Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage roadside

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Basketed chicken.
94a565928a5b9bc89ee27b1843c1c2d0.jpg

Rob

1997.164.33_bw.jpg

I'm hungry.

As a kid, I saw some of these type of places - that were still holding on into the '70s and, even, '80s - in NYC on the lower east side. The lower east side (now gentrified/hipster-i-fied and crazy expensive), when I was growing up, still had some of its early 19th Century culture and signposts (clothing stores showing their goods on racks out front, ethnic food stores, people screaming down from windows to kids, etc.). If memory serves, you can see some of that old extant world in the '80s movie "Crossing Delancey."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Where was this picture taken?

Miami.

(Burger King history)
Pay attention...there might be a test given! :mad:
insta-burger-king.jpg

Burger King: The predecessor of this burger mega-chain was originally founded in 1953 in Jacksonville, Fla., by relatives Keith J. Kramer and Matthew Burns.

They decided to call their first location Insta-Burger King due to the broilers they purchased to cook the burgers, called Insta-Broilers.
800px-Nieco_MBP94.jpg

The Insta-Broiler cooked the burgers in a wire basket between two broilers, allowing the burgers to be cooked on both sides simultaneously. The machine was capable of cooking over 400 patties per hour, which allowed the company to grow rapidly.

The following year, James McLamore and David Edgerton began opening Insta-Burger franchises in Miami — they replaced the Insta-Broilers with the flame broiler system that Burger King is famous for.
burger-meat-grilled.jpg
(Recently had a flame-broiler hamburger...afterwards my burps tasted
like I had eaten charcoal) :p

Due to financial hardships, Kramer and Burns sold the company to McLamore and Edgerton in 1959; they subsequently renamed the chain Burger King.
bk-1024x683.jpg

The fast food joint in Miami flipped burgers and poured milkshakes for just 18 cents apiece in 1954, in hopes of replicating the success of McDonald’s. That same year, Insta-Burger King brought on a new business partner and shortened its name to Burger King. The chain might not have reached McDonald’s status, but it certainly locked itself down as a competitor.

Last edited:
These pics popped up on a local history Facebook site this morning. The place was torn down (along with all the houses) in 1960 for a parking lot for, what was then, the only High School in town (the "colored only" High School closed in 1955). Drury University is next door as well. I'm sure my late Mother-In-Law (Class of '55) spent lots of time there.

Little_Shepherd_Grill_Neon.jpg

Little_Shepherd_Grill.jpg

Little_Shepherd_Grill_Houses.jpg

Little_Shepherd_Grill_Interior.jpg
Springfield_MO_High_School_Hangout.jpg
Springfield_MO_High_School_Hangout_2.jpg
Little_Shepherd_Grill_Color.jpg

These pics popped up on a local history Facebook site this morning. The place was torn down (along with all the houses) in 1960 for a parking lot for, what was then, the only High School in town (the "colored only" High School closed in 1955). Drury University is next door as well. I'm sure my late Mother-In-Law (Class of '55) spent lots of time there.
Little_Shepherd_Grill_Interior.jpg

Great pics and story - had to Google "Affy Tapple" and found this:

Affy Tapple - The Original Caramel Apple for 70 Years!

https://www.affytapple.com/about/

View attachment 137553
View attachment 137554
View attachment 137559
View attachment 137555 View attachment 137556 View attachment 137557 View attachment 137558
This reminds me of The Apple Pan here in Los Angeles:

KeEDoXE.jpg

Open and operating in the same location since 1947, it's said to be the inspiration for the Johnny Rockets restaurant chain. Counter seating only, no tables or booths. As such, I've never actually eaten there because every time I've tried the place was packed with three to four times as many people as there were seats, all waiting for their opportunity to dine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21