Vintage roadside

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by dh66, Dec 2, 2013.

1. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks. I'm not as good with old cars as some.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  3. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

Yeah, that's the 'Englewood' diner featured in my favorite period movie, "Road to Perdition".... they bought it and restored it for employee use, somewhere in Massachusetts (the city name escapes me).

Rob

Zombie_61 and 3fingers like this.
  4. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

Gotta wonder how that price compares with the cost of a new one from one of the handful of outfits who do just that.

EDIT: I just found a couple sources. That price compares quite favorably.

Ghostsoldier and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

I didn't think that the price was bad for what it is. My thought was that the real expenses would just be starting. Disassembly, transport, setup and rehab up to current codes, permits, bribes, etc. on a lot of sufficient size in a neighborhood where success was more likely with real estate possibly selling by the square foot would be a challenge with only 50 seats. I know less than nothing about east coast real estate though, so that's just a guess.

Ghostsoldier, Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  6. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

I could see the move — just the move — costing more than the purchase price, depending on just how far. Unless that thing separates down the middle lengthwise, that’s a waaaay over-width load, which means pilot cars, etc. Cha-ching!

It’s good to see it will live on, though. Here’s wishing great success to its new owner.

Ghostsoldier, 3fingers and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

While it doesn't really fit in neatly to this thread, I couldn't find another thread for it, but it's such an iconic illustration, that I wanted to share - so here it is:
    1afbe11a8a75c6e57bee8695d0bdf65d.jpg
    My favorite part - the angled street parking. Also, well done silhouetted man in the background left.

8. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Great picture.
    While it was before my time I have a soft spot for the Saturday Evening Post.
    Our local pharmacist, long since departed, told me that my grandfather would come in every Saturday evening, buy his copy of the post and a small package of black licorice and head home to read and listen to the radio.
    I think that is one of the mental images that makes me wish that it hadn't been before my time.

9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

In Belfast, Maine they still have diagonal parking downtown. Only place I know of that still does, and I wish there were more that did.

[​IMG]

10. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

We've got a few small towns here in Florida that have diagonal parking.

Rob

11. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I haven't been there in ~10 years, but at that time (obviously, it could have changed since), Wiscasset Maine also had diagonal parking and it was a b*tch - when the traffic was heavy, but moving - to back out onto that part of Route 1 which ran right through the town.

I have no idea of the year of this pic ⇩ from Wiscasset.
    10925021_H20442556-600x384.jpg

Zombie_61 and Ghostsoldier like this.
  12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I just went thru Wiscasset a couple weeks ago and I can't remember if they were still parking diagonal or not. There's always some new scheme going on there to try and improve traffic flow, but until they build a six lane concrete overpass, there'll be no solution that works.

13. One of our downtown districts has angular parking, but is switching to reverse angle parking (where you back in).

Angle_parking.PNG

Angle_parking_2.PNG

Ghostsoldier, Zombie_61 and Woodtroll like this.
  14. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I drive in NYC, which means I have combat experience, but I still have memories of trying to back out at an angle (with a SUV parked next to me blocking my view) as a steady stream of Route 1 traffic blasted by.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I've never seen reverse angel and, while it sounds like a disaster, I'm sure it's been thought out and won't work the way I imagine it.

16. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

I've never seen that before either, but as someone who always backs into a parking spot, I like it! It seems it would be much easier to see to your left past the car beside you parked that way, making it safer to pull forward into traffic. One of the few traffic "improvements" I've seen lately that I like - whoever drug those hideous traffic circles/roundabouts/vortices of stupidity down south should be publicly flogged.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

I am a government employee and I must say that you sir have far more confidence in government plans than I do.

18. My wife went by the (now closed) Cave Court while driving through Cave City, Arkansas.

The_Cave_Court_Today.jpeg

The_Cave_Court.jpg

The_Cave_Court_2.jpg

The_Cave_Court_Old.jpg

The_Cave_Court_1930s.jpg

"Crystal River Tourist Camp (formerly Crystal River Cave Court, today Cave Courts Motel) is a motor inn built in 1932 in Cave City, Arkansas. It is the oldest operating motor court in the state.[2] It is built of field-stones from the Ozarks.

History
    Prince Matlock built the motel in 1932 by setting thousands of rocks from the area. He used geodes and quartz as decorative rocks and created many designs of crosses and animals to add to the rock walls. Underneath the motel is a large cave for which Cave City is named.[3]The subterranean Crystal River runs through the cave's five chambers."

19. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Retirement job for you Bob.

Zombie_61 likes this.