Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread

Great idea. I’m still waiting on some tools, and it turned out that the three of the hat bodies I bought aren’t big enough for me. Bummer, but it will all get worked out.

Maybe you can get a message to him through his wife's ebay account where she's selling the ribbon???

I too suggest you try through the ribbon for sale on Ebay. He has responded to me through that means.
Thank you both.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone heard from Art lately? He last contacted me on March 12th and he’s not responding to my PMs. The only other contact information I have for him was his shop at VS which he is no longer associated with.
I texted him on April 13th about a hat on eBay Marsha had listed. Asked if he was still in the Northwest, which he is.

My dark moss wasn't big enough either. Told Michael to make it for my daughter's birthday present. 3 of us looked at a dozen different ribbons.... felt has been blocked.

Blue smoke, though, should be a grand hat in my size. 59.4 cm LO.

I wrote to Art before placing my order and told him I was only interested in this size of hat bodies: “I just need them to be big enough for a 3” brim, 6” open crown, and my 7 5/8 head.” I bought two blue smoke, a dark moss, a silverbelly, and several of the Tonak felts. I sent Gannon three hat bodies and of them only one, a gray Tonak, will block out to my required dimensions. I’m sure it was just an oversight by Art as he had a lot going on, but I don’t have any use for hat bodies that are too small.

Tukwila

I wrote to Art before placing my order and told him I was only interested in this size of hat bodies: “I just need them to be big enough for a 3” brim, 6” open crown, and my 7 5/8 head.” I bought two blue smoke, a dark moss, a silverbelly, and several of the Tonak felts. I sent Gannon three hat bodies and of them only one, a gray Tonak, will block out to my required dimensions. I’m sure it was just an oversight by Art as he had a lot going on, but I don’t have any use for hat bodies that are too small.
I basically said the same thing.... 6" x 2-3/4" for size 7-1/2.

I was pretty sure my dark moss felt wouldn't get there as soon as I opened the box from Art. Michael confirmed it.

But, in size 7-1/8, for my daughter, we're getting 5-3/4 x 2-3/4 , which is good for her but i still need my dark moss fedora, hehehe.....

I basically said the same thing.... 6" x 2-3/4" for size 7-1/2.

I was pretty sure my dark moss felt wouldn't get there as soon as I opened the box from Art. Michael confirmed it.

But, in size 7-1/8, for my daughter, we're getting 5-3/4 x 2-3/4 , which is good for her but i still need my dark moss fedora, hehehe.....
I have some beaver bodies from Art that are on the small side too. I made one up for me and ended up with a 2 1/4' brim and about a 5" crown on a 59cm head. The rest are stored in my motor home in WA state so untouchable for a while yet but I fear they too will not fit me. But that is probably a good thing as I don't need that many hats.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm sorry Gentlemen but the time has arrived that I must stop taking orders. My official cutoff date will be 8/31/2019. I'm not at all sure i can finish all of your orders before the New Year but will continue to work on them until finished, perhaps in January. I want to thank everyone for what has been an overwhelming response to my retirement plans and pledge to not retire until every order has been completed.
I'm very late to the party, having been absent from TFL for a long time. Your retirement saddens me, as I've always admired your work, even though I was never able to get around to buying one. With that said, congratulations on the retirement. You are a credit to your craft. A scholar and a gentleman, as my Dad would have said. I hope retirement treats you very well.

frussell

One Too Many
I second the “Art had a lot going on” opinion. I know, because I had a hat on order with him to be finished before he handed the business over, and it just fizzled out. I even got a photo of the nearly finished item, then all communication stopped. Weird, but I get how things can snowball and get out of hand. Did anybody here end up with a silver belly 7 7/8 inch large brim hat? It looked like a beauty in the photo. Frank

I second the “Art had a lot going on” opinion. I know, because I had a hat on order with him to be finished before he handed the business over, and it just fizzled out. I even got a photo of the nearly finished item, then all communication stopped. Weird, but I get how things can snowball and get out of hand. Did anybody here end up with a silver belly 7 7/8 inch large brim hat? It looked like a beauty in the photo. Frank

7 7/8! You poor soul.

frussell

One Too Many
I’ve lost a lot of weight and been keeping my hair super short, getting back into 7 3/4 territory lately. Wasn’t trying to disrespect Art, by the way, I’ve had three or four of his hats, still have two that I’ll have till I die. I’m a big fan. It was just a weird situation.

I’ve lost a lot of weight and been keeping my hair super short, getting back into 7 3/4 territory lately. Wasn’t trying to disrespect Art, by the way, I’ve had three or four of his hats, still have two that I’ll have till I die. I’m a big fan. It was just a weird situation.

Have you contacted David Gibson? It could be that your hat is still there.

The second to last of my VS projects. I bought a very thin felt, too small for me Borsalino a while back. It was almost certainly made for the religious market. I had David at VS remake it in an OR style. I’m not usually a fan of black hats, but I really wanted a black hat in this style. The felt is very thin and soft and much lighter and...”flimsier” than any OR I’ve ever handled (vintage or modern). Due to the amount of felt available, the crown is “only” 5 3/4 inches. The bound brim is exactly 2 3/4 inches wide. I’m thrilled with how the hat turned out. David said he had to block the felt several times to get it to stay in the shape we wanted, but he assured me it has been tamed and will stay as blocked. I gave it a quick dry diamond crease and I’m beginning to reconsider my opinion on black hats! This is a great use of the commonly found black wide brimmed Borsalinos...all told with donor hat and the work by VS I’m into this hat less than the cost of a current 6X OR!

483A0C7E-C08B-4DE0-BD6B-FBE2B31DAC89.jpeg
5F41E8AE-5BEB-46ED-8F45-9766542562D7.jpeg
3904FCE6-0A2A-4C44-A0FC-EE8D4348B874.jpeg
5C64B8F1-840B-4BC8-A5D2-FD2768078F10.jpeg
F28AD3CB-862F-4407-B362-E258EF0BBA5B.jpeg
15E7D558-B1D3-4EA4-8038-7C0921A7C2B3.jpeg
2D0B9087-C9E8-4861-86EE-677AE6CBA3CC.jpeg
C0EF39B8-A475-46A5-965E-6F71C7760E9C.jpeg

Last edited:

Tukwila

The second to last of my VS projects. I bought a very thin felt, too small for me Borsalino a while back. It was almost certainly made for the religious market. I had Divid at VS remake it in an OR style. I’m not usually a fan of black hats, but I really wanted a black hat in this style. The felt is very thin and soft and much lighter and...”flimsier” than any OR I’ve ever handled (vintage or modern). Due to the amount of felt available, the crown is “only” 5 3/4 inches. The bound brim is exactly 2 3/4 inches wide. I’m thrilled with how the hat turned out. David said he had to block the felt several times to get it to stay in the shape we wanted, but he assured me it has been tamed and will stay as blocked. I gave it a quick dry diamond crease and I’m beginning to reconsider my opinion on black hats! This is a great use of the commonly found black wide brimmed Borsalinos...all told with donor hat and the work by VS I’m into this hat less than the cost of a current 6X OR!

View attachment 232811 View attachment 232812 View attachment 232813 View attachment 232814 View attachment 232815 View attachment 232816 View attachment 232817 View attachment 232818
That turned out really well, Brent!

This is a 100% hare fur felt hat body that Agnoulita sold and that Panos @PanosChris gifted to me. The felt is very nice. It’s tightly felted and, in my opinion, the equal of Winchester’s beaver for feel and shaping. David called it a velour, but it’s more like a suede finish. The felt was very large, just like I like them, and David could make it just as I asked: 6 inch open crown on a 52 block and a 3 1/4 inch (that 3 2/8 inches for Bowen ;) ).
This and the Borsalino conversion I posted earlier were sent to VS last October, but well worth the wait. Now for autumn and cooler weather so I can actually wear them.

C5196FD0-8808-4124-821D-B86056D1C8B3.jpeg
B35B8805-FAFA-464C-8312-146F04074015.jpeg
9BCD57A2-8C72-456D-8551-EE11734332A4.jpeg
7D413DD0-6F29-4CDF-91A8-27BEA689E263.jpeg
A9232918-B638-468B-90FD-100EBCC10AC2.jpeg
603621FF-EC35-4799-A704-4F903055C263.jpeg
2BA26628-344A-4A8D-B295-38B29033A916.jpeg
41F56F19-E6DA-4F0E-B043-1805F30D1B5C.jpeg
5616DF1D-6EF6-4D04-A1A9-AAE621584F76.jpeg

The second to last of my VS projects. I bought a very thin felt, too small for me Borsalino a while back. It was almost certainly made for the religious market. I had Divid at VS remake it in an OR style. I’m not usually a fan of black hats, but I really wanted a black hat in this style. The felt is very thin and soft and much lighter and...”flimsier” than any OR I’ve ever handled (vintage or modern). Due to the amount of felt available, the crown is “only” 5 3/4 inches. The bound brim is exactly 2 3/4 inches wide. I’m thrilled with how the hat turned out. David said he had to block the felt several times to get it to stay in the shape we wanted, but he assured me it has been tamed and will stay as blocked. I gave it a quick dry diamond crease and I’m beginning to reconsider my opinion on black hats! This is a great use of the commonly found black wide brimmed Borsalinos...all told with donor hat and the work by VS I’m into this hat less than the cost of a current 6X OR!

View attachment 232811 View attachment 232812 View attachment 232813 View attachment 232814 View attachment 232815 View attachment 232816 View attachment 232817 View attachment 232818
Brilliant! Wonderfully done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112