Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage roadside

I've eaten peanut butter cookies in the past, but I honestly couldn't say whether or not I had ever eaten even one Nutter Butter cookie so out of curiosity I picked up a package while my wife and I were shopping over the weekend.

aQ55p8j.jpg

As you can see, they're peanut shaped. They did stock something called Nutter Butter Bites that were round (at least according to the photo on the packaging), but they appeared to be "bite size" and I wanted the genuine article (or, at least, as close to it as possible). Now that I've tried them, I'm 99.9% certain I've never eaten them before. It's too soon to tell whether or not they'll become a favorite, but I like them.

Oh, and no peanut butter Oreos to be had.

I'm encourage that others are finding the shell-shaped ones. The round ones in my store are full-sized (the round bites are also sold). I have seen the shell-shaped ones in single serve packages in convenience stores that sell those size packages.

Hence, they still seem to be making the shell-shaped ones. Maybe, they are "testing" the reception of the round ones; which, hopefully, others are boycotting like I am and Nabisco will give up and just go back to only making the shell-shaped ones.

Glad you liked the Nutter Butters. If they pop up in your store, give the PB Oreos a shot - they are different from the Nutter Butters but good in their own way.

I've eaten peanut butter cookies in the past, but I honestly couldn't say whether or not I had ever eaten even one Nutter Butter cookie so out of curiosity I picked up a package while my wife and I were shopping over the weekend.

aQ55p8j.jpg

As you can see, they're peanut shaped. They did stock something called Nutter Butter Bites that were round (at least according to the photo on the packaging), but they appeared to be "bite size" and I wanted the genuine article (or, at least, as close to it as possible). Now that I've tried them, I'm 99.9% certain I've never eaten them before. It's too soon to tell whether or not they'll become a favorite, but I like them.

Oh, and no peanut butter Oreos to be had.

So, the local pharmacy (which, like almost all of them, is morphing into a combination pharmacy, mini-medical clinic and (oddly) convenience store) has the peanut-shell-shaped Nutter Butters. But for some reason, the price is stupid high even though, in general, its prices for food stuff is pretty good.

That said, I broke down and bought them because, darn it, I wanted them and have boycotted the local grocery store's stupid, hateful (but more reasonably priced) round ones. So this is what it's come to - like a drug addict, I'm sneaking around to an out-of-the-way dealer to overpay to get my fix of Nutter Butters.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Well, I wasn't expecting to click on the "Vintage Roadside" thread and to find myself in the midst of a discussion of Nutter Butters, but to connect them both, I'll say that I once (ok, maybe thrice) had a special Blizzard from that paragon of Roadside America, Dairy Queen, that used Nutter Butters and it was amazing. Alas, I've never seen them since, and I don't even live near a Dairy Queen anymore.

3fingers

One Too Many
I haven't been in a Stuckeys for years. Most of them in my travels closed years ago when the roofs looked like a light blue Pizza Hut.
Stuckeys was the first time I remember ordering something that looked like a donut but appeared to be completely synthetic. Possibly plastic of some type. Tasted like it too as I recall.

So, the local pharmacy (which, like almost all of them, is morphing into a combination pharmacy, mini-medical clinic and (oddly) convenience store) has the peanut-shell-shaped Nutter Butters. But for some reason, the price is stupid high even though, in general, its prices for food stuff is pretty good.

That said, I broke down and bought them because, darn it, I wanted them and have boycotted the local grocery store's stupid, hateful (but more reasonably priced) round ones. So this is what it's come to - like a drug addict, I'm sneaking around to an out-of-the-way dealer to overpay to get my fix of Nutter Butters.
But well worth the endeavor!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
There’s a place in Kentucky that’s not much more than a wide spot on the road called Rabbit Hash.
But there’s a general store there that attracts a whole lot of people.
3d8af687d1760bb5714c635ee864a07d.jpg

It doesn’t sell anything unusual or exceptional, but folks love to ride their motorcycles and trucks there just to buy a cold drink or sit inside and enjoy a good story.
62fb1cc94c67e8e2b2722f4610d9d17e.jpg

They had an election recently to pick a canine mayor to represent the town.
723163180e69bc0876cd7b397b4c0970.jpg

The winner was gracious and is now a fixture on the general store porch, all he wants is a pat on the noggin and for you to have a good time.
e3163709fca552c5efe546bba094dc5b.jpg

There’s a place in Kentucky that’s not much more than a wide spot on the road called Rabbit Hash. But there’s a general store there that attracts a whole lot of people...
A whole lot of years ago (mid- to late-80s as best I can remember) on the return trip from San Francisco to L.A. down California Highway 1 my friend and I found a tiny little town called Gorda (population: 8) that wasn't much more than you've described--a gas station, a woman who did psychic readings in her home, and a diner called Gorda Deli owned and operated by two middle-aged hippies who were among the coolest and happiest people I've ever met. We ordered a couple of sandwiches, and when we asked about beverages the gent behind the counter produced a small Xylophone mallet and began to "play" the beer bottles displayed on the counter as he recited the beverage selections like a mantra.

P64MWxU.jpg

They've apparently grown a bit since then. The only building in this photo that was there when we passed through is the brown house on the hill on the far right, which was where the psychic did her business. The old gas station and deli have been replaced by some of what you see here, and the other structures simply didn't exist.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I was in that area in summer of 1985 and remember the Gorda of that era! I was on my first Western fire that was eventually named the Gorda-Rat Complex because several fires merged into one huge one. This was my first time "out West" and my first view of the Pacific ocean. I promised my then-fiance I would take her out there some day, and a few years ago we were lucky enough to go see the redwoods in northern CA and then spend several days driving Highway 1 down the coast and visit my old base camp site. One thing about the West - it looks the same a lot longer than the woods here at home do. We had a great trip! Thanks for the memory!

Take care,
Regan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk