Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage or Tumbled Horse Hide ? Who knows the different ??

Windward

Practically Family
For what I've read the VINTAGE FQHH goes through a longer tumbling process to bring out more grain and soften up the hide ....so far
But what is TUMBLED Horse Hide - do they only replaced the name Vintage into tumbling or is it a much more longer tumbling process untill the Hide is screaming:
"OMG - ENOUGH ENOUGH !!!!" :D

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For what I've read the VINTAGE FQHH goes through a longer tumbling process to bring out more grain and soften up the hide ....so far
But what is TUMBLED Horse Hide - do they only replaced the name Vintage into tumbling or is it a much more longer tumbling process untill the Hide is screaming:
"OMG - ENOUGH ENOUGH !!!!" :D

I have samples of both. The tumbled is thicker and more flexible than the vintage. I imagine the tumbled will appear "aged" more quickly than the vintage.

Windward

Practically Family
I have samples of both. The tumbled is thicker and more flexible than the vintage. I imagine the tumbled will appear "aged" more quickly than the vintage.

That sounds good to me - cannot take my eye off from the "Happy Days" jacket in AERO's sale page in amazing brown tumbled Horse Hide - ;)Thanks Fanch.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I have had both. To me tumbled seems more like the regular FQHH, thinner than vintage. Sorry to differ here. Both (tumbled and vintage) easier to wear than the regular one...

Windward

Practically Family
For some reason I always thought that vintage horsehide was just tumbled to achieve a broken-in appearance. From my understanding vintage hh and tumbled hh are the same...

....and that was my first thought ...

Its funny - some find it thinner others find it thicker - perhaps it depends what hide is currently available.
How can I be sure if I have a special hide request - e.g. very light in color and thin or very haevy and dark in color - that after 6 month the hide is still available?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As HD pointed out to me earlier, various batches differ somewhat, but the vintage sample that I have is thinner and stiffer than the tumbled sample. However, my black vintage FQHH HWM feels both thick and stiff. Holly told me that the tumbled FQHH breaks in very quickly and soon develops patina, as seen with older jackets. Looking at the tumbled sample, I can see how that would be the case.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Welp, far from being an "expert" in that I've only one Aero and its tumbled FQ HH, but mines was. prettry darn stiff on arrival but is softening up, particularly in the chest and middle, mighty fast. It's thicker than anything else I own but I've a small sample of HH to compare it to.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko