Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

D

Deleted member 12480

07082010423.jpg

my first attempt. I used sticky tape. It's a very weird feeling to have elegant nails - i am not used to *having* nails.

I have a question, sorry if it has been covered before. I did read up to page 12 and then got to impatient and skipped forward. When you paint your moons white, how are you doing it?

And when you paint two coats, do you leave the tape/french tip/whatever on after the first coat has well and truly dried? (doesn't taking the tape off dry nail polish just peel all your polish off?)

sorry if this doesn't make sense!

xxx

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
07082010423.jpg

And when you paint two coats, do you leave the tape/french tip/whatever on after the first coat has well and truly dried? (doesn't taking the tape off dry nail polish just peel all your polish off?)

nice job Annie they look lovely! i only really use the quick-dry polishes so i just let them dry for as long as i could. then i got sticky moons lol ! so had to use nail polish remover to get that off. i haven't done it since then, as my nails are awful at the moment and also because i really need to do a pale colour underneath and i don't have the patience to let that dry for aaagggess before i stick the stickers on then paint the topcoat!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
deleteduser said:
07082010423.jpg

my first attempt. I used sticky tape. It's a very weird feeling to have elegant nails - i am not used to *having* nails.

I have a question, sorry if it has been covered before. I did read up to page 12 and then got to impatient and skipped forward. When you paint your moons white, how are you doing it?

sorry if this doesn't make sense!

xxx

I've only attempted the moon manicure twice. Here's what I did:
1) paint the nail in the colour you want the moon to be
2) let dry completely
3) apply reinforcement/tape, etc where you want the moon to be
4) paint the rest of the nail the other colour you want 1-2 coats
5) let dry completely
6) peel off reinforcement/tape
6) apply top coat

Viola! I'm going to attempt another one this weekend, will posts pics if it turns out ok.

X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hiyas,
Here is my first attempt using reinforcements. Usually I do it free hand...which leads to messy results. As usual, one hand looks better than the other, so I'll just post the decent one. I was a bit too heavy-handed with the nail polish though..oops! I used gold for the moon, and red for the rest - my fave vintage nail combo. Sorry the pics aren't so clear - it turned out not too badly!
X
manip.jpg

maniclose.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I walked down the local high street this morning, and noticed a shop window labeled VINTAGE SALON COMING SOON. I can't wait to see what they mean by vintage salon... and I will definitely be asking for one of these manicures!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Annie- Your manicure turned out beautiful. And I love the shape of your nails.

BlackDahlia - Awesome colour combination! I'll be looking for gold this week.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
I walked down the local high street this morning, and noticed a shop window labeled VINTAGE SALON COMING SOON. I can't wait to see what they mean by vintage salon... and I will definitely be asking for one of these manicures!

Please keep us posted on that one...!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
MarieAnne said:
Annie- Your manicure turned out beautiful. And I love the shape of your nails.

BlackDahlia - Awesome colour combination! I'll be looking for gold this week.

It's funny..I've never been a big fan of gold jewelery, though I have a lot of it in my vintage collection. But I'm mad about gold nail polish!

This mani with silver and red looks good too.

X
BD

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
The gold and red looks a lovely combination. :)

Has anyone tried not using a base coat and using a paintbrush dipped in nail varnish remover to take the moon off? I say this as I used to do my frenchies this way and then apply laquer over the top. Just an idea.

Octavia

Familiar Face
Ada Vice, that's exactly how I do mine and it works nicely. :) I wish I had a picture on this computer to post as an example. I use a tiny paintbrush soaked with remover and press it down lightly to the moon, letting the brush fan out to make the curve of the moon. Once I basically have the polish off, I will touch it up with the tip of the brush. It's a little time-consuming, but it works better than any other method I've tried. The reinforcement method was a disaster for me.

Also, Black Dahlia, I agree with everyone else. That looks stunning, especially with the ring!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Octavia said:
Ada Vice, that's exactly how I do mine and it works nicely. :) I wish I had a picture on this computer to post as an example. I use a tiny paintbrush soaked with remover and press it down lightly to the moon, letting the brush fan out to make the curve of the moon. Once I basically have the polish off, I will touch it up with the tip of the brush. It's a little time-consuming, but it works better than any other method I've tried. The reinforcement method was a disaster for me.

Also, Black Dahlia, I agree with everyone else. That looks stunning, especially with the ring!

Thank you Octavia...now it's chipping and looks horrid. Must find the time to do another one!

X
BD

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
I'm not sure how many of you will want to trek out to darkest WD3, but I surely will keep you updated!

Oh crikey, I assumed it was in London, somewhere - I had to look up WD3 'cause I had no idea where that was! :)

annet

One of the Regulars
i have to keep my nails short, since i'm always working with my hands (cutting paper and using paint or inks)

but i've had them bright red for over two years now. i use this pretty cheap polish from a dutch chain called hema, and just get the reddest red they have. it lasts pretty long with a top coat and adds a nice touch to most outfits!

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Must go to Walgreens!

Today while I was at Walgreens I saw some Kiss brand nails that were red with the half moon black. They were packaged as "Halloween" but still very exciting! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points