Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The term "broasted" was originally Boys-speak -- it was a trademark owned by a restaurant equipment company in Wisconsin, and was originally used only for products prepared in that company's pressure fryers.

Harland Sanders, the Colonel himself, was as far as anyone has been able to determine, the first person to figure out how to fry chicken in a pressure cooker, and he patented his process in 1939. The Broaster Company basically poached his system after the patent ran out, tweaked it a bit to use their own trademarked equipment, and promoted "Broasted" as a brand name thru the midwest. Properly, Broasted chicken is only chicken made in a Broaster, and the company has spent a lot of money over the years trying to prevent its trademark from being genericized.

KFC is "broasted." The Colonel just didn't think to call it that.

3fingers

One Too Many
There's a grocery store in a nearby town that has actual Broaster chicken. It is far better than anything the sorry remains of Colonel Sanders company has produced since Harland left the building. I could poison myself on the livers if I ate as many as I'd like to.

On Route 66, Lebanon, Missouri.

Camp_Joy_Modern_Court.jpg

Joy_Motel.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For much of the 1950s, Sanders' concept with KFC was to get tie-in contracts with existing restaurants such as the "Gil's Drive In" seen above -- he'd license them to use his process, sell them a pressure cooker and the coating mix, and collect a nickel for every chicken they sold. He didn't really think to open his own free-standing take-out joints -- that idea came from one of his restaurant franchisees who actually came up with the KFC name and store concept and began opening them, with Sanders' sanction, across the Mountain states around 1957. It was when he saw the success of this operation that the Colonel realized what he had, and started pushing the take-out idea himself.

Alone among the fast-food tycoons, Harland Sanders was a cook, not a businessman or real-estate speculator. He only cared about the quality of the food, not how to make the most money off it, and he ended up squeezed out of his own company by people who held values the reverse of his own. He'd swing his cane in rage to see what's become of his idea today. (Actually, he swung his cane in rage when he was still alive, to the horror of KFC board members at a stockholders' meeting in the early '70s. And then he sued the '****** bootline outfit' for millions. 'They prostituted everything I had,' was one of his more printable statements.)

For much of the 1950s, Sanders' concept with KFC was to get tie-in contracts with existing restaurants such as the "Gil's Drive In" seen above -- he'd license them to use his process, sell them a pressure cooker and the coating mix, and collect a nickel for every chicken they sold. He didn't really think to open his own free-standing take-out joints -- that idea came from one of his restaurant franchisees who actually came up with the KFC name and store concept and began opening them, with Sanders' sanction, across the Mountain states around 1957. It was when he saw the success of this operation that the Colonel realized what he had, and started pushing the take-out idea himself.

Alone among the fast-food tycoons, Harland Sanders was a cook, not a businessman or real-estate speculator. He only cared about the quality of the food, not how to make the most money off it, and he ended up squeezed out of his own company by people who held values the reverse of his own. He'd swing his cane in rage to see what's become of his idea today. (Actually, he swung his cane in rage when he was still alive, to the horror of KFC board members at a stockholders' meeting in the early '70s. And then he sued the '****** bootline outfit' for millions. 'They prostituted everything I had,' was one of his more printable statements.)

"...he'd license them to use his process, sell them a pressure cooker and the coating mix, and collect a nickel for every chicken they sold."

Boy, you can see some cheatin' going on with that count.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112