Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage professions you'd like to see come back.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We still have a milkman Rue! Oberwise dairy still delivers every Monday morning. One thing I find wistfull is the Iceman, I don't know why except stories from my mother from when she was a girl. I thought it would be fun to have an old fashioned icebox and get off the grid a bit but, where would I find block ice????

I had an icebox for a while, a small one, and I found it was easy enough to buy five-pound blocks of ice at the grocery store. Two blocks would be enough to keep the milk cold for several days or so.

rue

We still have a milkman Rue! Oberwise dairy still delivers every Monday morning. One thing I find wistfull is the Iceman, I don't know why except stories from my mother from when she was a girl. I thought it would be fun to have an old fashioned icebox and get off the grid a bit but, where would I find block ice????

You are so lucky! We had a milkman in California when I was a kid, but we don't have one here in Ohio and they haven't had one in years or so I've heard.
I have an antique icebox on my back porch, so I would love to know where to get block ice myself. It would really come in handy for extra room during the holiday season with all the extra platters. A delivery man would be wonderful :)

zombi

A-List Customer
We had a milkman still when I was a child. I really don't know if there are any around where I live now, and since I am not intolerant to milk anyway, it would have to be SOYmilkman! In any case, I used to love to see the milkman come.

Nursing is an extremely old profession & will pretty much always be around. Of course, as medicine changes, nursing has changed drastically -- and I can't say I'd like to see nursing go backwards, as now we have much better patient ratios.

I'd like to see actual local Radio DJ's once again. Everything is pre-recorded nowadays. Also, vehicle mechanics who can work on a car without 'plugging it in'.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
You should meet my wife. She is perennially frustrated by the question "Do you work?". With two kids under age four and a 120-year-old household, you bet she works.

-Dave

used to play dominoes w/ my great-grandmother (off the boat Irish from Dunkeld), who raised 13 children during The Depression (7 of her own and the rest "taken off the road") while her husband was an itinerant worker.

anyone who thinks being a homemaker/stay-at-home mom isn't work is nuts.

Pompidou

One Too Many
While it's not totally gone yet, and I use seemingly the last bastion of its existence, I don't want the "barber shop" to disappear. I just want a simple, no BS haircut. Salons always want to shampoo your hair before they get started, and I do that 1-2 times a day as is. Fortunately, there're one or two traditional barber shops around. That said, the barbers were pretty old when I started going 15+ years ago, and they're not getting younger. There aren't any heirs, so I'm thinking barber shops will die before I do.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Window sign painters. My father used to do that for some down town shops before vinyl lettering became so cheap.

Hand painting the shop sign on the front glass. It was amazing to see some of the detail.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I don't want the "barber shop" to disappear. I just want a simple, no BS haircut. Salons always want to shampoo your hair before they get started, and I do that 1-2 times a day as is. Fortunately, there're one or two traditional barber shops around. That said, the barbers were pretty old when I started going 15+ years ago, and they're not getting younger. There aren't any heirs, so I'm thinking barber shops will die before I do.

C'mon down to NYC -- I've got easily a dozen barber shops within a fifteen-minute walk of my apartment in Chelsea, and new ones keep opening.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Theres a coupla genuine barber shops along Sunrise Hwy on Long Island that I see on my way home from work every day. Theres even a good ol' barber pole in front of at least one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy