Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

A full beehive and a few bees buzzing about - oh yea!

bc2580df1d0ec5f7b1b978c895f3aa7c.jpg

Instead of our much-beloved pizza chef, we get a thoughtful description of the food - "incomparable." Not the usual neon verbiage - five-syllable words don't make for easy sign reading. But still a heck of a sign (love the linked chains here and there providing support):

View attachment 114640
Not a word you see used often, especially on signs.

I would, however, like to compare his food to other Italian restaurants. Despite the fact that he doesn't think it can be done [emoji14]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I suspect that Archie's started out as a "chicken dinner" restaurant -- a very popular road-food format in the 1940s, both for chains and independents. Giant roosters were very common signage for such places, most of which specialized in a regular sit-down table-service chicken dinner with all the trimmings, but some also offered carry-out as a harbinger of things to come. Anyone who's ever been to the "Famous Chicken Dinner" restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm in California has experienced the kind of place these were.

I suspect that Archie's started out as a "chicken dinner" restaurant -- a very popular road-food format in the 1940s, both for chains and independents. Giant roosters were very common signage for such places, most of which specialized in a regular sit-down table-service chicken dinner with all the trimmings, but some also offered carry-out as a harbinger of things to come. Anyone who's ever been to the "Famous Chicken Dinner" restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm in California has experienced the kind of place these were.

That makes sense and it's awesome.

"Hey, let's change our format to a lobster and steak restaurant."

"Well, we'll need a new sign."

"The rooster stays."

"But it doesn't make sense."

"The rooster stays."

"It will confused people."

"The rooster stays."

"It's not that much more expensive to get an entire new sign."

"What do you not understand about, 'The rooster stays'."

(sigh) "The roster stays."

FYI, you have now just experienced an argument with my father where, in this case, he was in favor of keeping the rooster.

Even though I pushed as hard as I could on the like button, it still only resulted in the same simple "like."

That said, IMHO, the man walking would have been more effective just silhouetted and not fuzzy.

Looks like there might be a little time lapse going on there. He's not fuzzy so much as double exposed.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points