Vintage SCUBA Diving anyone?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Matt Crunk, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Charlie Noble

Charlie Noble New in Town

Can anyone else see the photos that I posted in post #18?

2. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Yep

3. JC225

JC225 One of the Regulars

I grew up with a father that was really into Jacques Cousteau and I remember never missing the show growing up. I ended up getting certified and later working at our local dive shop for several years. I was of course exposed to several generations of gear including my fathers original "U.S. Divers DA regulator and twin 80's."
    I meanwhile, own and was diving with a "Draegar rebreather" and always told him to try it but could never get my him to budge on his classic gear. I would tell him to try the new technology and he would just say there just say "there's nothing wrong with this technology!"

Bugguy likes this.
  4. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

I grew up in the dbl. hose era on the Middle Coast. In this thread #12 I have a picture of the USD DA I keep up to spec. My go-to single is the then top-of-the-line ScubaPro Air I w/ a Poseidon Cyclon 100 octopus. As for twin 80's, now, that would be hernia time.

For fun, I have a batch of Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) Sea Hunt CD's to remind me of back when.

5. JC225

JC225 One of the Regulars

We were a ScubaPro dealer and of course carried some other brands as well but hands down ScubaPro was the big name in the shop. The quality was second to none and we never had to worry about gear issues. One of my friends used an "Air 1" and would have parted with a organ before that reg! I was raised on U.S. Divers and loved that gear. I had the classic tanks, some of the later regs and I even had one of the ABS triple tank systems. It's sad because I don't think once the company sold it was ever the same. Some people love the new "Aqua Lung" gear and swear by it but it just didn't feel like the real thing.

I still use Rocket Fins and love them!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020