Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

Talk about multitasking......

That's a great sign. Cool they kept it, and cool what they're doing. There was a homeless ministry here a few years back run out of an old hotel, no cool sign, though. It really helped a few folks get back on their feet, by giving them an address and phone number.....two things pretty much necessary to get a decent job. I don't think it's operating anymore, though, sadly.

Dixie Liquors in Georgetown, Washington DC.

bf189b0ed742cc65d79aeb33e17f8f38.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!
That is called a Roto-Sphere. Approximately 234 of them were built from 1960 to 71, by Warren Milks, with only about 17 remaining these days. Of those, less than half are operational.
There used to be one above a bowling alley near my house. I bowled there a lot back in the 80s, and it still lit up then but I don't remember ever seeing it moving. It disappeared, hopefully to be restored by some wealthy collector, when the bowling alley was demolished to make way for a @#$% walmart (because there was't already one 5 miles down the %$#@ road or anything) about 10 years ago.
My friends and I all thought that sign was about one of the coolest things ever.

Oh, and the Virginia Lodge there is pretty good too, Harv.

Never knew what we didn't know, but now I know. Amazing, fun fact, Dale! Of course, there's a fair amount online, NOW that I know. Thank you!!

Matt Crunk what a beautiful looking snapshot. The old brick building, the skeleton structure sporting the signs, the old signs, the neon, the jaggy street layout - I love it all. I can almost feel a street car going by - if only.

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Matt Crunk what a beautiful looking snapshot. The old brick building, the skeleton structure sporting the signs, the old sings, the neon, the jaggy street layout - I love it all. I can almost feel a street car going by - if only.
Thank you, Fading Fast. Apologies for the raindrops, it was taken out of my windshield as I was driving by.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Live only a few blocks away from Neil's - love walking by it and walk in every now and then for a bite. And that Greyhound terminal is outrageous.

Neil's is great! The site of it...and it's pretty neat at the counter. I like their food, as well.

Yes. That Greyhound Terminal in Evansville is really something. I remember being in there when I was a little boy to pick someone up, a time or two. It sat empty and in disrepair for a long time. I'm happy to see it back on it's feet, so to speak.

- Ian

This one is not too far from the house. Used to be a great diner type restaurant named Whitey's. It went out if business due to tax evasion in the early 2000s, and was replaced by a wine bar, which did poorly. The spot is now vacant, but this old neon sign (which still works) remains.

216f91a26df755069c8c64d33185012c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko