Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage roadside

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
B5FB8746-60C2-4A1B-9A6A-EA3FFCA07D6D.jpeg
B6270CFB-1E7D-483B-BBAF-52AB2EB99105.jpeg
01DB9FDE-1403-481D-9181-3E648F0D56EE.jpeg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
That does not sound like a great way to cook a burger. Pure guess, but it seems like the burger would be soggy and without the char on the outside that adds so much.

Unknown.jpg

Sometimes when I prepare spaghetti with meatballs, I’ll steam the meatballs.
It’s a totally different flavor which I enjoy on occasions.

One thing about “Frontier Charbroiled” burgers....
afterwards if and when I burp...it tastes like I just ate charcoals! :p

Last edited:

This place is awesome. I know nothing about Malibu other than what I read or see on TV/movies. Today, it always looks like expensive houses tucked tightly next to each other right in front of the beach - like this ⇧, but if this was an expensive home with expensive homes as far as the eye can see on either side of it. So, are all these commercial "shacks" now gone and replaced with pricey beach-front homes or does some of this ⇧ type of thing still exist in Malibu? Or has the beach "moved in" (ocean risen) and destroyed place like this?

This place is awesome. I know nothing about Malibu other than what I read or see on TV/movies. Today, it always looks like expensive houses tucked tightly next to each other right in front of the beach - like this ⇧, but if this was an expensive home with expensive homes as far as the eye can see on either side of it. So, are all these commercial "shacks" now gone and replaced with pricey beach-front homes or does some of this ⇧ type of thing still exist in Malibu? Or has the beach "moved in" (ocean risen) and destroyed place like this?
I've lived within 50 miles (approximately) of Malibu my whole life, and I can't definitively say I've ever been there or driven through it on my way to somewhere else. If I've been there, it clearly didn't leave much of an impression.

Growing up here we'd occasionally hear or read a news story about some well-to-do new resident of Malibu who went to court in order to have the section of beach in front of their new home re-zoned as private property (i.e., to keep people off of "their" beach), but in recent years I can't recall too many news stories about Malibu unless a storm had blown in and created a much-higher-than-usual-high-tide that undermined the cliffs upon which one of those absurdly overpriced homes was built and said home was in danger of being relocated onto the beach in pieces as a result.

California's coastline is 840 miles long and over the years a number of these "kitschy" little restaurants have come and gone, so I don't know if any still exist in Malibu. My wife and I don't spend a lot of time at the beach, but over the years we have "discovered" a few restaurants between Malibu and Newport Beach that we liked well enough to visit more than once. The Big Rock Beach Cafe in the photo opened in 1950 or '51, and at some point before it closed in the 1960s it was renamed Canfield's Big Rock Cafe after it's owner Harry Canfield. Today the more upscale Moonshadows restaurant occupies that space, and after looking at a photo or two I'm pretty sure my wife and I ate there once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner