Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage professions you'd like to see come back.....

MissMittens

One Too Many
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_hood/4796382588/

An automat here-and-there would be pretty cool too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat

The_Automat.jpg

There was a PBS show that aired 2 yrs ago or thereabouts, which was about the Automat. Fascinating stuff, especially as each meal was Chef prepared, and the quality of the food was allegedly rather good. Try today's "fast" food......yuck

1finefeline

New in Town
There was a PBS show that aired 2 yrs ago or thereabouts, which was about the Automat. Fascinating stuff, especially as each meal was Chef prepared, and the quality of the food was allegedly rather good. Try today's "fast" food......yuck

I believe I saw a show on Food network that was about the resurgence of automat style restaurants in some bigger cities. Exciting, I think.

latinmajorac

New in Town
A librarian. Now, yes, there are people 'working at a library' who fill in for the librarian position, but they are usually only there as tour guides and checkout ladies. If i have a question regarding book location and potential other sources, i don't want to hear, "have you tried googling it?". most librarians i have encountered don't even know where book sections are that i am looking for. it is a shame.

One I haven't seen in ages is the Sharpener Man. Back on Long Island there was a guy in a truck like a UPS truck with a window on the side and he'd ride around slowly with a clear tone bell that rang about every 30 seconds. Bing! He had all sorts of grinding wheels and such in the truck and you bring out your carving knives and scissors and other cutting tools to be sharpened.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Helm's Bakery truck man. My next door neighbor had their bread delivered regularly by them. It was such a thrill for me as a kid to see him open that wooden glass front drawer full of donuts and other goodies.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I just found this picture of a Helms Bakery truck interior. It is just as I remembered it 40some years ago.
helmsbakerytruck.jpg

Newspaper artist. Back in the days before photography and also into the 1930s when reproducing photos was still an expensive process most major newspapers had artists on their staff to illustrate news events such as accidents, trials, crime stories, sporting events, etc.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Definitely a cobbler and a watch maker/horologist. I have an early 20th century Seiko pocket watch with sentimental value. I can't find anyone willing to touch it. Definitely a lost craft.

My Brother-in-law is a Horologist, makes very good money doing it too.

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
The watchmaking profession is alive and well (I noticed in the first few replies that "watchmaker" or horologist was something several people missed.) I wanted to do something that wasn't so corporate and kept craftsmanship alive, so I went to school for watchmaking. I now have two certifications under my belt, and work for a high end jewelry store in KC.

It's mostly "high end" these days though... working on Rolexes, Breitlings, and other expensive Swiss luxury brands which are too costly to simply be thrown away when they need service, and which still utilize mechanical movements.

59Lark

Practically Family
Singer sewing machine service in the home or farm, I am such a person, though most dont want to pay the extra for a house call, the amish still do too some degree. I was offered three trades out of high school, tv repair, watch and clock repair. I often wonder about the clock and watch if i should have gone that way but the small parts drive me crazy, and I am so glad that I didnt try tv repair. I barely make a living these day with walmart and zeller giving away cheap chinese sewing machines but some people arent smart enough to have their old ones fixed. 59Lark your authorized singer sewing company rep for oxford country for almost thirty years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24