Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sizing

shindeco

A-List Customer
Just had to revive this thread because the book I'm reading (The Gentle Hangman by James M. Fox) gives a great example of vintage sizing. The lead female character, Suzy Marshall, is described in the beginning:

"Johnny's auburn-haired size 12 wife, is 115 pounds of admirably proportioned young woman"

Can you imagine anyone today who's 115 pounds even considering looking at a size 12??

Nashoba

One Too Many
Or jumping for joy when (like me) for the first time in forever they literally fit into a perfect size 16! Last time I took my measurements and compared them, I was shocked that they exactly matched the size 16 measurements.....thrilled I was I tell you...thrilled.
What scared me is that in the modern world. I wear a 4. Talk about a mind-blowing difference in numbers. a 16 to a 4. What were they thinking? Ugh. No wonder people get confused. And then I just ordered a bridesmaid's dress and they ordered me an 8. I just don't get it. I really don't

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
All clothing should be sized by bust, waist, and hip measurements. More advanced sizing by top bust, shoulders, and lower waist.

Period, end of story, thats all she wrote :p
Oh, to dream.....

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
There was a show recently here where they discussed exactly this and all the women protested saying they didn't want to know their measurements, or for anyone else to know it. Sadly, I think vanity sizing is actually very popular with the masses. As is cramming into stuff too small to delude yourself!

ShortClara

One Too Many
And vanity sizing is an issue for the very small. I'm fairly small, and I used to be a size small. Now I have to get XS to have things fit, esp on top or in dresses. (I'm larger on the bottom - sizing not a problem LOL)

My best friend though is smaller than I am - just naturally tiny. Sometimes she just can't find things that fit unless she goes to juniors/ kids and it's a pain in the butt!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
TaxiGirl said:
I had that conversation with a very petite friend of mine last week... she was trying to buy an interview suit, but no where in the mall could she come up with anything in her size -- the 0s were too big.

My biggest problem, on the other hand, is that I can get clothes that fit in the waist or in the hips but not both. *sigh* And of course that the sizing numbers vary, apparently at random.

I wish we could just use measurements, like some men's clothes do. I would be FINE with that. But for the moment, I won't try to buy ANY garment online that doesn't give measurements in the auction or sale. Whether it's vintage, or whether it's modern.

It makes me wonder what sort of early-21st-century vintage my hypothetical granddaughters might find in the future equivalent of a thrift shop. And what they'll think women today might have been like.

OMG, this is my exact same predicament. I am supposed to be a size 2, but lately I have been going and EVERYWHERE I am either a zero, or smaller, what is up with these sizes today?!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
All clothing should be sized by bust, waist, and hip measurements. More advanced sizing by top bust, shoulders, and lower waist.

Period, end of story, thats all she wrote :p
Oh, to dream.....

LD

If only! Not quite the same, but flat measurement sizing is one of the few things ebay has right!

Vanity sizing is one of those issues that makes me bring out my soapbox, a huge pet peeve of mine and one of the main reasons I hate shopping for modern clothes.

I also make sure to always say "I wear a size 16 (or 28 or 4 or whatever)" rather than "I am a size 16". It's my own ineffectual attempt to strike out at those powers that would have women defined by their body size.

PS Love your avatar LD--great hat!

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
There was talk of putting measuremants on UK clothes, though I can find any information on it now.

Unfortunately it doesn't look likely, it seems that people would rather have a smaller number on their clothes than wear something that actually fits..

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
yes, wouldn't that be a dream. Like guys's pants, very simple... 30/34 or 32/30 or whatever. Your measurements are your size, it just makes too much sense.

ShortClara

One Too Many
TheKitschGoth said:
Unfortunately it doesn't look likely, it seems that people would rather have a smaller number on their clothes than wear something that actually fits..

I think you're completely right! I'm amazed at the people I see who just don't wear clothes that actually fit. And usually, clothes that are too small make you look larger than clothes that fit properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters