a time and it ends up cementing to my nails so I have to soak and scrape it off. :eusa_doh:

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Odalisque said:
I've never had it stain. my big problem is I usually leave the polish on for weeks at a time and it ends up cementing to my nails so I have to soak and scrape it off. :eusa_doh:

I wish my polish lasted more than 3 days!!!:rage: :rage:

Lucky Duck :)

Inky

One Too Many
I would also suggest a good base coat - and use two coats when you wear a red polish. I really like the European Secrets "Rock" products available at Sally's Beauty Supply. I use both the base coat and top coat and my polish stays chip-free for about a week, sometimes longer. And I type ALL day long for work and do dishes/laundry/etc.

I tend to stick to Orly polishes, or my new favorite, China Glaze. That seems to wear even better than Orly.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I think I will need to give it another go with orly polish.. the only kind I use is OPI cause that seems to stay at LEAST 3 days on my fingers..

Other polishes come of like a rubber coat.. soooo annoying since i spend 30 min just painting my nails.

I use base coat and top coat.. anyone know why nail polish comes right off in one Big peel??

I also wash all the oils off my hands too :)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
not sure why it peels, Perhaps you could try using a fine file and and going over the surface of your nails before you paint, if you do a few coats it shouldn't show through and will give it something to grip to.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
The best top coat I can suggest you all to buy is Seche Vite Top Coat. You put it on your nails when the nailpolish is still wet and it dries them in like 5 minutes. Very chip - proof, too!

:::

texasgirl

One Too Many
I always thought it peeled off because of the oils in your nails? But if you are washing ahead of time- I don't know. My nails hate polish. I've tried all kinds of bases, etc and it just makes my nails really brittle. I wore polish in Sept for about 5 days and I am still dealing with it-ugh.

Inky

One Too Many
LelaViavonie, one thing I do before I put on my base coat is wipe my nails with a pad soaked in alcohol to remove any traces of oils or soaps. Avoiding thick coats of polish also helps, as well as letting each coat dry thoroughly between coats. I tend to do my nails on Thursday nights while watching Survivor and then CSI, so I give myself a couple hours for the whole process.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
I tend to stick to Orly polishes, or my new favorite, China Glaze. That seems to wear even better than Orly.

I recently discovered the China Glaze and love it! the Salsa shade is the best.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Caity Lynn said:
not sure why it peels, Perhaps you could try using a fine file and and going over the surface of your nails before you paint, if you do a few coats it shouldn't show through and will give it something to grip to.

Like Inky said, make sure your nails are free of oils. You can use alcohol but regular polish remover also works well. Polish will peel if your coats are too thick. Too thick and they won't completely dry - and when it's not dry it will peel right off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot