Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
~*Red*~ said:
I see....having them done with a mani is a great idea.. but also, just as an illusion, you could try doing them in a different color, not dark.. a lighter shade, pink maybe. Dark colors will make you nails look shorter. Although it can also make them look wider. But lighter colors will make them look longer although also a bit more narrow. So maybe something in between?

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try experimenting with more colors and see what it does for my tiny nails. Thanks!

V

VargasBaby

I found this when going through some Vargas stuff, wasnt sure if this would be of assistance at all...

av117.jpg

V

VargasBaby

Helen Troy said:
Can you date that picture? Those are very pointy nails but the make-up looks 40s/50s to me. Interesting!

It's attributed as being Marilyn Monroe, 1953... I however dont know how reliable the source is on that.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's the Moonicure in 1936

That's what I call it...
And this is from a 1936 Delineator magazine.
I paint them freehand, you get good at it after a while. I have to have short nails for the piano, so this makes my fingers look longer.
l_276681e93e8db4158631695b42fdd67f.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
OOh! I just did this, before I trimmed my nails.. ha ha! I used silver instead of white.. just for fun...
100_4068.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cute! I like the silver!

And they did wear silver in the 30s too - I found evidence in an article where they say it's nice for evening, but that black is too extreme - who knew they had Goths in the 30s!

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
they used the black polish as a base and painted two red layers on top to create a very dark red, it looked like revlon's polish in vixen.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
pixie said:
Just saw an article in the Life and Style magazine about what they are calling, a "reverse french manicure" also found a link online http://alexandracandler.com/?p=523. enjoy!!

Great article Pixie! Don't you just love all of these fashions coming back in style? I can't say I'd wear black polish myself, but it sure is dramatic.

Got myself some of those french mani nail guides to try out the half moons today..going to get started in just about 10 minutes. I broke a nail so I trimmed off the rest much shorter than I'm used to...but I'm hoping they'll still look ok. You girls are such inspiration ;)

nyx

One of the Regulars
Ok, I tried out a vintage manicure last night. I took some pics, so please tell me (honestly!) how it looks. I don't think I did too bad for my first try. I had to reshape my nails (I usually prefer a square shape with rounded edges--which I call "squoval") and am not sure I got them as pointed as they should be.

100_9325.jpg

100_9329.jpg

auntdaisy

New in Town
Vintage manicure

NYX--beautiful! How did you get the moon detail so crisp? Mine would look like a child did it if I tried! [huh]

nyx

One of the Regulars
auntdaisy said:
NYX--beautiful! How did you get the moon detail so crisp? Mine would look like a child did it if I tried! [huh]

Thank you auntdaisy and Red! I used a trick someone had mentioned earlier in the thread. I used those paper hole punch protectors. I picked up a container of them at the grocery store and cut them into fourths (thirds for the thumb). Then it was a rubberized basecoat, applying the stickers, two coats of Estee Lauder red polish, and a quick dry topcoat.

It wasn't perfect. The pictures are blurry, so it might not be as noticeable to you, but I had some trouble with my thumbs and of course my right hand (because I'm right-handed). But from far away, I think they're ok.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
auntdaisy said:
Ooh! That is SO cute! did you use guides or just freehand the arc shapes?

Aunt Daisy: Thanks! I used guides. If I do my mani with no base coat (white or silver) then I free hand, and clean up the line with a brush and nail polish remover. But if I use a base coat, I use the hole protector stickers. I have big nail beds so I cut mine in half. And I used the regular french mani sticker guides for the silver/white on top. I'm thinking I may do orange and balck for halloween! YAY! ooh, or maybe black and glow in the dark!! Woohoo!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
HollyGolightly said:
I dont have moons on my fingers....

wait i lied. I have them on my thumbs..but there babys....

Is there something wrong with me? Do I need to eat more fruit or something?

Nope. Nothing wrong with you....I only have thumb moons too. Genetics.

Doesnt mean you cant -make- moons for vintage manicures using the guides...

~*Red*~

Practically Family
HollyGolightly said:
I dont have moons on my fingers....

wait i lied. I have them on my thumbs..but there babys....

Is there something wrong with me? Do I need to eat more fruit or something?

I have friends who have no moons, some just on their thumbs.. I'm pretty sure it depends on just your body/genetics/whatnot. Here is an explanation I found that should put you at ease.:)

"The 'moon' or 'lunula' you see is actually the leading edge of the matrix, which is where the nail plate cells are born. The moon is most prominent on the thumb nails and can be seen on the index fingers and the middle fingers, but is rarely seen on the ring fingers and (almost) never on the pinky fingers. This is natural!

If one has very thick natural nails, the moon will be more prominent as it developes more nail plate cells the longer it is and the more visible it is. If the nail plate is thin, one will rarely see the lunula (moon) on any of the nails.

If one sees a change in color of the lunula, it can signify an internal disorder that will require a physician to diagnose. Otherwise, not having a prominent lunula does not signify a 'health related' problem."

Here is the link for it:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=134286

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou