Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Inky

One Too Many
Joan's Claws

3277712644_167167d8c2_o.jpg

A beautiful Joan hooking a rug (yes, I'm sure she was quite crafty) - but look at her manicure! What I wouldn't do for a copy of this picture in color *sigh* she's fabulous!

3277712668_f51f8e75b3_o.jpg

I've been filing mine to a point for the last few months and love it - though it took some getting used to. Looks like Joan had the same problem I do, my right index finger nail is always the shortest of the bunch.

Inky

One Too Many

Inky

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
My attempt a Joan's nails. I painted freehand. Sorry about the size photobucket won't let me make it smaller ??
100_1670.jpg

They turned out great, Goldwyn Girl! Did you leave the ends bare or with a clear topcoat? Did you paint vertically down your nail or across it?

I am going to have to give it a go when I have time.

They look fabulous - I'll be curious about any feedback you get.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
GG your nails look fab! I love it! Geez, I wish I could grow my nails longer like I used to. Not that they won't grow, but any length past my fingertips drives me insane. I kept the last tips on for a week after painting, then I had to clip them. :eusa_doh: Eh.. what's a girl to do? :D

Inky, make sure you post a pic when you do yours! I am living "long nails" vicariously through you ladies! ha ha!

Inky

One Too Many
Ok, here is my attempt to emulate my beloved Joan Crawford's 30's era nails. I can easily emulate her attitude already, lol, and there are NO wire hangers in my house ;)

3294637415_12d1d8486b.jpg

I did cheat and used french manicure guides (those stick on things) and then cleaned up any boo-boos with an old eyeliner brush and some acetone. I love them and the hubby thought they were a hoot. The red polish I used is a great red by Borghese.

I will definitely do this again, and I expect the polish job should last a while versus painting the entire nail. Those 30's gals, so practical.

(and thanks to my lovely photography "assistant" Miss Bella, now 6 months old)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aw, is she named after me?

One of my favorite manicures is painted points at the tip:
0220091109.jpg

I'm left handed, so this is the hand I did with my right, and it's not too messy. I like this manicure because it looks complicated but it's easy...just use the flat side of the brush!

Inky

One Too Many
Miss Bella Hell - why yes, of course she is ;)

I like that polish technique too, I've done that with black often. I've also painted them red and then used red glitter polish for the tips (i "heart" glitter polish - inside I am eternally 12 years old)

Laura Chase - Thanks! and yes, I used a clear base coat and a clear top coat. I think I will put another layer of top coat in a day or two.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Inky said:
Miss Bella Hell - why yes, of course she is ;)

I like that polish technique too, I've done that with black often. I've also painted them red and then used red glitter polish for the tips (i "heart" glitter polish - inside I am eternally 12 years old)
I knew it! ;)

I love that style in the combo of red with black tips. I also like pink with red tips. Fun!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Inky said:
They turned out great, Goldwyn Girl! Did you leave the ends bare or with a clear topcoat? Did you paint vertically down your nail or across it?

I am going to have to give it a go when I have time.

They look fabulous - I'll be curious about any feedback you get.

Thank you Inky and Red. Inky your nails look fab !! I painted mine with Loreal Vintage Red vertically finishing where my white tip starts, tidied up with polish remover then painted Platinum on the tips. I don't think anyone but hubby noticed.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Miss Bella melts the crazy cat lady's heart in me.

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
One of my favorite manicures is painted points at the tip:
0220091109.jpg

I'm left handed, so this is the hand I did with my right, and it's not too messy. I like this manicure because it looks complicated but it's easy...just use the flat side of the brush!

Even with the right hand I don't think I could paint it as even as you ! Love the look, when has it been popular? And what is the polish you're wearing?

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
I will definitely do this again, and I expect the polish job should last a while versus painting the entire nail. Those 30's gals, so practical.
Exactly! I like the half moons & tips of the 20's, but I normally wear my nails pointed like Joan's, so it didn't occur to me I could mix the two until I saw the picture you posted :D I cut my nails which where quite long recently (except my pinkies, I couldn't get rid of them), but still I wanted to try...

So here are my pointy, half moon + tips manicure, +1 week old:

IMG_3207.jpg

Excuse the unevenness, one nail is much shorter because it is the one that broke, I have to even them all out soon. Well, there is room for improvement all around lol

After a week my nail polish is often scratched, rubbed off on the tips (I work with my hands a lot, apart from housework), and they grow so fast you already can notice. This manicure is perfect: the tips only have top coat and I bet it is gonna take a long time before you realize the nails have grown a lot :D
I used a strenghtener base coat, two layers of Yves Saint-Laurent #3 (I love it, perfect red which lasts a long time!) and two layers of top coat (2nd applied after a few days, I'll probably apply a 3rd one in a few days). Oh, and I used frech manicure stickers :eek: I am not as good at manicure as I used to be.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Ladies, your nails look great!

I myself was sporting some long strong beautiful nails only a month to 6 weeks ago. Now they are dry, peeling, chipping, splitting. I don't know whats happened. [huh]

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Are you drinking enough water? or, in fact, where you drinking enough water the last few months? while your new nails where growing.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Medvssa said:
Are you drinking enough water? or, in fact, where you drinking enough water the last few months? while your new nails where growing.

I confess I am not much of a water drinker. But love my coffee and diet coke :coffee: [bad]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot